Load times for this game

I am playing the campaigns, and its a huge map yes, but there was huge ass maps in CMBO and it didnt take 6 years for the computer to think and for it to finaly load...

Yes I do need an upgrade:

1200 AMD Duron

ATI 9000

384mb SD-RAM

Cable

52x CD-ROM

Well that isn't a terrible computer. I was playing BB on something similar not before I upgraded.

What do you have running in the background? If you are doing some serious multitasking that uses a lot of processor power it might effect things.

I really am not sure if it does help but you could try doing stuff like turning off the trees, 2 man squads, getting low-res mods, decreasing the horizon. Worth a try anyway.

What resolution are you running the game in? A 'normal' resolution in other games sometimes causes your computer to think very hard about turns.

When I first bought CMBO, my computer would crash after a few turns because it got too hot- now I've got a new fan and set the resolution a bit more sensibly (can't remember what to, though).

To change resolution, I think you delete the config file in CMAK directory- but someone please confirm this before anyone does it. I don't want to be the thread whipping boy. Again.

On a similar note, I recently upgraded my motherboard. I had an ASUS A7V8X with the KT400 chipset and went to a Chaintech Apogee 7NJL1 with an Nvidia NForce2 chipset. My machine's specs are quite good. Won't get into the component details but very powerful. I noticed since I upgraded the motherbiard that when I start up CMAK and CMBB it takes longer for the main screen to display and the music to start. The screen goes black and there is a "pregnant pause" if you will. Anyone have any input on this one? Figured it was just the way the new motherboard handled it. With the older ASUS board the screen and sound fired up immediately.

I'm not unhappy with the upgrade and once the game is up it actually runs a bit better but what's with the delay?

Probably should be on the tech forum.

By DEFAULT its 1024x768 and that may be the problem. However this is a very "pixely" game and it should not affect it. I play games that require so much more and it run better then freakin Afrika Korp crap. Anyway, no I only have this game running in ther background. And far as trees and stuff off, I am in the desert so uh you cant. :(

Nothing else? Any Quicklaunch (like Realplayer etc) does count. Anything that promises to start faster if you install sumfink means sumfink is running in the background. And there are quite a lot of programs that run and don't show up in the TaskManager...

If you really want to be sure, use AdAware or something similar to discover these things.

But your PC is really not the fastest. OTOH I have a 1800 Pentium and it runs smooth - if it weren't for an occasional bug that disturbs the BIOS settings reducing speed. Guess its the AntiVirus program.

Battles with lots of units, lots of flat open ground (read: long LOS) and lots of smoke take very much time to compute. That little blue bar in the status panel indicates turn processing.

10000 pts on a huge desert map will take several minutes to compute.

Reason: There are millions of calculations if you have many moving objects. Every fraction of a second every unit checks LOS and has to decide what to do (Stop, take cover, fire). There are not many other games with so many units whose actions depend on other units.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by junk2drive:

i have a duron 1.2 and ati 7000 64mb ddr, 512 ram, wd 80g 7200rpm 8 cache. 800x640. game runs fine. only jerkyness is when a lot of craters on map.

hMMM...I have a way better V-card than you, however you have 128 mb more RAM...wierd..

Hmmm... I'm running off a creaky old G3 mac with a 16 meg card and I don't have your troubles. Let me qualify that - I avoid much of anything marked HUGE and I don't have your problems.

Other games may run faster but they don't usually involve a couple battalions nose-to-nose. You've got to find the optimal scenario size for your particular computer. The most computer friendly scenario size for you perhaps shouldn't stray much over 4500 points and 3 sq km map?