How old are you?

Originally posted by Uberpickle:

I'm 17 going on 18. It seems whenever I get into a game community, many people are soo much older than me (I play a lot of sims and stuff).

Lad, just about anywhere you go people are going to be much older than you. Whereabouts in Chicago do you live?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? This again? Oh well...

I'm 62 but sometimes I feel like 25. Then I try to get up out of my chair...

Yep, I was here before BTS even had electronic computers. You mean you didn't know that the alpha version was coded on an abacus? That's why it took so long to come out.

Michael

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I know one rabid armor hobbyist/wargamer who - I think - is just about age sixtynine by now. Only reason he doesn't play CM currently is his mac runs OSX.

Does it reassure you or frighten you Uberpickle that this military/armor/wargaming interest of yours just might torment you for another FIFTY years?! :eek: :rolleyes:

Nope and I plan to make it a very deep hobby. In fact, one of my life goals is to play the REAL version of combat mission with tons of guys in the field with airsoft guns and tank mockups over pickup trucks to re-enact battles. Could you imagine the 10th mountain division take on the SS Waffen near the cloud gate thing in Chicago? If that bean got hit, it would sound like:

"Front superstructure hit, Ricohet". smile.gif

But anyways, I dont even think I have enough games or have played enough people to truly be a wargamer but im getting there. I'm a huge fan of Jane's games, the game IL-2, battlefront's T-72, Operation flashpoint, Tac-ops 4, Dangerous Waters,Falcon 4.0, Lock on: Modern Air Combat, etc. I wish I could get my hands on the board games though, but I dont have anyone to play with around here that's my age so hell, maybe I could get one of the SAI's down at the JROTC office in my school to sponsor a wargaming club.

Nah, I think ill stick to my grassroots approach to recruiting new players.

35. Damn, where did the time go?

Good game selection, excellent actually. Love OFP.

When I am back in the states, I live in southern Wisconsin, about 1-2 hours from the Chicago area. We have a group that plays some of the old board games, Advanced Squad Leader, Advanced Third Reich, The Third World War, etc. Maybe you could drop me a line and when we start gaming again, you might be able to drop by and see if you want to get into a game or two. Won't be till the fall though, I am in Iraq/Kuwait till August.

lizardman743,

I think it's because whether or not one gets bitten by the wargaming bug has to do with a) initial exposure and B) the kind of wargaming climate you're in thereafter. In my case, I got AH's Tactics II as a gift when I was twelve, played that, Kriegspiel and several others for years with family members (Dad was a defense engineer and a military history buff, but would never play), but really didn't get going on wargaming in earnest until my senior year of high school and right after graduation, when I found that a number of newly met friends (moved coast to coast in my senior year in late November) also were wargamers and met more through a local hobby shop. That's when my interest really took off, fueled by a desire to learn more about modern warfare, hence heavy purchases of SPI titles, though I played lots of Midway, Russian Campaign,

WSIM, PanzerBlitz, etc., as well.

Got into computer games through dabbling with Red Baron and Flight of the Old Dog on the Amiga, which offset a disastrous experience with SSI's Red Lightning (got clock cleaned by focusing on one of some dozen screens and lost war in the other sectors). A then housemate and longtime friend got Panzer Elite, and while reading up on it (really got into accurizing it as part of playing it), I happened to encounter the now famous CMBO scrolling armor banner. I clicked on that, downloaded the Beta demos, and was totally shattered by what I saw. 3-D beautifully done AFVs the size of MicroArmour with guns that traversed and even recoiled. I vividly remember looking on in stunned amazement as my StuG III pivoted its casemate mounted gun a few degrees and blasted a Sherman. Miniature combat without all the hassles of looking up stuff, trying to hide, morale checks, dice which kill when they get loose, etc! Practically lost it when I zoomed in on infantry and watched heads turn!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by Tagwyn:

63!! I'm the oldest! What a distinction.

Tag

Does this mean we can't rip on Emrys any more ? :(

I'm 31....and for each one of these threads I answer, another year or two drips away, so please stop with the "how old are you" threads tongue.gif .

//Salkin

I guess I'm one of the oldest at 60. Got into computer wargaming with the first ones from SSI like Bismarck, Napoleon and Ambush. Played Flight Commander years ago and thought the wego system would work great on a ww2 squad level. And then, there it was. They must have been reading my mind. I still have the tank print they gave away for pre-ordering cmbo.

53, me.

Good to see the mature enthusiasts here.

Even better to see the new blood coming in!

CM, for me, is the pinnacle of combat simulation. (A tip of the hat to John Kettler; I identify a bit with your wargaming experience, sir.) I played Avalon Hill and SPI board games for many years; I was quite mad for Panzerblitz. But the CM demo, "Chance Encounter" was an absolutely electrifying experience. Sturmgeschuetze popping into view unexpectedly, shot crashing through my Shermans, tracers zipping out of the woods to scatter my troops; I realized that I was on a wild roller coaster of combat, better than I had ever experienced before. I also realized that I had suddenly been booted back to the status of "rank amateur" despite my previous wargaming experience. Wonderful. Brilliant! I've pre-ordered every version of CM ever since.