CMAK talk, going back in time...hard?

Don't get me wrong, I love Battlefront and the Combat Mission series... it is currently my favorite game, and will pre-order my copy the day I learn of it.

but I question the gameplay of going back in time to the first part of WW2.

I think gamers would be disappointed playing with older armor units and equipment.

Tactics would be more important then in the previous 2 games. because the area was mostly open, ugly terrian... and battles were won with more smarts then latter in WW2 when numbers and power ruled.

anyone agree or disagree?

just wondering, how going back in time to older armor pieces, and open, boring terrian will be.

I so, so disagree.

I like it better then late war. Late war the battlefield is so damn lethal. Everyone can just about kill everyone else.

With CMAK I hope to see less lethality, making coordinating your forces even more mandatory. Early war, things can kill tanks or chuck HE, they rarely do both. And vehicles that chuck HE are rare, so you will be integrating fields guns into your forces as an effective unit at last.

In 1940, you better choose the right tool for the job or you will have no chance of succes, whereas in (late)1944 just about any unit can make a half-decent stab at any objective.

The only thing that has me worried a bit is that the 88s (both Brit and German) may be a bit "uber" but then again, that is when they earned their reputations.

I disagree too. I think it will be fun to see further than you can shoot.

I am hoping that the first game of the New Engine will be the early years in Spain and France 1940. I think that the new engine will be able to handle horses, motorcycles as well as those fun tankettes.

Maybe there would be an option that would let the player set up experimental organization and equipment mixes. After all, those were the years when the great powers were doing just that.

Less is More.

Less uberTanks is More fun.... Toad

What boring terrain? There's lots of greenery and hills in Tunisia & Algeria, Italy and Crete.

I can just see someone making a invasion of Malta Operation, and also ops in the various little Aegean & Adriatic Islands.

And the desert is NOT all flat!! Not any mroe than the steppe for example ;)

Originally posted by Magnum MGG:

but I question the gameplay of going back in time to the first part of WW2.

I think gamers would be disappointed playing with older armor units and equipment.

Well, I don't think so.

The game will cover the whole spectrum. From the battle of Crete to the desert campaign to the war in Italy, so there will be a good mix of older and "newer" equipment, sort of like what we have in CMBB.

Tactics would be more important then in the previous 2 games. because the area was mostly open, ugly terrian... and battles were won with more smarts then latter in WW2 when numbers and power ruled.

just wondering, how going back in time to older armor pieces, and open, boring terrian will be.

Disagree again. Don't let the title fool you, this game will also cover the Italian campaign. I don't know what you know about the topography of Italy, but is anything other than "open and boring."

I think it will be an excellent addition and is needed to fill out the CM lineup.

I don't think I will like the game more than I like CMBB, but I am an EF freak, personally.

smile.gif

I seriously disagree - I have found that I LOVE bad armour, as someone else said by 44, the tanks are getting to deadly.

give me crappy armour, weak arty and few planes....love those Italians!

Which is why I like designing Spanish Civil War scenarios--reallllllly crap armour.

I'm looking forward to the dust, maneuver and tactics

the infantry in particular seems to play a greater role in say, 1941 than it does in 1944-45... the HE loadouts carried by your typical late war tanks are deadly to infantry... in 1941 the infantry - while not having the greatest antitank capabilities - has a fighting chance... in cmbb i've played - by far - more 1941 than anything...

my concern about cmak was the size of the mapboards but in an interview with (was it moon?) it was noted that the boards will be bigger in cmak so north africa... no problem... and one of the first battles i thought of was something representing the early fighting between brits and italians...

"HALF a century ago, Hitler's forces stormed across Europe."

A few took the wrong turn somewhere and ended up in the desert - on their own...

CM AK - Where men are still real men and tanks are still real tanks.

Camels not included.

[ April 10, 2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Zarquon ]

I agree ....... :eek:

But only with this bit ........ ;)

Originally posted by Magnum MGG:

...............SNIP...........

Tactics would be more important then in the previous 2 games....SNIP............

Buy you'll never convince me that's a negative aspect for a new game .....

I'm not even sure tactics will be 'more' important ... just 'different' tactics will be required and if you use different tactics

So if you have to fight your battles in a different way .... then even with the same game engine and similar units, you have what is essentially a new game !

(Now just watch one of the tactics guru's come and slap me for saying that :D )

Originally posted by Mike:

I can just see someone making a invasion of Malta Operation, and also ops in the various little Aegean & Adriatic Islands.

Just what I was thinking as I wiped the drool away mate. I had Crete in mind, obviously you couldn't do the whole thing but think Maleme, Iraklion, Rethymnon. What awesome operations they would make especially with those mad NZers..... :D

I think CMAK could be a real tactician nightmare. How to handle infantry, for one thing. And how to fight those dreaded 88s from 2k out.

It's mostly up to the future scenario designers. They could give us 'CMBO in the desert' or they could start thinking in new ways. Can we expect max turn length battles on huge maps in order to give the players time to maneuver?

How about just 10 Scenarios on the CD with 50 multi-battle Operations?! I've felt operations are a neglected aspect of CM. Maybe open desert fighting will also open up the possibilities for multi-battle operations.

[ April 10, 2003, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]