What do we want in the next Combat Mission game

Uzi

I fixed the link so now it points to Fuerte's homepage, not my readme file... anyway, looking at it now, I think I get what you mean. After 006, 007 is sent to player A, but the 009 in the table isn't sent anywhere, only 010 gets to B. This is because each turn is computed at alternating machines.

Anyway, it never has worked for me. :(

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sergei

Give it another go. My first experience was not good with it. However it has been tweaked and I have been running it for a year v.successfully with a number of opponents - have converted 4 to it : ) [even a Linux OS based player]

Go on give it another whirl. You , or anyone can send me a diddy scenario and we will sort it out!

BTW I forgot to mention when you open the email it auto opens PBEMHelper for you and updates the file situation. Press Play in Helper and it autoloads the correct game, puts in the password and gets you to the game map!!!! HOW NEAT IS THAT!!!

Clouds that move.

And the rate at which they revolve around the map could be related to windspeed.

The shaking leaves in CMBB were a nice touch. But what would really add to the illusion would be clouds that move. I think I would rather have moving clouds than the currently planned moving heavenly bodies. I only mention this because I suspect that the mechanism that will allow the sun to move and the planets to wander could also be used to shift the clouds. Mount the clouds on a transparent background and rotate.

The moon isn't on a stick, it's on a transparent cylinder.

What about variable weather where the rain (or snow) stops?

-or lightens up and then stops?

-or where the fog gets thinner (or thicker)?

-or where it randomly rains or snows (depending upon the temperature) during an overcast scenario?

-or where the sun starts to shine after it being overcast?

-or where the winds increases or decreases?

-or (for the more daring) a tornado comes through and picks tanks and troops up and throws them around? ;)

A visual representation of a daisy chain.

The anti-tank mine marker does double duty right now. What would be nice would be to see a few mines scattered around the middle of the tile. Though I can see that that might be difficult if CMx2 uses much smaller tiles.

Still, one can dream...

Improvements:

- Tanks simulated with correct relative Turret/Hull area values

- Tankcrews with appropriate historic weapons after bailing out

- Possibility for Tanks going into full defilade and still observe when equipped accordingly, or even one crewmember leaving the tank to reconoiter.

- Automatic cannons calculated correctly (not like now, being abstracted like artillery shells)

- Abadoned guns can be remanned

- Horse drawn units, an absolute must when german troops being simulated.

- Motorcycle-units

- Introduction of "real" trenches (Communication, Observation, Fighting, earthbunkers etc., pakemplacements, )

- Ammo supply points for long scenarios

- Possibility to camouflage units, either during unitselection (added prize) or during battle using time.

- Infantry guns can do indirect fire

- On map artillery with indirect fire possibility (for huge maps or special tactical situations)

- Better sighting/spotting algorithms in general, taking into account masking, and camouflage.

- Taking selected troops from one battle to the next -> Aiding campaigns

- Abandoning of smoke creation for vehicles, which for now only distorts gameplay (Tanks zipping into and out from fog forever while being shot at)

- Introduction of coloured smoke and/or liasion radios/HQs to control Aircraft strikes more efficient as was standard praxis with the germans in the east, of course for a prize.

- Aircraft being equipped with historical weaponmix (for instance Cluster bombs, as being used later in the war)

- Single Aircraft lethality dramatically reduced vs. single AFV, especially when being camouflaged or in camouflaging terrain like scattered tree.

- Possibility to group units and lay multiple waypoints (reduce wear on the mouse).

- Scenario-Editor allowing import of Height-color coded countourmaps.

- Scenario-Editor allowing creation of oversized map of which parts can be used for scenarios or campaigns

- Scenario-Editor as a separate Fullwindowsized Program

- If possible larger Height differences possible in the map (best no restriction).

- Godmode View for Scenario-Creation debugging

- Smooth Zoomlevel change with "memorize" feature, so one can set zoomlevels freely (current jump from Level 2 to 3 is to great).

- A Scriptdriven-extension to the current AI-system to guide units in more complex AI-battles, enabling better historical Battles. (Preplanned Artillery, Approach sectors, triggers and the likes)

- Simple Interface to import textfile unitselections -> Aid modders, Monstercampaigns, Operationlevel third party extensions

- Vehicle Bogging reduced to believable historical values

- More diverse terrain, Tall grass, Sunflowerfield, ploughed field, olive grove orchards, open wood, dense wood and the like

- Artillery being able to fire ground ricochet fire -> airbursts if terrain facilitates it.

- Terrain, especially Wood being transformed by Artillery fire

- And only if everything else is done: Dynamic Lighting, Shadows, weather and only if having impact on gameplay.

- In the same category: Even better vehicle models with moving suspensions and higher polygon count and higher resolution textures.

- Squads using appropriate formations and space.

- If not simulation wise (not really necessary), then atleast visually correct representation of a squad (10 men and not 3, eventually changing formation visually only again to represent different battleconditions).

Greets

Daniel

Good stuff Danielh, Especially,

Bailed out crews using historically correct weapons

Abandoned guns being remanned

Infantry guns can do indirect fire

Ammo supply points for long battles

On map artillary with indirect fire on a huge map

Real trenches and all the rest. I hope that all this can be done or at least most of it. Ill buy as many CMx2 titles as BF can write with these improvements. poppy

Two important ones i forgot:

- There should be a command "Don't shoot main armament on the move" to allow tanks to advance in bounds and shoot only when being stopped(Maybe with some randomness in it depending on morale and the like..). Now this is near to impossible and the using of cov. arcs doesn't help. I want for instance 3 Tanks in overwatch while 3 advance to a given point and then engage enemy tanks in sight (or other dangerous threats) immediately to allow the overwatch element to move the next turn. If i use "move" or "fast" now the moving tanks will still fire the maingun and waste very precious ammo.

- Tanks with bow machineguns should be able to be ordered to use them when Coax & Gun are out of action, now a tank with damaged cannon is almost useless, and uses the bow MG almost never. Maybe gun damage should have some variety in it, for instance gun may be deajusted, gun destroyed, gun & sight destroyed, Gun & Sight & Coax-MG destroyed. However as long there are functioning weapons they should be useable (and an MG can be very important).

Greets

Daniel

Inaccessible Terrain. Such as high mountains, etc.

Horse teams would be great.

For scenario editor... (must have been said previously in this thread because it is too obvious) someway to give AI units "marching orders" for their opening moves. Or an objective that a certain set of AI units is supposed to take. Also, on D, make them hold a position instead of marching forward once a flag has fallen.

Yes--- need better scenario editor debugging tools as mentioned above. DanielH is corrected about the FOW setting.

Originally posted by danielh:

Pzman,

Wrong ! Turning off FOW changes behaviour of AI because they also see all your troops. What i mean is only the human player sees all the units, while the AI plays on the selected FOW level.

OK ?

Greets

Daniel

Somewhat, but the AI needs all the help it can get, when attacking. I have never in all my years of designing and testing scenarios needed a "God mode."

Pzman,

You seem to misunderstand me,

Currently i cannot see whether or not the AI is doing about the tings i try to create in the scenario, because if i switch to Fog off the AI will behave totally different(because it knows all the targets) especially on the attack. Because most AI battles are fought with extreme fog the AI changes in ways unpredictable unless i play the scenario on extreme fog for testing purpose. Maybe i have to play 30 rounds to wittnes that all the AI-tanks brought in as reinforcment at turn 10 are clogged somewhere. God View would make this clearly visible immediately, it would also be clearly visible which units take which approach, their speed and the like, now i have to fish in muddy waters. The intention of God mode is to make the AI seem better not worse in less time, and thus aid the scenario designer, because he can really see what happens !

Greets

Daniel

Hello danielh, I agree with you on the "god mode" Ive been playing and designing scenarios for me and my friends use for several years. For me the most frustrating part of making a scenario is the testing. What you propose would,in my opinion, shorten the testing time and make for much better scenarios with a lot less time in the testing mode. I hope that your idea for a "god mode" feature is included in CMx2 or,if possible, it would make a great patch and enhance CMAK and CMBB. Excellent idea. poppy

I would be great if the AI would be totally modular and could be invoced at any time and any side.

Examples:

You are on the defense and need to sort out a battalion. You click "suggest AI move" and the AI positions your units as it would if it was playing the defense itself.

AI versus AI play, but in hotseat as just described, you have the opportunity to give orders or correct the AI's orders.

Indeed, and it would be good if you start another if you like to continue. I am going to lock this now. The fact that it'll be locked doesn't mean that your suggestions were useless. Quite the contrary, we've found a number of interesting ideas, as usual.

Now, we also found a number of useless ideas of course smile.gif , mostly because the assumptions that they were made under are way too close to the way CM currently works, and the new engine will be that - a totally new engine, started from a clean white sheet of paper so to speak. But thanks anyway, and keep posting smile.gif

Martin