What can we expect from CMX2?

Sorry to start (yet another) new thread reference this, but I haven't found anything relevant yet.

What do you think we can expect to see from this new engine rewrite? I can't honestly imagine it. Not something this scale, modelled in true 3d. It would be massive, and surely virtually unplayable? The thing I really like about the current games is the 60 seconds on, and however long you want to plot your move. It will be interesting to see how you overcome this problem, when you have miles of terrain, and 3d scale units. I just hope it doesn;t turn into a close combat/Blitzkrieg hybrid :(

Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

Sorry to start (yet another) new thread reference this, but I haven't found anything relevant yet.

What do you think we can expect to see from this new engine rewrite? I can't honestly imagine it. Not something this scale, modelled in true 3d. It would be massive, and surely virtually unplayable? The thing I really like about the current games is the 60 seconds on, and however long you want to plot your move. It will be interesting to see how you overcome this problem, when you have miles of terrain, and 3d scale units. I just hope it doesn;t turn into a close combat/Blitzkrieg hybrid :(

Uh-oh, better hope Dorosh doesn't see this or he'll show you his giant nickles. I have a bad case of coin envy...

Go look here for the only bone about CMX2 you git.

[ June 11, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: ColumbusOHGamer ]

"Not something this scale, modelled in true 3d."

If this isn't 1:1 3-D scale what is? 1000m looks like 1000m to me, an 8 foot tall tank appears to be about 8 foot tall. Granted, it's not the Matrix, but it has its moments.

Most of the in-progess screenshots of the up-and-coming competition I've seen look like the same basic game concept, maybe with the bmp file resolution a bit higher, very many fewer vehicles and troops with a very much more complex polygon for each.So far I'm not impressed by what I see.

I've said this before, if BFC just changed the game color pallate from bright colors to more of a faded sepia-tone, set the standard view from x1 to x1.5 to alter the depth-of-field, and gave a small fog percentage on clear days to represent haze in the distance it would come a long way to making the game look more like their 'high-end' competition.

Well, last I really heard from Steve was that most of the suggestions he had heard were too narrow in scope, more evolutionary than revolutionary, more of an extension of the current engine than a whole new engine. With that in mind, my contribution to the wish list (see thread CMX2 wish list) was more along the lines of flexibility for future products.

So I think we can expect

- dynamic lighting

- elimination of borg spotting

- maybe a whole new AI structure such as specifying how the AI will react or AI that "learns"

- hooks for ease in adding to the system, maybe making it more modular

- whole new turn structure to allow team play, full motion movie playbacks

- depending on what direction they wish to go, maybe adding WMD's

Try thinking revolutionary....

Originally posted by Moon:

Juardis, you are closer to the truth than you might expect smile.gif If you see any guys with black sunglasses, RUN!

Martin

Here we go. Start throwing chicken bones and scattering tea leaves and watch the forum masses try to interpret. This should be fun! :D

Cheers,

Jason

It has to be turn based. How difficult would it be in real-time?? A batallion sized engagment for instance, all played in real time. Crazy.. I like the turn based aspect too. It gives you plenty of time to pick your moves, to think ahead etc etc. Also, something I've been thinking about - I can't see how the units will work in the new engine. Take the 3-man graphic representation that we currently have - IMHO I can't see this working - it would look like Panzer Elite..

Originally posted by MrNoobie:

will it be still turn based? cuz i prefer turn based. i still remmeber playing the CMBO demo and had a nasty little surprise when that panther came out of no where

you mean like:

I go THEN you go? (those kinds of turns?)

not "we go" like CMBB and CMBO?

I would bet it will be "WE go" with simulteaneous combat resolution but NOT RTS smile.gif

-tom w

And sound. Madmatt mentioned something about redoing sound (speed of sound etc.)

Fully 3D Battlespace! Helicopters and the like.

I also expect the modelling to go into a whole new dimension - actual turret and turning speeds, a more detailed hull model (more than three sections) Infantry firing from vehicles

Hopefully Vanir, plus a lot more smile.gif Details are still some distance away though.

Out of interest Phil, what is it that makes you feel CMX2 will possibly be virtually unplayable? smile.gif Just curious, as Ive read your first post a few times and you mention that you cant imagine CM modelled in true 3D whereas the CM you already own already is modelled in true 3D, hehe. Hopefully I can put some of your fears to rest, but I need to understand what they actually are first smile.gif

Dan

[ June 12, 2003, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

It would be cool if CMX2 came with little cardboard pieces that we could place on a paper map to help us keep track of all the units on the screen. smile.gif

Now that's CRAZY MAN! :eek:

Why would anyone EVER attempt to simulate military combat with cardboard pieces on a flat 2-D map? :eek: !

How would you EVER figure out all the LOS and LOF calculations! ;)

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

It would be cool if CMX2 came with little cardboard pieces that we could place on a paper map to help us keep track of all the units on the screen. smile.gif

Now that's CRAZY MAN! :eek:

Why would anyone EVER attempt to simulate military combat with cardboard pieces on a flat 2-D map? :eek: !

How would you EVER figure out all the LOS and LOF calculations! ;)

-tom w </font>

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

didn't Avalon Hill do with "Across the Dneipr" or somesuch, with Board 3 of Squad Leader and some program for the Apple IIe to run the calculations?

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Hopefully Vanir, plus a lot more smile.gif Details are still some distance away though.

Out of interest Phil, what is it that makes you feel CMX2 will possibly be virtually unplayable? smile.gif Just curious, as Ive read your first post a few times and you mention that you cant imagine CM modelled in true 3D whereas the CM you already own already is modelled in true 3D, hehe. Hopefully I can put some of your fears to rest, but I need to understand what they actually are first smile.gif

Dan

Don't get me wrong - I'm looking forward to this like everyone else on this forum.. I'm sort of expecting it to look 'ultra modern' by the time it comes out, and resembling a cross between battlefield command and panzer elite. If you just sit back and imagine something like that, but twenty times bigger, on a massive battlefield, with a new physics model, and new graphics, and real-time shadows, and... the potential list goes on. It's obviously going to be a truly massive project. It's going to be such a step forward from what we have already. I can't wait smile.gif

I'm trying to picture how the gameplay will go.. Will it be like it is now, with a birds-eye view of the overall battle, or will it scale right down to individual units and turn into a FPS??

When I hear 'war-game' I see this game much like CMBO/CMBB/CMAK is/will be. I can't imagine anything else, with all the complexity we know and love.

Sorry to waffle on, hope it makes sense!