Are there any other true blue players who DON'T use mods

Originally posted by Hans:

Hmmmmmm, am I the only guy who doesn't use Mods?

Calling "not using mods" "true blue" is akin to saying that the only way to drive from Perth to Sydney is in an antique car.

Sure - it's authentic and nostalgic. But, those reasons aside, why would you do it?

BFC clearly intended for the game to be Modded - heck they don't even provide you with a complete set of BMPs (at least in CMBO they didn't). So, nostalgia aside, one would tend to expect people to take advantage of improvements.

Each to their own, of course.

GaJ.

(Just another sucker, swallowing the bait...)

mods all the way baby! some use them for historical accuracy, but i like em cuz they're :cool: . that's not to say the originals are bad, they're not. but i love the mud, the slogans, the numbers, the cammo schemes, and all the little touches that add flavor to the game. besides, if bfc didn't want em modded, they wouldn't have allowed it to be so...well, not easy. let's just say accessible..

No mods in CMBB for me. Looked damn good right out of the CD. I did have CMBO modded, but when I had to reformat my HD, I never reinstalled them. Sure, I now need to wear sunglasses whenever playing CMBO, but it's no bigs.

Of course, having a dial-up connection might have something to do with it...

Originally posted by Hans:

Hmmmmmm, am I the only guy who doesn't use Mods?

Heresy and Sacrilege!!! You must wear a scarlet letter 'M' before being burned at the stake!

Just kidding....I didn't use a whole lot of mods in CMBO and really did mod anything in CMBB until Mr. Noobie started posting all his Russian armor. It got me hooked and now it's like a drug.

Maybe I should open a mod-addict clinic to help others... ;)

COG

I think BFC make the default skins, terrain etc ok, but they are indeed intended to be modded.

The default grey tanks for example are far too clean and dull.

Mods are the salt in the meal for me, i can watch a tank attack on level 1 or 2 many times when they are all nicely modded.

I hope modders can make a kind of color scheme for CMAK, so not all new vehicles are a different kind of sand color smile.gif

Monty

Alright, at the risk of highjacking the thread (or, more generously put, expanding the scope of the thread)....

I don't use mods in CMBB, although I modded the heck out of CMBO. Actually the only CMBB mod I use is the gridded terrain which I find incredibly useful.

So why did I mod CMBO and not CMBB? Well, first of all, I think that the CMBB default BMPs are pretty darn good. And second of all, I modded CMBO by finding a list of "essential" mods: the best sounds, vehicles, buildings, grasses, etc. I believe this was put together by Madmatt himself and posted on combatmission.com. (My apologies to the actual author if I'm mistaken.)

So.... I would like to mod CMBB if there is a similar list of suggestions. It would be great to improve the look and sound of my game, but I really don't have time or interest to become a "mod grog".

Any tips?

Thanks,

Dr. Rosenrosen

[Edited to note that historical accuracy is not really critical for me, as long as it looks interesting.]

[ September 23, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Rosenrosen ]

What no mods? Are you out of your mind? :D Why even get up in the morning then. ;) Hey, if you don't like or want mods that's up to you but to me it makes all the difference in the world to have them. I don't think the game would be what it is now if it wasn't for them but I am a mod nut.

I like the matching vehicles that came with the stock
Well I've just gone back to stock textures for that very reason. I lined up all the Russian stuff in the editor and realised I had every possible different shade of green, some dirty, some clean etc etc. It kind of looked messed up. So now just got a few MD and AF vehicle mods that closely match the stock colours.

No mods :eek: !!! That's just wrong! :D

Mods are like crack, only a lot less expensive. If I had any conscience at all I should warn people to stay as far away from mods as humanly possible.

But since I don't, I advise any holders-out to head over to the Combat Mission Mod Database to get a little taste and see what it's all about. It won't hurt. I promise. Start by replacing the yucky old lo-res CMBO "legacy textures" like the Jeep, M5 halftrack, Nashorn, etc. Maybe pick up some winter textures when you're at it, because CMBB doesn't ship with any of those.

That should probably be enough, but you won't stop there. Oh no you won't. Hahahahaha! tongue.gif