CMAK QUESTIONS/bugs/ODDITIES thread

Gpig

Just played two battles, last night - and I love it!

smile.gif

But I was hoping we could have a central place for people to post their questions/potential bug reports.

These very questions may have already been asked/posted, but that is why I was hoping to combine them all. Kind of like a FAQ list.

I'll start . . . smile.gif

Question: I was playing a scenario in Italy and noticed a couple of my G.I. Platoon HQ's had 10 (count 'em) TEN, men! I guess I'm just looking for confirmation/explanation from smart-type folks about this.

Minor thingy: I noticed that in the weapons rack for some G.I. squads, the graphic for the Springfield rifle is just another M-1 Garand. I'm assuming that these graphics will be updated in a patch?

Thanks,

Gpig

[ December 05, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Gpig ]

Originally posted by Gpig:

Question: I was playing a scenario in Italy and noticed a couple of my G.I. Platoon HQ's had 10 (count 'em) TEN, men! I guess I'm just looking for confirmation/explanation from smart-type folks about this.

Thanks,

Gpig

I'm hardly a smart-type, more like smart-ass, but i can answer this since I asked the same thing when I beta tested. Steve explained that the American HQ units were indeed large formations.

The icon is named "fasces".

http://www.livius.org/fa-fn/fasces/fasces.html

Fasces: set of rods bound in the form of a bundle which contained an axe. In ancient Rome, the bodyguards of a magistrate carried fasces.

//...//

The use of fasces by the Italian dictator Benito Mussolini is quite another story. In 1921, he called his political movement Fasci di combattimento, fascio being the Italian word for peasant organizations and labor unions. When il duce chose the ancient Roman fasces as symbol of the fascist party, he was at the same time playing with the similarity of the words fascio and fasces, chosing an ancient symbol, and drawing a parallel between fascism and earlier progressive movements.

You can found them closer than you think:

http://clerk.house.gov/histHigh/Virtual_Tours/Artifacts/bronze.php

The "funny Italian symbol" is indeed an axe wrapped in a faggot (aka a bundle of sticks). It is called a "fasces". It is the symbol that gave "fascism" its name. Originally the fasces was an actual object, in Roman times. It was the symbol of the power of the Consuls, carried by their Lictors behind them in procession. The Consuls had power of life and death outside the limits of the city of Rome - i.e. in the army, on campaign. The axe was the executioner's. The bundle of sticks was a symbol for the increase in strength that unity brings. (You can easily break each thin stick, you can't break the bundle). It is thus a sort of symbol of dictatorship - everyone obeys the consul and thus remains united, or he has them killed.

Of course, in Roman times it was all different. The Romans had 2 of them because they hated kingship; they used it only for foreign policy (until Augustus and the destruction of the republic); a senate gave the consuls their missions; the people voted them into office and only for a single year; and later on (when consul power was abused for internal politics) tribunes were created who could veto their actions. Mussolini just left all that out. He wanted a symbol from the Italian past that made dictatorship appear respectable. It is a good sign that many here haven't the slightest idea what it is - lol.

[ December 05, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

Originally posted by JasonC:

The "funny Italian symbol" is indeed an axe wrapped in a faggot (aka a bundle of sticks). It is called a "fasces". It is the symbol that gave "fascism" its name. Originally the fasces was an actual object, in Roman times. It was the symbol of the power of the Consuls, carried by their Lictors behind them in procession.

It also appeared on the back of the dime (the US 10¢ coin) for many years.

Michael

I do believe that is a faggot.

fag·ot also fag·got

1. A bundle of twigs, sticks, or branches bound together.

2. A bundle of pieces of iron or steel to be welded or hammered into bars.

tr.v. fag·ot·ed, also fag·got·ed fag·ot·ing, fag·got·ing fag·ots, fag·gots

1. To bind into a fagot; bundle.

2. To decorate with fagoting.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Thats the Italian symbol for their armed forces as I recall. Steve dug that up although I personally never liked it.

To say the truth the fasces was not a symbol of the Italian Armed forces, but it was a symbol of the fascist party. The distinction is not irrelevant, considering that, unlike what happened in Germany, the Italian armed forces never wore party symbols on their uniforms (with the exception of Blackshirts that were a party militia).

A.

P.S. Anyway a minor problem when compared to a few inaccuracies concerning the Italians one can see in CMAK... like Ariborne Bersaglieri Rifle Squads :eek: :D

Originally posted by JasonC:

He wanted a symbol from the Italian past that made dictatorship appear respectable. It is a good sign that many here haven't the slightest idea what it is - lol.

I'm not sure that's a good sign. Plus, you might want to look at Lincoln's armrests here , or

this pair of fasces at the rostrum of the US capitol building.

Since the Roman fasces were an insigna of the power of the Republic, many liberal states revived this symbol at the end of the XVIII century. The USA and the French Republic (and its satellite states) comes to mind as obvious examples. But nowdays the fasces are generally notorious for their connection to the nefarious fascist regime.

Amedeo

P.S. The rods in the fasces are lashing canes. They represent (with the axe) the power of the magistrates on the citizens: from flogging to beheading.

Weren't there supposed to be motorcycle riding horses? (aka: horse laden motorcycles)
My understanding is that they were historically Ninja horses, and to make it work right they are still trying to find a workaround to allow separate targetting for the horse and what he rides in on.

-Hans

Originally posted by Pheasant Plucker:

Definite: All British armor commander' portraits (on the left of the toolbar) have a Canadian flag behind them, not a British flag.

Haha, well the Brits knew good tankers when they saw them. :D Note this may be a commenwealth flag not Canadian. (I don't have the game yet so I don't know.)

I noticed a thing that struck me as odd this afternoon. I was trying to set up a QB in the desert and I couldn't get German units until July of 1941. What I'd like to know is, was this a deliberate design decision and if so, what was the reasoning behind it? German troops were in Libya in February and there in strength in March. By April they had invested Tobruk and were on the Egyptian border.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I noticed a thing that struck me as odd this afternoon. I was trying to set up a QB in the desert and I couldn't get German units until July of 1941. What I'd like to know is, was this a deliberate design decision and if so, what was the reasoning behind it? German troops were in Libya in February and there in strength in March. By April they had invested Tobruk and were on the Egyptian border.

Michael

Yep, I just noticed this too. German units should appear in April 1941.