Combat Mission Napoleonic Style...

Anyone agrees?Just imagine your army ranks filling the battlefield,advancing at steady pace with the muskets on the shoulders under the enemy's artilery fire that cuts tens and hundreds of them down.Imagine the cuirassiers breaking the squares or the bloody assaults over the redoubts.Adding to that, the Napoleonic age has much more interesting and colourful uniforms,a blessing for the moders.Anyway ,this great engine of CM could be used for almost everything...ancient,premodern and even futuristic battles.

What do you think?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am waiting....soooooo waiting for the Napoleonic tactical/grand tactical game in this 'we go' style.

I also think it'd be fantastic because modelling the campaign side of Napoleonic warfare is so much easier. It's a case of supplying armies & corps of 30-100,000 men, not quarters of millions! There are definite supply lines, discrete march routes, no continuous 'fronts' in the C20th sense, etc. etc. This would allow you to fully achieve the Napoleonic scheme of better concentrating your force on the field...organising that 110%+ that enables you to turn the flank and win the battle.

The visual style of CM also appeals greatly. Being able to plot actions with level 4/5 views, then pan down to 1 or 2 for the action phases...wow!! See that Prussian cavalry turn the French infantry into salami!! Woo hoo! Hell, hit a unit, view 1, tab, and ride along for the charge!!

Being able to do all this in a PBEM format rather than a 'real time' format, like Sid Meier's American Civil War style/Napoleon's Last Battle style game....ah....*sigh*...but are there any Napoleonic buffs out there with BFCs commitment to quality games, knowledge of the era, and computer skills?.. There's the rub.

Still, we can dream...

napoleon was the last great frenchman. and of course, he inevitably lost. lol.. but yes, a napoleonic game of cm would be cool. but i'd prefer an american civil war game. not as pretty, but i'd love to hear those rebel yells when the confederates charge! yeee haw!!! ;)

Breakaways "Waterloo; Napoleons Last Battle and "Austerlitz; Napoleons Greatest Victory are terrific realtime Napoleonic Wargames. The fanatical level of attention to detail approaches that of CM games.

If you have ever played Sid Meiers Gettysburg! well they are similar to that but with vastly more depth, detail and colour.

cheers,

Flea.

I would love to see the Scottish Battles for Independence done on a CM type game but they probly would not fill one CD. The game engine and the upcoming re-write would be strong enough to capture any combat zone and yes futuristic really appeals to me as well. BFC could let there imagination run wild with new tanks, infantry and laser wielding loons of the next millenia. The American civil war would also be a big attraction as well even for us Euro's.

Originally posted by Screaming Flea:

Breakaways "Waterloo; Napoleons Last Battle and "Austerlitz; Napoleons Greatest Victory are terrific realtime Napoleonic Wargames. The fanatical level of attention to detail approaches that of CM games.....

cheers,

Flea.

I beg to differ. They are Napoleonics LITE to be sure. When a battalion of Prussian Landwehr can deploy into skirmish order en masse, there is something terribly wrong. There are more inaccuracies, but I don't want to waste the energy required to remember them.

Lastly, it is a RTS game. A clickfest where unreal events take place at an unreal pace.

I LOVE Napoleonics (& CM) and I sold my copy of their first offering two weeks after I bought it.

Yet, I won't deny anyone their fun. If that is the sort of thing you like, by all means go for it.

It's a case of supplying armies & corps of 30-100,000 men, not quarters of millions!
I think you need to revisit your napoleonic histories. Those figures are way too low. Certainly at the beginning of the Napoleonic wars that figure would be about correct but army numbers gradually and steadily grew throughout that period until 1812 when Napoleon massed 600,000 troops for the campaign against Russia.

Napleonic CM would be rubbish - the engine simply isn't set up to handle long lines of troops and batteries of cannon - let alone Cavalry - we haven't even got horses for supply wagons and you want cavalry??!!

lol

Go get Medieval Total War and one of the Napoleonic mods for that if you need a fix.

Gaylord Focker said

Originally posted by zukkov:

napoleon was the last great frenchman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Napoleon was Corsican.

Corsia was sold by the Kingdom of Naples (or was it Piedmont?) to France one year before Napoleon was born, so he is French.

Edited for more accuracy.

1768 The Treaty of Versailles - 1789 Integration with France

Corsica, the only independent island of the Mediterranean, had nevertheless a flimsy army.

France which had seen, at the expense of an ambiguous policy, its influence grow, in the Mediterranean in general and particularly in Genoa, found itself granted Corsica in 1768 by the Treaty of Versailles. The armed resistance opposed by the Corsica of Pascal Paoli The armed resistance opposed by the Corsicans of Pascal Paoli ended with their defeat at Ponte-Novo the 8th of May 1769.

Three months later, the 15th of August 1769 Napoléon Bonaparte was born.

Regards

A.E.B

[ June 22, 2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: A.E.B ]

Guest konrad
Originally posted by A.E.B:

Gaylord Focker said

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Originally posted by zukkov:

napoleon was the last great frenchman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Napoleon was Corsican.

Corsia was sold by the Kingdom of Naples (or was it Piedmont?) to France one year before Napoleon was born, so he is French.

Regards

A.E.B </font>

You guys aren't reaching far enough back. Peloponnesian War, 450-ish B.C.! Great sea battles, Hoplite infantry formations, Sythian horsemen. It would be spectacular!

Or come forward a couple hundred years, Rome vs Hannibal. Rome got their butt kicked BAD on several occassions by him!

Guest konrad
Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

Ah yes, the semi-annual Napoleonic CM thread shows its face again....

Because Napoleon will live in our hearts forever!!!!

...er, wasn't Napoleon considered, in his day, as dangerous as Hitler was in the 40's?

And I thought the only reason why Yanks were partial to Napoeon was in response to those little dust-ups with the Brits in the years round-about the turn of the 1800's.

Guest konrad
Originally posted by MikeyD:

...er, wasn't Napoleon considered, in his day, as dangerous as Hitler was in the 40's?

Whoops MikeyD ,very bad boy you are (althought good modder)

Don't get misleaded by 19 century propaganda .

Then ,if you really want ,try to compare Napoleon with other rulers in his time (I recommend for begining Tzar of Russia ) .The wars he fought was against coalitions and mostly waged upon him .That he fought on his enemies territories ?well ,not like Hitler ,Napoleon was really a military genius.

Another funny notion ,that some antinapoleonic organisation *like german students Jugendbund ,after the old order won over ,become very pronapoleonic (even after his death).

And I hope you know something about Bourbons:)?

Besides ,Napoleon give as Codex Civil among other thinks .

ooops ,I lost breath ..

MikeyD ,you are very ,very wrong there

(one weekend in library instead of chasing girls should solve that).

[ June 23, 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: lenakonrad ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

You guys aren't reaching far enough back. Peloponnesian War, 450-ish B.C.! Great sea battles, Hoplite infantry formations, Sythian horsemen. It would be spectacular!

Or come forward a couple hundred years, Rome vs Hannibal. Rome got their butt kicked BAD on several occassions by him!

Hear hear! You have my vote!

Originally posted by lenakonrad:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

</font>

Originally posted by lenakonrad:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

Then ,if you really want ,try to compare Napoleon with other rulers in his time (I recommend for begining Tzar of Russia ) .

</font>