Aiming a Bren Gun

I have been told by my father-in-law that it's failing was that it was so damm accurate that you did not easily get the spread for suppressive fire. I suspect also that with small magazines it was never really intended for that role but was required to fill it.

Of course him being left handed - might have meant Brens would have been awkward. Not PBI fortunately

The Bren does have a pretty low rate of fire, so single shots aren't too difficult to achieve even without the corresponding sear setting, so I understand.

Also the single shot or short burst was claimed to be useful as it made it difficult to distiguish it from the rifles, thus reducing the ability of the enemy to target it.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

dieseltaylor,

ISTR that the Bren had a singleshot setting and was used to "snipe" at times precisely because it was so accurate.

Regards,

John Kettler

Ian V. Hogg and Mike Chappell said that a crafty Bren Gunner could "play a tune" on the Bren by firing a set of shots in a specific way that could be used to signal tactical moves by the rifle section.

I'm left-handed, and I used a Bren a couple of times when I was in the Air Training Corps. I got a rap on the knuckles once for shooting singles when I was supposed to be firing bursts. I wasn't doing it deliberately, honest! Even so, it was easy to get all the burst shots on a NATO man target at 200 yards, even for this spotty 16-year-old! Jeez, that was 30 years ago.....

wunwinglow