You Will Not Be Able To Stay Home, Brother. The Peng Challenge Will Not Be Televised

Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

I'll call a couple places here in town to confirm.

However, I thought I'd found the "right" one for you as the technical data on the one I linked mentioned: "Region playback: Compatible only with discs coded for Region 1 and for All Regions".

Let me make a couple phone calls to be sure (and also check *their* prices as well ;) ). I'll post back in a few minutes on what I ascertain. smile.gif

Here's what you need to know, Lady Moraine.

REGION 1 -- USA, Canada

REGION 2 -- Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland

REGION 3 -- S.Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia

REGION 4 -- Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)

REGION 5 -- Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa

REGION 6 -- China

REGION 0 or REGION ALL -- Discs are uncoded and can be played Worldwide, however, PAL discs must be played in a PAL-compatible unit and NTSC discs must be played in an NTSC-compatible unit.

It's a mess, I know. As you can see, "Zone Free" doesn't really mean it can play anything. It just plays dvds that have been encoded for Zone 0. Hollywood's little protection racket at work here.

I did find some code free players, but I'm still looking for that particular model. It probably is going to take a few phone calls...

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Lars, Moraine,

Thanks for the fast feedback. I'm not clued up that much, but I do know that it should be a multi-zone unit, thus no zone restrictions - as Lars pointed out, Zone 0 it seems.

SA falls in ZONE 2, but specifying this specific zone has it own problems, because if I buy a specific Zone 2 (SA) recording unit then I cannot play USA DVD's bought online! Will this is the assumption anyway. :mad: Thus, I prefer a zone-free/multizone/Zone 0 Sony unit.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

[ November 22, 2004, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

First...you're welcome. smile.gif

Second...I don't think it will be possible to purchase one for Zone 0 in the US, though I, too, am still looking.

I've checked on Sony's website and called them, but they say any they make in the US *will* definitely be zoned for the US only.

I am searching, at the moment, for an electronic store that may be able to change this restriction after purchase; but I don't know if you want that done here or if you want to try and find someone there who can make this change (if it *can* be made) once you receive it.

Edited to add: I've also checked with Circuit City and Best Buy and neither store even carries the unit. *sigh*

While you are researching, Lady Moraine...

I am looking for the following models:

All are Tamiya and 1/37th scale

T34 - Russian

Daimler Armored Car Thingy - Brit

Panzer I, II, II, IV all variants

Semavante - Pasta Farmer

Please note All models are to be placed under my tree on or about 25 Dec 04.

Please see my secretary for scheduling and any further questions.

That is all.

First...you're welcome. smile.gif

Second...I don't think it will be possible to purchase one for Zone 0 in the US, though I, too, am still looking.

I've checked on Sony's website and called them, but they say any they make in the US *will* definitely be zoned for the US only.

I am searching, at the moment, for an electronic store that may be able to change this restriction after purchase; but I don't know if you want that done here or if you want to try and find someone there who can make this change (if it *can* be made) once you receive it.

Edited to add: I've also checked with Circuit City and Best Buy and neither store even carries the unit. *sigh*

Obviously, if you can buy the Zone 0 unit I'll be thrilled. If not, I prefer a reputable electronics shop in the USA (SA workmanship regarding this I don't trust, akin to car hack shops here!) to change it to a Zone 0, if that's possible.

SONY SA let slip here it can be changed from a Zone 1 (USA) to any other zone, so it seems possible. More they won't say, only that they will not do it here for you.

Say a tourist in New York wants to buy the Sony DVD recorder there and carry it back to South Africa, surely the retailer in NY will make certain that the specific unit is able to play SA and/or other region DVD's outside the USA?

The RDR-HX900 is a relatively new unit, so I suppose only the big Sony retailers in the big cities will carry it first.

Many thanks for the effort so far

Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

T34 - Russian

Semavante - Pasta Farmer

That is all.

Yes, but do you offer wine as payment for my services?

I thought not.

So...shush up you! You'll get what I get you and be thankful for it! HA!

*surreptitiously scribbles list on small scrap of paper for searching later*

Originally posted by WineCape:

Obviously, if you can buy the Zone 0 unit I'll be thrilled. If not, I prefer a reputable electronics shop in the USA (SA workmanship regarding this I don't trust, akin to car hack shops here!) to change it to a Zone 0, if that's possible.

SONY SA let slip here it can be changed from a Zone 1 (USA) to any other zone, so it seems possible. More they won't say, only that they will not do it here for you.

Say a tourist in New York wants to buy the Sony DVD recorder there and carry it back to South Africa, surely the retailer in NY will make certain that the specific unit is able to play SA and/or other region DVD's outside the USA?

The RDR-HX900 is a relatively new unit, so I suppose only the big Sony retailers in the big cities will carry it first.

Many thanks for the effort so far

Yeah, that one on Amazon would work, but you might have to wait a bit until they release the movie you want in Zone 0. It only plays Zone 1 and Zone 0. If that works for you, I or Lady Moraine could order it for you. But what I think you really want is a "code free" model, which plays all the zones.

I think you'd be better off just ordering the bugger and finding a local shop to do the conversion. I know I won't be able to find one to do it here in Minneapolis. We're a long way from salt air.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

T34 - Russian

Semavante - Pasta Farmer

That is all.

Yes, but do you offer wine as payment for my services?

</font>

Lars,

It seems prudent I suppose to get a Sony unit that can play all zones, not just zone 1 and 0. But if that fails, I'll be happy to take a Zone 1/0 unit.

Moraine has moved the discussion here.

He seems to be on the trail of some adapter that can change the unit to an all-zone playability.

[ November 22, 2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Good GAWD almighty ... and I'm NOT referring to Peng.

Is this suddenly the DVD Trading Outpost?

Nothing wrong with helping Winecap, of course, it MAY not be his fault that he's living ... somewhere other than here.

But still ... between Peng gnashing his teeth, 37mm formenting rebellion (and not in a GOOD way, mind) and Winecap trying to find a DVD that will actually PLAY that copy of "Showgirls" he picked up ...

What's a CessPooler to do?

Joe

I said it before and I'll say it again. Dalem is kewl.

I read that whole stupid thing with Peng and how he bemoans that a thread named after him is not to his liking but he contributes nothing.

Something I learned from our own beloved Mister Shaw. If you don't contribute, ya can't complain.

Now, I've been guilty over the last couple years of complaining about the thread and how different is it now compared to when Meeks was here. Well, I was wrong, Heinz Guderian was right, and Dalem is kewl.

My two farthings.

Edit: I do hope the stenographers got that whole thing about agreeing with old foul Joe because I will never, ever agree with him again. I'd sooner do a hairy main nekkid dance in downtown Hotlanta with sparklers and singing an Elton John tune than agree with that blow hard, Morman wannabee.

[ November 22, 2004, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Hiram Sedai ]

Originally posted by dalem:

(runs, leaps into the air, travels long distance, impresses all the other reindeer)

Who all back away from you because they think you're a big, big freak.

And you are.

Did you accomplish anything on Sunday? I ate rice, later.

Tonight I sat across the aisle from this guy on the bus who was talking into his cell phone. He was tall, well groomed, and more than a bit prissy in his speech and method of expressing himself, who was telling his friend on the other end of the line:

"I had a rather bad Saturday night. I was at this bar...when I left, I was amazed at how bad a shape I was in. I staggered out and threw-up all over the hood of this Toyota. Then I collapsed on it, and...I don't know how long I lay there. I was very disoriented. When I woke up, my face was actually frozen to the hood of the car with my own vomit. I managed to pry myself free, and staggered to my car. I threw up again inside. Then I decided to drive home. Yes, I know, not the best decision I could have made. When I got home, I managed to get to my bed where I threw up again, and I collapsed into it and slept until noon. And I had to go to work at 4:30. Yes, I was shaking the whole time I was at work. I don't know, I guess I was just 'bingeing', or something. A very bad weekend."

This guy was well-groomed and looked like a Republican PR firm flack.

So, my question is: Does Lars have any somewhat effeminate cousins?

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

I ate at the Chophouse this evening. Good food, nice scotch.

I didn't think of you bastiges for even a nanosecond.

That made it all the more satisfying.

If you don't remove that goddamned quote of R. Reagan from your sig line, snakes will grow out of your eyes and you won't be able to hide your true identity any more, Evil One.

Michael