One of the more disgusting things I've ever seen in my life

I think this is what you call Demolition Derby with tanks. Pretty stupid.

However, in one of the best CMBB scenarios I've ever played, there was a similiarly silly moment (fortunately only one). My Pz IV was defending a small rise when my opponent's T-34 charged the position. My morale was pretty low at this point, so that must have accounted for the fact that the Pz IV couldn't get off more than a couple of shots, both of which ricocheted. The T-34 kept coming, straight at me, and at sixty seconds, both tanks were head to head, touching, with their gun barrels locked in the classic swashbuckler's position (before the good guy pushes the bad guy away and stabs him). The next turn showed that both tanks had a 0% chance of hitting the other. It was about the most unrealistic (and dumb) situation I've ever seen in CMBB.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COH was never ment to be completely serious. It's supposed to be a good game. Which it is.

And for a real factor, luckily not even CMBB and CMAK can be completely "real". It won't simulate that the red army raped 2,000,000 german women for example.

In short, if it was real war, it would be anything but fun.

Seems like some of you desktop generals forget

about this.

[ September 20, 2006, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: ChristerS ]

Originally posted by ChristerS:

And for a real factor, luckily not even CMBB and CMAK can be completely "real". It won't simulate that the red army raped 2,000,000 german women for example.

about this.

However, I really would like it and it could possibly be implented with some work. It could be added as a feature in CMC as a special technique to boost morale!

If I had all the options I would really have on a battlefield, I think it would be way more fun!

More options + Realism = FUN!

Of course the game cannot be completely realistic and of course I and many others here accept that fact but, BUT being damn close to realistic helps. At least then it's not an insult to the commanders and soldiers who fought in WW2 by saying: "you coulda' rammed your Sherman into a StuG!"

Historical inaccuracy is bad anywhere. From the holocaust revisionists to any other kook that tries to re-write history it's an insult to those who were there.

Combat Missions does not say it realistically models war. It says it realistically models a very rare circumstance, a battle between two company sized elements in how it tactically plays out. Outside of the game scope there are a ton of unrealistic things obviously.

As for RTS in general I actually feel like they have gone backwards overall. Back in the Warcraft and Starcraft days I could imagine that the hit points were an abstraction of a larger unit (my orc was actually a company of orcs in my mind).

With a Sherman or a Panzer sitting on the field blasting away just feels dumb and can't even get any abstraction.

So I'm trying to imagine the backstory that explains the random objects scattered about the streets (i.e. besides that they're just doodads to provide cover for the shooters).

"Maurice, put down zat packing container full of steel ingots, and load ze cast iron replica piano on ze reinforced steel tumbrel cart! Ze Amis will be here in 30 minutes!"

I've got Company of Heroes...bought 2 copies for LAN play, as a matter of fact. Is it CM/BO/BB/AK? No...not by a long shot...but then I already have all 3 of those.

Is it fun? Yes...very silly, but it's the kind of stuff you'll just laught at loud at, and have fun with your buddies playing. Is it "realistic"? No, but it doesn't have to be. And, as much as I love the CM series, I've seen enough silly stuff in those games to last a lifetime.

The explosions and sound effects in the game are quite good...that still pic of the explosion really doesn't do justice to what they're like in real time. When the OB arty hits, for example, the whole room shakes.

To each his own, but if you've enjoyed C&C Generals or Dawn of War, chances are you'll enjoy this too. If not, that's okay...there are plenty around who will.

Originally posted by LongLeftFlank:

So I'm trying to imagine the backstory that explains the random objects scattered about the streets (i.e. besides that they're just doodads to provide cover for the shooters).

"Maurice, put down zat packing container full of steel ingots, and load ze cast iron replica piano on ze reinforced steel tumbrel cart! Ze Amis will be here in 30 minutes!"

2 questions:

1) Isn't that a Kawai Mark IV piano? Those weren't available in Europe until September, 1948, at the earliest.

2) Whose reinforced steel tumbrel cart mod are you using?

Originally posted by TheBlackHand:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />In short, if it was real war, it would be anything but fun.

about this.

Gosh, thanks man, I had almost forgotten all about those Kuwaiti oil fires that I slogged through a few years back.

Anyway, some of this conversation reminds me of . . .

tanks.jpg

tank3.jpg </font>

Originally posted by John Kettler:

At first glance, it looks like the Sherman is simply driving past the dead Panther (and halftrack?), but a second glance reveals the gun on the Sherman looks a bit limp, as in likely dead. Do you have the story behind the picture?

sorry, nothing detailed. it's from the counterattack of 2nd SS against the Poles on August 20th. apparently that Panther knocked out 5 Shermans before it got wasted. yeah, the other wreck is a German halftrack.