Anybody ever see a ricochet take out another AFV?

Just wondering since this is a touted feature of the game where every round is tracked individually. So I presume ricochets are tracked since presumably the info to track them is available (velocity and angle of impact). But I have never seen a ricochet create any collateral damage. I guess maybe the loss of the TC on a ricochet could be caused by the shell fragments.

Anyway, anybody ever see any collateral damage from a ricochet? Like a shell bounced off the turret and slammed into a nearby half track knocking it out? I realize the chances of that are slim, but we have a large enough population here where I'd think perhaps SOMEONE has seen it happen.

This is not modeled. [OK, I think smile.gif ]

However, an explosion from the impact of a HE shell on a tank is modeled, and that even includes AP with HE charges.

I recently lost a TC of a nearby tank from a T-34/85 hit on a tank besides it. But I notived that this HE charge explosion is still there when the 85mm gets solid shot in April 44.

[ July 24, 2003, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

I thought that richochets (AP rounds only) were tracked by the game engine and could indeed cause collateral damage.

this is correct?

-tom w

MrSpkr

Member # 5297

posted June 11, 2002 10:56 PM                         

------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, as I understood it, a deflected round (not a pentrating round) is tracked in the game -- so Fionn's shameless reference to CMBB was accurate, but claims that a Sherman shot through a halftrack to kill an adjacent halftrack are specious.

Right?

Steve

I think you may be mistaken redwolf

Even in CMBO (even in the demo of CMBO) an AP rounds were/are tracked by the game engine and could cause collateral damage or take out another vehicle after a ricochet.

IMHO

am I wrong?

-tom w

Originally posted by redwolf:

This is not modeled.

However, an explosion from the impact of a HE shell on a tank is modeled, and that even includes AP with HE charges.

I recently lost a TC of a nearby tank from a T-34/85 hit on a tank besides it. But I notived that this HE charge explosion is still there when the 85mm gets solid shot in April 44.

I hope that richochet AP shells aren't *too* powerful in CM, considering that they must lose a good deal of their penetrating power in smacking up against a hard surface and then bouncing off at an odd angle.

Can ricochet AP shells be expected to penetrate their (second) target in real life? Assuming that the second target isn't poor hapless Private Jones (or his jeep) I mean.

I'm pretty sure I remember ricochets taking out tanks in CM:BO. What with each shell being tracked from firing point to destination, I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Maybe the reason we see fewer ricochets hitting targets in CM:BB is the tendency for the thoughtless Russkies to slope their armour at 40 degrees or more smile.gif

In the other squad level game (whisper now - close combat series) when a tank was hit and burst into flamez, it would continue to cook off any rounds still on board throughout the scenario. I lost more than a few troopers being too close to a smoking AFV. I haven't seen that yet in CMBB or CMBO.

I once destroyed two T34/76s with a Green Tiger: but I was firing at a KV. The rounds missed the KV and slammed into the T34s that were following it.

I have never seen a AFV damaged by a round bouncing from another AFV in CMBB. I cannot comment on CMBO.

Regards

A.E.B

Thanks for the links, but those were CMBO related, not CMBB. IIRC, the flight and penetration models were improved between CMBO and CMBB. That would lead me to believe that anything related to CMBO with regards to ricochets may not apply to CMBB. So far, I have seen nothing that says anybody has seen such an occurrence in CMBB. On the other hand, I do see the graphical representation of rico's in CMBB. Not sure how accurate that representation is, but I do see them.

I just finished a PBEM game of 'Battle of Minors' and with one shot from a 105mm HE shell I took out two tanks and damaged the gun on another. Granted he had them all parked next to each other and they were the light Hungarian {?} version of the Marder. But it was still cool.

I have never seen a richochet take out anything though.

Chad

I have lost a few tank commanders to ricochets. And infantry located nearby AFVs have been pinned or otherwise affected by shells aimed at the AFV. Don't recall if the shells were AP or HE, but there was definitely an effect.

Never seen ricochets strike another vehicle, though.

Originally posted by Lt Bull:

In CMBO, I once had a Churchill park right up behind a 6pdr AT gun. A Panther in the distance started shooting at the Churchill. One shot ricocheted off the front of the Churchill and slammed into the AT gun in front of it KOing it. I was not happy.

Lt Bull

I had a ricochet take out an OT-134. A shot from a 37mm ATG hit an abandoned tank (although I didn't know it yet) and ricocheted, killing the tank beside it.

No nearby infantry, no aircraft purchased, no other guns with LOS, and I replayed the turn about a dozen times. I posted about it a while back but I don't recall what anyone had to say. With light tanks there is no reason it isn't possible. Just improbable. ;)