What do we want in the next Combat Mission game

Uzi

I think the next Combat Mission game should return to Normandy. This needn’t be a repetition of CMBO if you take into account the possible enhancements that could be included such as;

1. Amphibious beach assaults and terrain; LCT’s, sand, dunes, obstacles etc

2. Strongpoints and more elaborate bunkers

3. Bangalore torpedoes

4. Enhanced soldier animations

5. Enhanced building graphics and broader, more detailed town building possibilities ie; fountains, mills, sheds, haystacks, higher walls etc

6. Option to play game in 2 modes; turn based or real time

7. Option to record video of battle for playback like in Bungies’ Myth series

8. Inclusion of; Nebelwerfers, Schwimmwagens, British 25 pounder gun and tractor, DUKW, motorbike and sidecar,

9. Option to include bomber formations (Carpet bombing)

10. Enhanced uniform graphics (Distinction between 101st and 82nd airborne for example)

11. Option to limber and unlimber artillery to vehicles for movement after firing

12. Glider landings

13. Dead Cows and telegraph poles

I’m sure people can think of some more…..

[ March 29, 2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Uzi ]

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like something simple to be added.

An automatic firing arc hotkey:

You select one or many units, press that key and the game automatically assign a 180 degree arc at maximum effective range(like 100m for infantry mostly armed with rifles) in the direction the unit is facing. This would be useful for a defending player who could quickly give an arc to all his units and then do some adjustments.

[ March 29, 2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Omi ]

How about U.S. Rocket Tanks? For a great web page that details Rocket Tank development and use in Italy, plus technical stats, operation, photos of actual firing, and photos of a church hit by a rocket salvo, go to:

http://www.752ndtank.com/RocketTanks.html

And how about mountainous terrain to add some Italian Campaign realism?

Bob

http://www.752ndTank.com

i'm looking forward to a mondern combat combat mission.

these are the things that i would love to see in it:

1.helicopters

2.ability to give orders to helicopters

3.remote controled claymore mines (that u can place after setup to make ambushes etc.)

4.painting enemy with a laser to call in an airstrike

5.hand held or mounted guided anti air missiles

6.make it so that troops can take cover behing vehicles

7.make 2 kinds of snipers 1 anti ppl with a .338

international acuracy (for brits)and an anti light vehicle berreta 82a1 .50 cal (for the americans)

8.improve building entering animation so like instead of walking through walls they kick in doors and stuff

9.vehicles coming out of viehicles like a stryker coming of a hovercraft that came of an assoult ship

10.besides regular front line troops add paramilitaries like cops

11.armed and unarmed civilians

12. tow anti tank guided missiles

now a game like that would really kick ass

Option to play game in 2 modes; turn based or real time
this is a turn based strategy game and having a real time option would take away all the strategical thinking from the game and leave it with only stupid mouse clicking

[ March 29, 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: yacinator ]

Originally posted by yacinator:

i'm looking forward to a mondern combat combat mission.

these are the things that i would love to see in it:

1.helicopters

2.ability to give orders to helicopters

3.remote controled claymore mines (that u can place after setup to make ambushes etc.)

4.painting enemy with a laser to call in an airstrike

5.hand held or mounted guided anti air missiles

6.make it so that troops can take cover behing vehicles

7.make 2 kinds of snipers 1 anti ppl with a .338

international acuracy (for brits)and an anti light vehicle berreta 82a1 .50 cal (for the americans)

8.improve building entering animation so like instead of walking through walls they kick in doors and stuff

9.vehicles coming out of viehicles like a stryker coming of a hovercraft that came of an assoult ship

10.besides regular front line troops add paramilitaries like cops

11.armed and unarmed civilians

12. tow anti tank guided missiles

now a game like that would really kick ass

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Option to play game in 2 modes; turn based or real time

this is a turn based strategy game and having a real time option would take away all the strategical thinking from the game and leave it with only stupid mouse clicking </font>

Ok, now that that's out of my system...

1. Amphibious beach assaults and terrain; LCT’s, sand, dunes, obstacles etc

2. Strongpoints and more elaborate bunkers

3. Bangalore torpedoes

Can dig it

4. Enhanced soldier animations
What for?

5. Enhanced building graphics and broader, more detailed town building possibilities ie; fountains, mills, sheds, haystacks, higher walls etc
Less concerned about the graphics as the function. I would like to see a more detailed treatment of buildings

6. Option to play game in 2 modes; turn based or real time
Why ruin the game?

7. Option to record video of battle for playback like in Bungies’ Myth series
Couldn't care less if I tried

8. Inclusion of; Nebelwerfers, Schwimmwagens, British 25 pounder gun and tractor, DUKW, motorbike and sidecar,
Nebelwefers and 25pdrs are in. Motorcycles would be nice, as would cavalry

9. Option to include bomber formations (Carpet bombing)
Why on earth would anyone want this included?

10. Enhanced uniform graphics (Distinction between 101st and 82nd airborne for example)
Again, couldn't care less if I tried

11. Option to limber and unlimber artillery to vehicles for movement after firing
Err... ya mean like it is now? Whatcha talkin' aboot?

12. Glider landings
Why limit that to gliders... how aboot para drops?

13. Dead Cows and telegraph poles
Dead cows? Telegraph poles? Why?

ya it would be cool if you told say shaken units to go near some women civilians and after 3 turns their morale jumps a couple of levels hehe

also routed units, if there's no enemy close by,

would get friendly with village girls and what do u know? their morale goes up :D

I'd like to see a return to Normandy etc, as the CMBB/CMAK game has such better modelling of machine guns and the fall of artillery, and it would be nice to see that important and interesting theatre played out in the best possible way. Perhaps they could include a Normany/France/Germany/Italy game with US/UK & Allies versus Germans.

But what I'd really like, Santa, from a playability perspective, is a better way of determing lines of sight. It's very frustrating to see a juicy looking hill "over there", imagining it will have lots of great lines of sight, and after you spend six turns sneaking, running and weaseling your way to the hill, you discover that it can only see "valley glimpses" and not much more.

Is there any hope that the engine could be fitted with a line of sight generator, so you can, in advance, get some ability to plot a target point for movement, then get a view of what you can see from that point?

Originally posted by Uzi:

Dead Cows and telegraph poles

Mwahahah !! :D

I really like those "first posts"... ...don't remember mine, but it surelly was a bit funny.

I imagine the BMP folder for that game :

</font>

• File 01 : cow's flank</font>
  • File 02 : cow's face</font>
  • File 03 : cow's... ...rear :D</font>

Then, entire threads will appear here, discussing about camo scheme for cows, what kind of cows where really in Normandy in june 1944, etc. Please !

What about a "smell malus" for troops passing near dead cows ?

HOWEVER, I find the telephone pole idea interesting. It would improve the realism of the battlefield, even if it is useless in the simulation. Remember Panzer Elite, for example, which proposed that kind of "cosmetic" device.

Originally posted by REVS:

Is there any hope that the engine could be fitted with a line of sight generator, so you can, in advance, get some ability to plot a target point for movement, then get a view of what you can see from that point?

You mean like all real life soldiers had? The one that was issued to them when they also got their magic carpets and invisibility capes? And don't forget the stun guns and disintegrator rays...

tongue.gif

Michael

I'd be very happy if the new game was just an improvement on what Combat Mission has always been. I just want to see the game with more units, more options, better graphics and sound, just more of everything that makes the game fun to play.

I think going to a different era would be a mistake, since CM has always been about WW2. Regardless though, I'm sure it will be a good game. The last 3 have been great, and I expect we'll see even better things as the new game comes along.

Yep, I want my borg spotter to be fitted with a disintegrator ray!

I'm impressed by our computer game's ability to be about 40% realism and 60% modern-urban-boy fantasy.

It's fun to play this game on our shiny new computers while sipping on a beer, but when you're not cold, tired, hungry, angry, ******* yourself with fear, lacking spares, supplies, and any hope of life beyond next sunset, I think it's permanently down on realism.

Somehow I thought my practical suggestion about line of sight would strike a chord out there!

How truly realsitic do you think this stuff models things? Is it as good as 50%?

Frankly, I think we'd be better off developing this thing as a game, and forget all this crap about realism.

Originally posted by REVS:

Frankly, I think we'd be better off developing this thing as a game, and forget all this crap about realism.

Okay. Now we know where you're at.

Now all that remains to be seen is where BFC is at.

I suppose in the meantime we could have a heated debate over what constitutes a good game. For instance, would chess be improved if all the pieces could move as the queen does? I don't know; I never tried it. I think I'd miss the old game with its variability, but I suppose that could be chalked up to a matter of taste. Maybe an all-queen game would be a slam-bang rip-snorter. Anyone want to give it a try? My guess is that between evenly matched players the game would end with only one piece on the board and that piece would always be white.

Michael