best CM game ever would be one that...

... incorporates strategery along with the normal CM tactical battles. So, something along the lines of creating divisions and then moving those divisions around a huge map and then when two opposing divisions meet you go into regular CM tactical battle mode and fight out the battle. There could be at least a game mode that uses this kind of play like operation mode so that people who want to play regular historical battles can still do so. It's time to take Combat Mission up a notch!!!!

Ah, this is a 'wish list' thread and not a 'my favorite scenario' thread. Now that that's settled...

It sounds like you'd like TacOps combined with CM. Perhaps a smaller pull-down strategic window showing the 'big picture', maybe clickable so you can jump from hot spot to hot spot. Like a real Ft. Urwin TacOps wargame. I can't think of how you could avoid all the number crunching involved in running 5-6 scenario-size engagements concurrently, though. As it is I often find myself going to the fridge or flipping through the TV channels while waiting for the next turn of a moderately-'huge' game to crunch the numbers.

[ September 02, 2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

well, i didn't mean that whole divisions go into traditional CM tactical battle, as i think that would be a bit cluttered. But, you could send a battalion over here to kick butt, 2 battalions over there to kick butt, or just maybe a company if you're really feeling badarse. and then you resolve each of the battles through standard CM fighting. the possibilities are endless!!! Chant it with me now... we want strategery!! We want strategery!!

ive never played tacops before but the vision im getting is having like a whole strategic map of europe (or maybe smaller scale) where you could move divisions around and attack or defend areas. say instead of attacking the landing force at normandy with just the 21st panzer division, you could pull another division from the eastern front or whatever and use both to try to push the allies back into the sea. then when your divisions meet resistance on the strategic map then maybe it zooms in and you can send individual tank regiments or whatever to attack different positions. then when everything is ready you can click on each individual battle and play them out one at a time in traditional CM fashion. am i the only one that would get a hardon over a game like this? you could do anything you wanted!

Nope, you're not the only person to request such a 'feature'. It would be nice to have such an all-encompassing game, but it would be a developer's nightmare. Going further out to a 'grand strategy' level would be even harder since there would be so many other details that people would want in the game, etc., etc.

Personally I'd be content with the capability to zoom out to division/corps level, maneuver/engage those elements (with required logistics details) and then use CM as the 'tactical resolver' as others have suggested.

The reality however may prevent resources from being put to this end for the next engine. There will be a lot of work for the next engine, and while I don't speak for BTS/BFC in any capacity, I can't imagine that they would be able to add this to the plate in conjunction with a new engine release. BTS/BFC are going to want to get the tactical game as well-developed as possible, including all of the AI development coding to make unit behavior as realistic as possible (not an easy task).

Maybe in the next release after the engine has been fully developed they may want to dabble with higher strategic/tactical levels.

You can use strategy with the present game, at least strategy in the sense that you can formulate and implement an overall battle plan. The size if the force has nothing to do with whether or not you can plan and execute a strategy, strategy has everything to do with the overall way the battle is going to be pursued, whether the battle involves armies or platoons, takes months or minutes.