What do we want in the next Combat Mission game

Uzi

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yacinator it would be so cool if the juiceless helicopters then crashed into trucks carrying napalm dont u think?
would be cool if u had a convoy of helicopter fuel trucks driving close together and a sniper shot 1 of the trucks and it blew up and the truck behind it blew up and so on. incendinary grenades would be cool. also if i'm not mistaken they had these cool huge assed artilery guns that fired nuclear projectiles. also in vietnam there was this bomb called "daisy cutter" that was used to blast LZs out of the jungle. It was made from c4 but it made an explosion the size of a small atomic bomb. just think about it: don't take a hill, just evaporate it. it's dropped from a hercules transport so it was easy to shoot down. also i have mentioned this before but in an mg team everybody should have his own gun instead of the 1 heavy mg.

ok so the daisy cutter is made from GX(ammonium nitrate, aluminum powder and polystyrene) and it makes an explosion 1/1000 the size of the hiroshima bomb. i said a small nuclear bomb. i'm not a grog so don't blame me for not getting the facts right.

if u don't belive me go here:

http://www.nd.edu/~techrev/Archive/Spring2002/a8.html

P.S.

Two factual errors in one sentences
u r talking about 1 sentence so u don't have any s' at the end of sentence. like u said "nice going"

[ April 12, 2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: yacinator ]

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

How about nuclear hand grenades too? Didn't NATO have those?

;)

Michael

Yes they have them.. They give them in the post conflict situation to the former war parties ;)

They forgot to give them to the Republican Guards in Irak...

Back to the topic at hand. smile.gif My wish list has two main points.

The first is a campaign system that carries over your loses from battle to battle much like Close Combat 2. While I still enjoy CM more than CC the most enjoyable Wargaming I have ever done was the campaign game in CC2 against a friend of mine.

The second wish is for the ability to play cooperatively with 2 or more players per side. I have always enjoyed playing cooperative wargames. They add a whole new dimension to the experience.

Incoming!

Woodey

in current cm games there's a burning woods terrain type. how about a burned woods terrain type? or dead woods terrain type. that could be used to simulate areas sprayed with agent orange. that would make fighting more challenging because of what used a tank barrier now could become a flat desert perfect for an aromored attack. it would be a good idea if engineers could blow down trees so in an ambush a tree in front the leading tank and a tree behind the last tank would be blown down creating a tankproof death trap. also passangers can shoot. would be cool if the crew of a jeep died an infantry team could get in and drive. and soldiers can steal civilian or enemy vehicles. would be cool if cars actually crashed into each other. the last thing is a huge stretch but it would really kick ass if there were elephants or water buffalo. like the vc could ride the elephants if they were nice to them. the elphants should have morale levels. a normal elephant would just go about grazing (or whatever else elephants do) but a panicked elephant would charge at anything it sees.

their morale levels would drop if they were shelled or got in the middle of a fire fight or choppers flew over them.

Not to belabor a constant refrain from many owners of the CM series, but a campaign component for the game would really be a welcome addition. Battlefront has done such a good job of presenting a realistic (or as close as a game would allow) environment, I would like to see them take a crack at also presenting a gamer with realistic replacement situations as well.

I agree with their assessment that some other games let you upgrade in an unrealistic way so that you can game the system and end up with all elite troops supported by Tigers and Tiger IIs creating unrealistic results. I would like to see how they would handle this and create real battlefield choices so that gamers would not recklessly throw all their troops at a position because there are no post-game repercussions. Heavy losses would result in either a degrading of quality of troops (if you were lucky to get replacements quickly).

The obvious problem, and the one I think the developers have had the most problem with, is how troops gain experience in a realistic manner. The bottom line is that the longer soldiers survived the more effective they became – the degree of effectiveness varied, but they became more effective. Replacements were rarely of equal quality. This was a consistent problem for battlefield commanders.

How about pontoon bridges? In real life they can be made by tying togeter a bunch of boats together, but in cm i tried to put some assoult boats close to each other and have my troops embark one after another but it didn't work. That would add new tactical possibilties to the game. Also egineers should be able to put a deck over the boats so that units purchased from the "vehicle" section can ride over. More permanet pontoon bridges made of steel would be nice too. Also if the next cm game is happening in the modern times/nam/Iraq there could be vehciles that have a bridge on them that can be stretched out over like 30 meters (I'm not really sure, I'm just estimating from what I saw on History Channel) so that tanks and infantry can cross over. Now there are light bridges, medium bridges and heavy bridges. They should add Bailey bridges (I think that's what they call them) that can be moved in between battles in an operation. MP units should be availible. 2 kinds of MP units should be put in the game; normal MPs that are like cop and are armed with pistols and (I'm not sure about these) combat MPs that defended airfields in Vietnam that are armed like normal soldiers.

Sorry, but I'm not going through all those replies , so if I have copied someone else I apologise.

It would be nice if the gun\howitzers and SPs with them in could use the TRPs. Have a minimum indirect range so they could only be used on the larger maps. These howitzers had a variable charge system to produce a high looping trajectory. Why have this?

Nice to used the on-board art sometimes and not just spotters.

Originally posted by yacinator:

[snip snip snip] ...but it would really kick ass if there were elephants or water buffalo. like the vc could ride the elephants if they were nice to them. the elphants should have morale levels. a normal elephant would just go about grazing (or whatever else elephants do) but a panicked elephant would charge at anything it sees. their morale levels would drop if they were shelled or got in the middle of a fire fight or choppers flew over them.

Hoo boy elephants taking a morale hit – if we close our eyes we can see Charles whetting his programming tools in eager anticipation of the Great Elephant Add-on, not to mention Madmatt with his portable ACR and a bag of white mice who is no doubt spending his Easter holiday visiting zoos in an attempt to capture the frenzied trumpeting of stampeding elephants…

Hilarious stuff yacinator, fresh air from a different dimension smile.gif !

If this idea has been posted before then accept my apologies but it's such an obvious one I'm sure it must have.

How about music. This may sound daft, but I think it would be really cool to have a suitably martial soundtrack playing in the background. There are loads of war movie tracks out there that would be suitable - "A Bridge Too Far", "Patton", "Kelly's Heroes", "Battle of the Bulge" (at least I think that was a film). Basically, anything your local military band could play would be suitable.

Am I crazy or does anyone else want a rousing military band playing whilst they send their brave "heroes" to a certain death in defence of freedom, or the Reich, or whatever!

It is not a great improvement but this could be usefull if not exist now :

You can see in the picture the perspective of your own unit. If you try to go to the target you must to use a "mouse+control" or other ways...

combat_mission_005.jpg

could be good if you can use a quick and fast way to go to the perspective of the Target using the Lines with a keyboard hotkey . I tried to say to go to the end of the Line , like the opposed image of a mirror with a fast hotkey.

[ April 12, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Halberdiers ]

what cmx2 needs is better ambushing. in cmbo we had the ambush marker and now we have the cover arc. it needs to be replaced with an ambush circle for which u can set the diameter. the cover arc is ok for short range ambushing but when i want to have my anti tank rifle ambush some tanks at a cross roads 280 meters away it will also fire upon stuff 100 or 10 meteres away and i don't wan't that. the other thing is cm needs a tool that lets u tell a unit what to target after it blows up the current target. a tiger ambushing 10 tanks on a bridge; first he blows up the first one and then the last so that the tanks in the middle have nowhere to run.

[ April 12, 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: yacinator ]

Originally posted by Halberdiers:

[snip] could be good if you can use a quick and fast way to go to the perspective of the Target using the Lines with a keyboard hotkey . I tried to say to go to the end of the Line , like the opposed image of a mirror with a fast hotkey.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but if you ctrl-click on the target unit it takes you to that unit's "perspective"...