Combat mission wont work on my Atari .

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tero:

However, what about the integrity of the calculation ? You might inadvertantly choose numbers that are less than correct vis-a-vis the CM model thus tainting the outcome in a gamey fashion.<hr></blockquote>

Of course you must have an incorruptible third party actually implement the model.

How about this? You have a computer run an abacus simulation, simulating a computer running CM under the new Microcrap OS. Since you don't need any graphics, the videocard issues shouldn't cause problems.

The only difficulty would be in visualizing the board when giving orders, since everything would be text based, acc to some sort of coordinate system. Perhaps a sand table would be in order?

And then, in order to more rapidly set up the sand table after every turn, you could run a virtual sand table program on a second abacus.

I really don't see where the problem lies.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Of course you must have an incorruptible third party actually implement the model.

Of course.

How about this? You have a computer run an abacus simulation, simulating a computer running CM under the new Microcrap OS. Since you don't need any graphics, the videocard issues shouldn't cause problems.

Agreed. An added bonus is the facts that you can start using child labour to produce MOD's as they can be produced with regular, industry quality crayon found in any home housing toddlers.

The only difficulty would be in visualizing the board when giving orders, since everything would be text based, acc to some sort of coordinate system. Perhaps a sand table would be in order?

For larger operations a sandbox would be required. But I agree in principle.

And then, in order to more rapidly set up the sand table after every turn, you could run a virtual sand table program on a second abacus.

In case there is no second abacus a wooden plank can be used to simulate the abacus.

I really don't see where the problem lies.

The only real problem I can see: you may have to fight your children over the abacus and the sandbox. And the MOD's they produce may not be that historically accurate.

:D

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: tero ]</p>

Dare I suggest that CM should be running under the GASP other operating system - Linux?

[Ducks head, knowing that if there is only one thing worse than the Windoze-Macintosh religious wars, it has to be the Windoze-Linux religious wars :D ]

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian:

Dare I suggest that CM should be running under the GASP other operating system - Linux?

[Ducks head, knowing that if there is only one thing worse than the Windoze-Macintosh religious wars, it has to be the Windoze-Linux religious wars :D ]<hr></blockquote>

Linus?...

You mean that goofy kid in the charlie Brown comics who keeps waiting for The Great Pumpkin every year? What has he got to do with any of this???

Linux/Windows isn't a religious war. More like, hmm, let's see, this OS has an industry full of applications written for it, the other OS is currently a smaller niche player in the OS market.

Where should I put my development $$ and time?

At my firm, I build SW for a living, and none of our clients have asked diddly about a Linux version, so we don't make one. (We sell to Fortune 500's)

Once Linux has a larger installation base and wider general acceptance, you might see more SW going that way, but the demand needs to be there first, then the development tools, then come the products.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Linus?...

You mean that goofy kid in the charlie Brown comics who keeps waiting for The Great Pumpkin every year? What has he got to do with any of this???<hr></blockquote>

It's on ABC tonight. I think it's the first time it's not on CBS. Since we're all reminiscing, do you remember the way CBS used to introduce the Peanuts specials with the big SPECIAL rotating around the screen in vibrant color (because we didn't all have color). And every other commercial was for York Peppermint Patties.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I have found out that keeping to B/W setting looks and works better than trying to use colours. Reminds me when I played my C-64 games with a B/W TV (anybody old enough around here to remember them ? smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

By the time I upgraded to a C=64 (actually a 128) I also upgraded to a color TV, B/W was for the trusty VIC-20. smile.gif

BTW, CM runs adequately on a VIC, but it really is pretty sluggish. And with only 3 kilos of free memory, you really can't go wild with mods...

--

edit. beats the abacus anyway.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Jarmo ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

It's on ABC tonight. I think it's the first time it's not on CBS. Since we're all reminiscing, do you remember the way CBS used to introduce the Peanuts specials with the big SPECIAL rotating around the screen in vibrant color (because we didn't all have color). And every other commercial was for York Peppermint Patties.<hr></blockquote>

Yes, sadly I'm old enough to remember that.

P.S.--Thanks for the tip on that Peanuts special. I thought I had missed it for the umpteenth straight year.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>For larger operations a sandbox would be required. But I agree in principle.<hr></blockquote> I don't know guys, I tried the sandbox but I kept running into big blocky graphics glitches ... smelled too ... OH ... SANDBOX, not litter box ... my mistake.

Joe

Yeah, Atari kicked ass (specially the Activision games), but the real gaming breakthrough came with Colecovision! It kicked intellevision's ass! I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I was one of the 10 or so people that got a Colecovision ADAM computer. Now those were some controllers that took some getting used to.

CM on Colecovision, followed by a little Buck Rogers or Donkey Kong...

Damn time flies.

Murph

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Murph:

Yeah, Atari kicked ass (specially the Activision games), but the real gaming breakthrough came with Colecovision! It kicked intellevision's ass! <hr></blockquote>

I think not. ColecoVision had better graphics and that's about it. Intellivision and Atari had better games and a much wider selection to choose from. You'll notice that people always talk fondly about Atari and Intellivision but ColecoVision never gets mentioned. Hmmm, I wonder why...

P.S.--In addition to Sea Battle, I have to nominate Utopia as the other great Intellivision game. In fact, there are a lot of Sid Meier fans out there who remember how great a game this was and affectionately refer to it as Civ 0.5

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jagdwyrm:

which version are you using 2600 or 5200?<hr></blockquote>[sNEER] 2600 indeed, don't talk to me about Ataris until you can talk with authority about your Atari 400 or 800 [/sNEER]. Dadgummed young whippersnappers.

Joe

Yeah! Intellivision was cool! I've still got a ton of cartridges including my all time favorite -- Sea Battle. Armor Battle and B-17 (with the voice module) were pretty cool too. But alas... my CMBO disc won't fit in this baby. It won't fit in my old Amiga 500 either :D Also, I tried to use the CMBO disc as a sleep aid on my stereo system -- that didn't work either! ug..ug..ug...uWAAAaaaaaaah! uWAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Gentlemen

Don`t knock the old computers. I played my first W/Game on an Atari 400- block graphics and all, and I still have an Atari 130XE and the game. Also own in order of precedence Amiga 1200, Atari ST1040 and a Sega Megadrive and Saturn and their lat dead m/c the Dreamcast running Microcrap. So it would appear I have come full circle an CMBO it the best I have ever playe on any system, bar none.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif:D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by themaltese:

Yeah! Intellivision was cool! I've still got a ton of cartridges including my all time favorite -- Sea Battle. Armor Battle and B-17 (with the voice module) were pretty cool too. But alas... my CMBO disc won't fit in this baby. It won't fit in my old Amiga 500 either :D Also, I tried to use the CMBO disc as a sleep aid on my stereo system -- that didn't work either! ug..ug..ug...uWAAAaaaaaaah! uWAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaah!<hr></blockquote>

Oh yeah, who could forget B-17 which introduced the Intellivision voice module. If only we could use that for CM. Then when your 150mm rockets land all over the map including on top of your own forces, you can hear those immortal words, "That's the wrong target!" smile.gif

Intellivision was a big step forward, doesn't anyone remember the football game? You could call a whole bunch of different plays from that wierd controller.

And the players looked like stick figures instead of monster heads (Atari 2600). Now that's progress!

Oh you guys are nuthin'. I had an Odessey 2. It had a full keyboard on the main console. I think it had about 4-bit graphics. Maybe even 2-bit. It had several cool games. It had it's own versions of classic '80s arcade games, like U.F.O. was their version of Asteroids, Pick Axe Pete was their version of Donkey Kong. Munchkin was their version of Pac-Man.

I remember getting up real early and going in and turning on our old 23" console TV, the one that took 5 minutes to warm up. Flip the gaming switch and firing up UFO at 6:30 in the morning.

Bad problem with the controllers though. They were hard wired into the machine on both ends. Sometimes the wires would get damaged or the spring inside the joystick would break allowing the joystick base to rub the case of the controller making for harsh movements. Tried getting around the problem by using graphite powder, but that just masked the problem.

It would be nice to see CM running under Linux. I believe its possible with VM but haven't had a machine powerful enough to try it. Lindows looks like another possibility, as does Win4Lin 3.0. However, they are just emulators not native binaries.

As to Linux's popularity, its got about 10-20% of the market (depending on whom you believe). Windows dominates but its a lie that there are no applications available for Linux. For virtually ever Windows application there is a comparable Linux one.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Anyone seen my scotch?<hr></blockquote>

That was yours? I mixed it with safeway cherry cola and chased it with Milwaulkee's Best beer. Mighty tasty!

[Runs before 'goz can hurl the glass, insults, or knives at me. He might hit some innocent bystanders, and then he would feel terrible]

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Puff the Magic Dragon:

I can run CM with my dog! Each time I throw my CD, he runs and bring it back to me.

Hey - that's cool. I can even make my dog run with CM :D <hr></blockquote>

I've tried everything and I still can't get it to work. I even uninstalled the vicous guard dog drivers and replaced them with fluffy retriever drivers which caused uncontrollable tail chasing. I demand BTS do somefink! No where was there any warning that CM wouldn't run with my current setup.

Rother