ROW III - The Boots & Tracks CMBB Tourney (Part 3)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Status Report ROW III 3-4

# Rear_Guard_Action

Frenchy vs Space_Hamster

Progressing - doesn't look good for me

# Hosszupalyi

SuperSlug vs Frenchy

Complete

# The_Beast

Deadly 88 vs Frenchy

Complete

# The_Christmas_Battle

Frenchy vs Ryddle

Progressing - deadly for both sides

# King_Of_Debrecen

Joe_Cz vs Frenchy

Progressing - not looking good for me.

[ February 18, 2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

Holien:

I don't see how - now if I had put down how I obtained the M* victory, then I think that would be crossing the line or if I had put down the exact score. I could be wrong. If one of the Tournament directors says take it off I will.

2/17/03 - I stand corrected and have removed previous comments.

[ February 18, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

Small update:

Rear Guard Retration is progressing slowly*. Turn 12 or so.

Christmas Battle is still on turn 15 or so. Have not hear from the estimeed Toumas for 2-3 weeks

Hoss is nearly complete. 3 or so turns to go.

AAR for the Beast is done but have made few changes since I sent it in.

AAR for King of Debrecen is progressing. Was held up trying to work out how to put three thrumbnails in a row :( . Only took me a day smile.gif . Down hill run now. Should be done in a few days

Cpl Carrot

*slowly due to me not Holien. I should be able to speed things up in the weekend.

Originally posted by Frenchy:

Holien:

I don't see how - now if I had put down how I obtained the M* victory, then I think that would be crossing the line or if I had put down the exact score. I could be wrong. If one of the Tournament directors says take it off I will.

Because it can send a message as to whether other players on the same side are having troubles or succeeding well in a given scenario. Since we are using the NABLA system (as opposed to the NAMBLA system, which is illegal in the lower 48 contiguous states and Alaska), that much information can affect how an individual plays.

For example, if you and other did really bad in a given scenario with a given side, I might think about just trying to bloody the bad guy's nose a little, then withdrawing all my forces off the map in hopes that his losses would offset the points he could get from VLs. That might make me more competitive in a given scenario than if I had no information about how everyone else was doing and just decided to fight it out.

Steve

As for the rules RTFM (eg first post in this thread)

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

FOG OF WAR

No game results are to be revealed on the forum. You won't know who beat who until all is revealed at the end. Think before you post, and remember, no game scores, no blow by blow descriptions of the last movie, no general discussion about the scenarios, etc..

[ February 18, 2003, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]

Status Report ROW III 3-4

# Rear_Guard_Action

Deadly 88 vs SuperSlug

Progressing - Turn 28?

# Hosszupalyi

Deadly 88 vs Joe Cz

Turn 25? No reply in 7 days...

# The_Beast

Deadly 88 vs Frenchy

Complete

# The_Christmas_Battle

Deadly 88 vs SpaceHamster

Progressing Turn 18

# King_Of_Debrecen

Deadly 88 vs Ryddle

Progressing Turn 23

I accidentally loaded 1.01 files into 1.02 and it worked. What gives? Does this mean that the patch is not working? or it is backward compatible? Is that possible? I was told that you couldn't load 1.01 files into 1.02 or 1.02 files into 1.01...but I can with no problems. (I didn't do it on purpose...but I did start experimenting to see the side effects...and there isn't any? Comments?

Side note for Kingfish. I'm not much of a writer, nor am I elegant with words on paper, or feel inclined with the little free time that I have. Just how many points will I be losing if I don't submit AAR's? Is it a percentage of your Victory or Loss? That means that If I lose every battle, then the bonus points would add up to very little anyway. Or is it a flat % of the Total points of each scenario? That would be a significant amount...and could cause someone to lose their spot in the next round (FINALS)...not because they were an inferior opponent (enough points to advance) but because they didn't have enough free-time (Real Life) to write a story. If the Bonus points are small, perhaps those people will have enough points to still advance. If the Bonus points are large, then perhaps the best players are not the ones needed for the finals, just good ones who can tell a story.

Can the AAR's be submitted anytime prior to Easter? Even if the battle has been completed many weeks prior to Easter?

Comments are welcome

RTFM ;)

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

AARs

Bonus points will be added to your final Tourney Score if you submit AARs. Each full credit AAR will be worth 4% of the highest player's tourney score (before adding his AARs). If you write five full credit AARs you will receive additional tourney points equal to 20% of the highest player's tourney score.

AARs will receive either full credit or half credit. You must write more than just a few short paragraphs for full credit. I will let you know if an AAR is too short soon after you send it to me. You don't have to write a book either. Just give us a fairly good description of how the game played out. You could choose to write a piece on a scenario that is more of a scenario review than an AAR if you want. The main thing we're looking for is constructive feedback.

You are not required to write AARs. You just get a few extra points if you do. This could put you ahead if you're in a tight race in your section.

The primary purpose of the AARs is to provide the scenario designers with feedback on their work. If you've ever designed a scenario for the community, you know how rare it is to get this feedback. Writing AARs is one way to express your thanks to the designers. Even negative feedback is welcome as long as it's constructive and not mean spirited.

Another thing AARs do is help people learn to improve their tactics. Every scenario is played 36 times in a tourney such as this. There are 36 other people who had to deal with the same tactical situations you did. It can be very instructive to learn how others handled things, especially if you did worse than most. (BTW, all the AARs will be sent to you upon request once you have completed your games.)

Lastly, by writing an AAR (or review) you are doing the community a small favor. This is because the designer can tweak the scenario based on feedback before releasing it to the community. Having a scenario played 36 times by 72 different people is a great test of a scenario. I think it's safe to say that very few, if any, scenarios get that degree of testing before they are put out to the public.

Those of us who enjoy these tournaments need new scenarios (security). In return for these scenarios the designers should get the feedback they like.

Status Report ROW III, 3-2,

# The_Beast, StoneAge vs Steve_Fielding

Completed

# Hosszupalyi, Lt_Bull vs StoneAge

Completed

# King_Of_Debrecen, Major_Victory vs StoneAge

Completed

# Rear_Guard_Action, SlicerW vs StoneAge

Started Slow Progress

# The_Christmas_Battle, StoneAge vs Legend42

Started Slow Progress

Gents,

As of 8pm 02/18/03 I have received the following game results:

King of Debrecen

SlicerW - Mr Byte

Nolloff - Seahawk

SGT CDAT - Wellsonian

Jaws - Joakim_Ruud

Heavy Drop - Mick_OZ

Scheer - Wadepm

Flammenwerfer - Sripe

Juha Ahoniemi - Enoch

a1 steaks - Michael Boyd

Nidan1 - JPS

Bimmer - Spanish Bombs

The Beast

Mr Byte - Stoneage

Wellsonian - Nolloff

Holien - Bertram

Juha Ahoniemi - Combined Arms

Jon_L - Jeb

Enoch - Bimmer

Sripe - Jaws

Wapepm - Nidan1

U8led - Texas Toast

Michael Dorosh - Cpl Carrot

Scheer - Sgt Gold

Shock Trooper - Flammenwerfer

Mick_OZ - Pixelmaster

John Stycharz - Lt Bull

Frenchy - Deadly 88

JPS - James Crowley

Seahawk - Cyrano

Spanish Bombs - Tabpub

Lord Dragon - endit

Hosszupalyi

Michael Dorosh - Holien

Combined arms - Enoch

Matt Green - Lord Dragon

Flammenwerfer - Jaws

Vadr - Cpt T

SGT CDAT - Seahawk

Dirty Mark - Sripe

Stone age - Lt Bull

a1 steaks - Mr Spkr

Nolloff - Cyrano

Nidan1 - James Crowely

Fate - Mick_OZ

Sgt Gold - Wadepm

Scheer - JPS

Juha Ahoniemi - Spanish Bombs

Legend42 - Mr Byte

Ratman - Cuzn

Joakim_Ruud - Shock Trooper

Jeb Callan - Frunze

Frenchy - Superslug

The Christmas Battle

Joakim_Ruud - Flammenwerfer

James Crowley - Scheer

Seahawk - Wellsonian

Major Victory - Mr Byte

Cyrano - SGT CDAT

Combined arms - Bimmer

Mr Spkr - Lord Dragon

Texas Toast - Cpt T

Rearguard action

Nolloff - SGT CDAT

Flammenwerfer - Dirty Mark

Texas Toast - Vadr

Nidan1 - Scheer

Lt Bull - Mr Byte

Bimmer - Juha Ahoniemi

Please e-mail me if you want to add to this list, or see something that needs correcting.

Thanks,

Sergio

[ February 19, 2003, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: Kingfish ]

My opponent in Rearguard Action has stopped sending me turns. I had the advantaged side and was winning handily. My other opponents had the advantaged side and gleefully sent me as many turns each day as i could stomach. I think a pattern has emerged!

Do we really have to wait the full time limit before a non-playing player loses? Just asking. :confused:

Ahhh hahhh Winecape you have only caught half a conversation and ended up with half an answer.

Yes we are playing for great South African wine.

However the Cpl is annoyed that for my wedding I have chosen Australia wine to be on the tables.

Penfold's to be exact.

Now if we had been getting married in South Africa it would have been South African wine without a doubt.

smile.gif

I see Major_Victory may have a drop out? Is the said person still sending turns to his other opponents? Sometimes people need breaks and it is usually good form to e-mail saying so. Did you get such an e-mail?

H

Originally posted by MajorVictory:

My opponent in Rearguard Action has stopped sending me turns. I had the advantaged side and was winning handily. My other opponents had the advantaged side and gleefully sent me as many turns each day as i could stomach. I think a pattern has emerged!

Do we really have to wait the full time limit before a non-playing player loses? Just asking. :confused:

The problem here that we need more than win/loss. We need a victory point percentage.

To achive that, this tourney had started under the rule that such games are played to the end by either a new opponent or the umpire if its short. But that was Treeburst, don't know what is happening now.

I enjoy the tourney less than the Nordc wannabees and RoW II, too, BTW. My sluggy turn rate is caused by workload, however and I think I'll be in time overall.

But speaking of "Rear Guard Action", my opponent did only send a setup for now, not even the opening turn. And this is a long game.