**** ROW IV (part 3) ****

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Ted:

I just finished my 1st of 4 AAR’s of the games I finished.

I don’t think there’s any chance of finishing “South of Vevi” with Karnak. I only receive a turn every few days from him. I think we’re on turn 35 of 45.

Can I send in an AAR on the incomplete game so I’ll be eligible for the finals?

(LoL, like there’s a chance of that anyway)

And

Should I wait until I have a block of them or send them as I finish each one?

Hi,

I would send them to me as they are done.

An incomplete AAR is fine as long as it covers the points we are looking for.

We will tell you if it does not make the grade for the points going towards the scores for the finals.

Obviously for the AAR prize it would be very unlikely to win in an incomplete format.

;)

H

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

To my opponent in ROW III - I got your turn while on vacation. My email is down now and the tech won't be back until next Monday. How friggin' convenient, eh? My cable connection does seem to fix itself on occasion, so I hope to be able to return turns over the weekend, but just to let you know.

Played the last turn and tried to email for the last 24 hours - the connection is completely blocked and not allowing me to send. I hope the situation corrects itself over the weekend (it's been known to correct itself in the past) but the problem has never persisted this long before. I have a tech booked for Monday evening - the night before the deadline. DOH

If I can't get up and running, will it be possible to have the admin of the ROW either

a) call a cease fire by mutual consent, or, failing the consent of my partner

B) institute a surrender of my forces based on the last turn my partner has been able to send, so that I can still be credited with finishing the tourney?

If my internet is still down at home, I'd like to be able to finish in absentia, if possible.

I would suggest that people do not use surrender in _any_ circumstances, and ceasefire only if the tactical situation makes that really sensible for both parties, as use of these means will affect the scoring system for _all players_. Rather, if games are not finished in time I'd hope Kingfish gets the latests files and makes some kind of scoring decision by himself.

I hope we get instructions on this from Kingfish soon!

PS. My last orders of my last game have been sent to my opponent, so this won't affect me.

KF will be along shortly he is having problems with his PC.

smile.gif

Ohhh the wonderful world of viruses and Microsoft.

I am sure we will sort something out as long as both players agree.

Please keep trying to get these games finished by the 14th as every little helps.

Cheers

H

I just finished my last AAR (South of Vevi) where opponent did surrender without asking for cease-fire (I would have accepted it as I was defending). Points were big time in my favor but I will agree to any decent pts Kingfish wants to impose here...

I have couple last files stored just for the case smile.gif

Especially attackers' surrendering screws up the scoring in major way. In the minimum, I'd ask that "natural" and "artificial" scores are indicated as such when the final scores are published. Then everyone can draw own conclusions whether this was actual problem or not.

On the surrendering issue:

Everybody who signed up for the tourney did so promising to follow the tournament manual as posted in the first post of every RoW thread.

Which part of "don't surrender" didn't people understand?

It has a huge impact on other people's scores, and not only in their own group.

If a game cannot be continued, the last file has to be passed back to the umpires. They will decide whether an outcome can be agreed on as "obvious", whether an artificial playing to an end (like a retreat) will do or whether a reserve player has to finish the game.

Don't surrender.

I'm more than willing to send last files for judging - I'm also dissappointed with the battle not going to the end. Nevertheless I can understand my opponents feelings as his situation was not really promising. Basically I had managed to stop his attacks very well with few or no losses to my men.

Waiting for a response from Kingfish.

Everyone should be trying to get as much of their games done as possible right now. Even in the event that a game cannot be finished on time, the closer you are to the end makes things better on any number of levels. We'll hear from Kingfish shortly, but in the meantime keep cranking out those turns this weekend as much as you possibly can.

Good Lord! Is it almost time????

Well, kinda...

First, lets get everyone up to date on games completed, blah, blah, blah...

Games finished as of 06/12/04:

South of Vevi

G1/S1 - complete

G1/S2 - complete

PHLGuy vs Tychus

G1/S4 - complete

Lindan vs Ace Pilot

G2/S2 - complete

Michael Dorosh vs MickOZ

Victor Charlie vs Flammenwerfer

Heavy Drop vs Pacestick

Jaws vs Gator6

Strider vs Brent Pollack

Pitt Panther vs Panther Commander

Bryce Baker vs Combined arms

Chaos49 vs Death Dealer

G3/S3 - complete

Nidan1 vs OWL

Larsen vs SpineRipper

27/36 (75%)

Things that go bump in the night

G1/S1 - complete

G1/S2 - complete

G1/S3 - complete

G1/S4 - complete

John Kettler vs Kanonier Reichmann

Londoner vs Ace Pilot

G2/S2 - complete

G2/S3 - complete

Jaws vs Heavy Drop

Pacestick vs Ted

G3/S1 - complete

Death dealer vs Combined arms

Bryce Baker vs dalem

G3/S3 - complete

G3/S4 - complete

33/36 (91%)

Squeezing the Melon

G1/S1 - complete

G1/S2 - complete

Tychus vs Nestor

Overkill vs Enoch

G1/S4 - complete

Ace Pilot vs John Kettler

Lindan vs Londoner

Cuzn vs Green as Jade

Melinibone vs Malakovski

MickOZ vs Flammenwerfer

Victor Charlie vs Scheer

G2/S4 - complete

Strider vs Panther Commander

G3/S2 - complete

G3/S3 - complete

G3/S4 - complete

30/36 (83%)

Frontier Firefight '40

G1/S1 - complete

Vadr vs Michal

The Capt vs Sgt Kelly

Enoch vs Tychus

G1/S4 - complete

G2/S1 - complete

G2/S2 - complete

Scheer vs MickOZ

Flammenwerfer vs Michael Dorosh

G2/S4 - complete

G3/S1 - complete

dalem vs Combined arms

Deathdealer vs Direwolf11

G3/S3 - complete

G3/S4 - complete

31/36 (86%)

Retreat from Metemma

G1/S1 - complete

G1/S2 - complete

PHL Guy vs Enoch

Tychus vs Overkill

G1/S4 - complete

John Kettler vs Londoner

Shock Tropper vs Ace Pilot

G2/S2 - complete

G2/S3 - complete

G2/S4 - complete

G3/S1 - complete

Combined arms vs Direwolf

Deathdealer vs Bryce Baker

G3/S3 - complete

G3/S4 - complete

33/36 (91%)

154 out of 180 total (%85)

A while back I had mentioned to Holien and Spanish Bombs that I would have been happy with a 75% completion rate. We are at 85% and still have time left, so keep cranking away!

Speaking of time left, there have been some recent developments on my end that has forced me to change the deadline for the tourney. To make a long story short, about two weeks ago my computer was hosed with a virus, and I was forced to do a full system recovery to clean it out. While it got me back and running, it also wiped out every program that was not originally installed. One of those programs was MS office, which includes Excel. Thats what I was using to record the scores (relax, I saved multiple copies).

So, what this means is instead of calculating the scores at home on June 14th (Tuesday) I will instead do it from work on the 18th (Friday). Therefore, the new deadline is noon, Thurday June 17th. That afternoon I will post the scores in this thread, and you all have 24 hours to contact me if the scores are incorrect.

After calculating the scores I will send them to Jarmo Hurri (Nabla) so that he can run it through his program. Hopefully by that weekend we will have a pre-AAR winner announced. Due to this extension we will also extend the deadline for AARs by one week, but we need to get the first step taken care of before we can announce the deadline for AARs.

If all goes well we will have 12 finalists announced and the finals started by the first week of July. That is what I am shooting for.

You know have an additional 2 days to complete your games. Not much, but that is really all I can grant at this point. Please use this time wisely and get those games completed. Every score submitted makes the final calculations that much more accurate.

Now, as for the issue of surrenders, the rules are clear on why this is prohibited. We still have replacement players ready to go, and in a pinch I could step in to help out, but you'll need to let me know asap if you can't continue.

OK, so are we all clear on whats going on? June 17th deadline, no surrenders, Keep cranking away on those turns and AARs. We need both to get us into the finals.

Kingfish - I think you have to make some kind of call about my game against Chaos49... as surrender was a surprise to me I got to see his troopers and their positions AND if that wasn't enough I did send him the final file so I suspect he has checked my men out.

Shall I email you my latest file (before surrender) to check this one out? I sure hope we can get this one sorted out.

When I said "I support someone asking for surrender as a resolution" I was coming from the point of view that people shouldn't be punished for their opponent being too slow.

I'd totally forgotten about the business about

surrendering messing up scoring, and I agree this is not what we want.

But how do the rules help us with slow opponenents?

At what point is someone entitled to say "I want a replacement opponent, this guy is too slow?"

(And how can we tell the difference between that and "I want a replacement opponent, this guy is too good"!?)

I actually made such a request a couple of weeks ago, and it was not actioned. It all turned out OK: my opponent came good. But what if he hadn't?

It would be nice if there was some guideline about what will happen to people waiting on opponents as the deadline approaches...

(edit: if this is as simple as "we will help you out, don't worry - if you are available to finish your game, and communicating what's going on, you will get a finish somehow" then that would let everyone be at ease...)

Ta,

GaJ.