Sir Peng, I take your challenge to Lord Raglan

Guest Germanboy

Tome update:

In game breaking news. Moriarty is trying to give Croda a run for his money in the win/loss ratio.

Moriarty-loss

Seanachai-win

Now whos in for a bit of a sing song?

What shall we do with a drunken Pommie,

Earl-eye in the morning.

Put 'em in bed with mace's sheepers,

Earl-eye in the morning.

Lorak the loathed

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Iskander:

And as for "jolly homeys"... try flying that statement down in the 'hood sometimes, cracker.

I say isn't the Hood at the bottom of the Atlantic old boy?

------------------

Work is the curse of the drinking class.

I have nothing else to say. Ya, quote that you rat bastards.

-Meeks

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

Jd and I are now about to engage in a game of, "Kill the British tank"... me with the tin-sided monsters and he with what appears to be four KTs and three JTs, with a late-war Maus on loan from Charles just for this game.

I have it on good authority (I saw it with my own eyes) that the attorney morse will gladly drive large numbers of AFVs into a wicked abattoir of an ambush on demand. He just hurled seven of them (some tanks, some acs, some SP guns) into a deathtrap in the space of a minute. I almost feel bad continuing with the beating he's getting, but then I remember he's a lawyer and I feel better. And then I remember that he changed his login to "jd" and I chuckle a little at the midlife crisis that prompted it-- he's probably driving around in a sporty little red kubelwagen that he thinks will help him pick up chicks. I suppose I'll just continue with the slaughter, as much as it becomes tiresome. I no longer hate Rune, even though I may be punished in All's Quiet by elvis. In fact, I may have to retire from CM because I can't imagine ever seeing a movie as awsome as the one in which morse drives into the trap.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

tongue.gif

Choke alot and dieâ„¢ I hate when reality intrudes, course I can sublimate and punish Meeks. Done it before, will do it again. Meeks problem is that I do not have massive amounts of armor so my abilities are protected.

BTW Chris/1 maybe we should let you try the Jerry side and see how you do? Hmmmmmmmm?

[This message has been edited by jd (edited 02-28-2001).]

Originally posted by jd:

BTW chrisl maybe we should let you try the Jerry side and see how you do?

Now that I know the Brit OOB...

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Lorak,

Please let the record show that once again Peng has been felled by Elvis.

By the score of 81-19 I have defeated him in another TCP/IP game.

Comments of me not being creative can be put to rest with this one. I have always felt creativity has been my strong point and I have proven it in this game. Too loaded to give details now and I doubt I will rememeber them in the morning.

Elvis : Winner

Peng : Loser

------------------

"When they finally put you in the ground..I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down" Elvis Costello

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

Seanachai still hasn't sent his turn, he's probably still in mourning over the breakup of the Jackson Five. Don't worry, buddy, Michael and Tito have both had respectable careers since then.

Meeks, my little lad. The turn went out this evening. Now, I have no problem with being insulted, but I would request that you base the insults on something that might, however remotely, have something to do with my existence, rather than nightmares you suffer from that lead to rather humiliating nocturnal emissions. I might add, your info about the setup was...shall we say, sketchy, at best. But I forgive you, Elijah. I know you are only acting out your dreams of Machiavellian angst.

On a completely different topic:

Croda, you useless wank. Do you really mean to say that you have no clue as to who Lord Raglan was? I think it's time you stop Cessing Andreas, lad, and spend a few moments in silent contemplation of your own ignorance. Now, take a deep breath, do a web-search, if you are too useless to possess the proper historical references in your own home, and use a few minutes of your time for something other than useless posturing, and LEARN something.

The first act of the ignorant is to deride the gift of knowledge. Their second act is to deny the worth of knowledge. Their final act is to remain ignorant, while gloating over the fact that they have no knowledge. Do not fall into this abomination of existence.

Now, Croda, we all know that you are vile, useless, of no account as a tactician, and almost laughably inept. But, lad, we'd hate to think of you as wantonly stupid.

So tell us, Croda, what do you know about Lord Raglan?

------------------

Tremble, tyrants and you perfidious opprobrium of all the parties,

Tremblez! your parricidal projects finally will receive their prices!

But these sanguinary despots, But these accomplices of Berli,

All these tigers which, without pity, Bauhaus the centre of their mother!

We will enter the career When our elder is not there any more,

We will find there their dust And the trace of their virtues

Originally posted by JunoReactor:

Oh my god! Not only I had the privilage of posting in the first page of a peng thread, someone actually "took care of me". Will wonders ever cease?

These little pommie bugs just ...WONT....DIE!!!! Fortunately, this one is apparently harmless and has absolutely no bite what so ever.

Anyhow, best deal with it again.

*jumps up and down repeatedly on junoreactor insect*

Mace

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 03-01-2001).]

Originally posted by Moriarty:

Lorak, while you're scribing thusly, you may inscribe yet another loss for yours truly and a victory for the North Woods Bard, Senility, who cobbled together a minor victory ... more paltry than minor, actually. Do you think BTS would add "minuscule" to the victory options?

Well, actually, my victory over Moriarity would, on the surface, normally have appeared to be totally crushing. I controlled all but one of, what, 4? 5? VLs. But the butcher's bill actually favoured young Moriarity. So, I accept the minor victory, Lorak the Lout (you have been extremely disrespectful of me lately, lad. Don't make me defeat you again.) I have to say that once again Moriarity played a very good game, although he still Lost a Lot Nowâ„¢. He was an honourable opponent, full of surprises, tenacious as hell, and I don't hate him anywhere near as much as I hate Bauhaus. There is something wrong with Bauhaus. I am trying to put my thumb on exactly what, but I don't like actually touching even the concept of Bauhaus with unprotected skin.

------------------

Originally posted by JunoReactor:

Oh my god! Not only I had the privilage of posting in the first page of a peng thread, someone actually "took care of me". Will wonders ever cease?

One of the signs of true idiocy is to post nothing, and then smirk about the lack of contribution.

------------------

Wuss Update

While most of you are taking it like men (Ah! Don't even think about it bauhaus), I am sad to report that some of you have fallen back into your wussy ways.

Seanachai may boast all he likes about his vicotory over one or the other of the pool bicycles, but he has also reverted to not returning turns in a game with me started last September (no ****). That's 2Â¥ for you, bard, one for each day of pain avoidance.

Marlow accrues 5Â¥ for days missed in sending turns and 5Â¥ of additional wussiness for not sending out final turns before he goes walkabout.

Peng, who could forget him. He get's no additional wuss points since I actually got a turn, and the right side, and for the right turn out of his sorry ass between additional throttlings by his pissboy Elvis However, he does get 1¥ for snivelling about being given his last dose of ¥.

And, we have a newcomer folks. Joe Shaw, who is obviously available to further add to the angst of the outer Croda by using him as the butt of jokes, is obviously not available to take what is coming to him in our current game and is therefore awarded his rookie 1Â¥.

Lorak! I done did in a dalem. Thas' right...

Nijis - The Cesspuddlian Order of Victory, with oak leaves, clusters, and high-fiber additives, plus two nostril hairs and a toe-nail as the ears and tail seem to have already been taken.

Dalem -- The Bronze Turd of Good Sportsmanship.

Dalem launched a carefully planned attack, skillfully using the cover of woods and slopes to advance close to his objectives undetected before taking them in a daring rush, against the side of the map with no flags on it. Anyway, we'll meet again in a pair of infantry-on-infantry slugfests in upcoming weeks.

Speaking of same, my little pied-a-pied with MacStompie is going well, a careful combination of assault and bombardment sending his men into "masterful orderly withdrawals under fire," as he so quaintly puts it. PeterNZ, meanwhile, has been kind enough to demonstrate the perils of the alternative approach by staging little Somme reenactments up and down my line.

------------------

"I can't listen to music too often... It makes me want to say kind, stupid things, and pat the heads of people... But now you have to beat them on the head, beat them without mercy."

V. I. Lenin

Originally posted by Stuka:

Ohh Ohhh I know!

Lord Ragitty Ann was.....A lord who took rags from the rich to give to the poor. Thats why so many poor people still live in rags...

Like Mensch.

Pecker at least I dont have elf ears. I don't live in rags you nimbletwit, its those damn moths that ruin my classy stunning clothes

Originally posted by Seanachai:

...So tell us, Croda, what do you know about Lord Raglan?

I don't know a damned thing about Lord Raglan. You see, my study has been limited to American conflicts in the mid 19th century. I live 1/2 hour from Gettysburg and visit frequently. So while I can tell stories about Little Round Top and Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain <genuflect>, I really don't know ****e about Raglan. I gather that he lead the Charge of the Light Brigade. Bully for him. Now I know. Bully for me. Unlike Andreas, there's much out there that I don't know, and am eager to learn. Here's one more example.

Learning is a lifelong endeavor, not something completed by age 32.

On a completely unrelated matter because i can, and none of you can stop me I thought I would demo a sample of corporate taunting that I exchanged with some woman in Ireland. This woman mailed me because I mailed an old lecturer of mine saying we were recruiting and did students from my old dept. want work, I get £1000 if they get hired. My lecturer in his wisdom, sent the mail to just about everyone he knows.

Enjoy the following taunt, please start at the bottom of the following quote

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 11:43 AM

To: *deleted*

Cc: 'Ray Goldstein'

Subject: RE: Hi -- tell me what you do and what positions are available

Excuse me?

I'm hardly the HR person and have NO control over who is recruited therefore I can hardly provide more precise information for a company of nearly 700 people around the world that recruits around 20 people a month for over 6 different sectors.

I suggested reading the web site so you could check out the kind of company we are and what we do. Not every graduate is interested in analysis in the business world. If you had spent a little time on the site you would see details about on each section of DM including free white papers to download and read to help you get a feel for the sort of product we produce. Alternately you could have passed the address on to graduates and let them do some research of their own. I have suggested the site to friends in NZ and UK looking for work and found 50:50 split between people who find it interesting and want to apply and people for whom it is not their cup of tea. There is little point in discussing future jobs with DM if people don't at least check and find out whether they would be interested in working here.

Also, I mentioned recruitment to Ray more for his information and didn't intend to have it passed around the globe as a money making scheme for me. In fact, I am unlikely to suggest people putting my name on cover letters for me to get £1000 when I don't know them, instead I'd suggest they talk to HR (as they HAVE to do according to business practice here) and just apply as per any other grad. The -only- time I would really suggest someone put my name on the cover letter is if I 1) know them, 2) spent significant time talking and chatting to them and feel I can vouch for their character. When I first found out about DM I was a graduate in NZ and didn't even know companies like DM existed, especially one that has recruits from as diverse fields as Fighter Aircraft Engineering MAs to post-grad Latin and Greek working side-by-side. I thought it would be useful for Ray to know when we've got a strong demand for recruits so he can suggest the company to other grads hungry for work.

As for my job, which you asked about. According to dictionary.com an analyst is 'one who analyzes' and 'analysis' is

"A resolution of anything, whether an object of the senses or of the intellect, into its constituent or original elements; an examination of the component parts of a subject, each separately, as the words which compose a sentence, the tones of a tune, or the simple propositions which enter into an argument."

This pretty accurately describes my job. As a technology analyst in the games market I look at the games/entertainment market and research and write about it. For samples of the sort of markets DM analyses, please see the web site. As the company works in many markets it is impossible to adequately describe all the possible roles a candidate could end up applying for.

I apologize if I was terse in my first email, I have a lot of work on and don't know yourself or Allen. I hoped you would check the web site and if you thought the opportunities the company offers appropriate to talk to your students and our HR department and take it from there. I don't need to be involved and don't see it as appropriate for me to be involved with the applications of people I've never met and don't know. I still invite you to do this and wish your students the best of luck.

Peter

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 11:05 AM

To: ptyson@datamonitor.com

Subject: Re: Hi -- tell me what you do and what positions are available

Thanks but that's not the sort of information I was looking for...Ray

forwarded me your email (as you are looking to get recruitment bonuses of

1000 GBP). I'm very committed to helping my postgrad students find positions

that will satisfy them, but had expected you to be a but more forthcoming and

generous with information, giving that you're soliciting CVs. A referral to

a website is certainly not on. Best of luck, Lydia

This message has been checked for all known viruses through the MessageLabs Virus Control Center.

Hi there

i work as an analyst with a company called Datamonitor.

Best to read about the company www.datamonitor.com

if you want to chase up leads for your students, try krae@datamonitor.com and ask what positions are available.

Analysts are widely recruited from just about any field. People have to be smart, have strong analytical skills and hopefully some form of business experience

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 10:32 AM

To: ptyson@datamonitor.com

Subject: Hi -- tell me what you do and what positions are available

I'm a lecturer in London and Dublin so have lots of students in jobsearch

right now.

Ray is an old acquaintance from when I was at Booz, Allen a number of years

ago. Thanks. Lydia

I thought it was a good 8/10. Anyone else got a good sample?

Peng has made me what I am today redface.gif

PeterNZ

------------------

"What do I care, I got laid last week" - Chupacabra

"Bjorn again are really quite good!" - Germanboy

- Official owner of the sig files of Dalem and Croda -

Glad to see that the Mutha' Beautiful Thread has reached the shores of Blighty, my second home and demesnes of my In-Laws of Madness. I can think of no better place to site a Cesspool. One could put it any urban center from Land's End to John O'Groats and no one would bat an eye; some might even think it urban renewal.

Consider this a fly-by post. Those of you in Philadelphia, however, might have an easier time visualizing it as a drive-by post. As others have mentioned, I am immersed in Real Lifeâ„¢ and have gone many days without even booting up Combat Mission, much less firing up the extraordinarily small number of neurons it takes to defeat my "opponents". Even so, I want you all to know that deep, deep in my heart, I hate, loathe, despise, revile, and detest you all. Except for Joe Shaw, of course. For making reference to the single most perfect character in English literature, the ultimate gentleman's gentleman, I am willing to knock off the reviling, just for Joe.

The rest of you may die a lot now and all your base is belong to me.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

And, we have a newcomer folks. Joe Shaw, who is obviously available to further add to the angst of the outer Croda by using him as the butt of jokes, is obviously not available to take what is coming to him in our current game and is therefore awarded his rookie 1Â¥.
You Communist swine! Not only did I receive your ORIGINAL turn, to which I promptly responded with a turn (and not just ANY turn but a far BETTER turn than I was given), but I also received your FOLLOW UP to the turn in which you slanderously claimed that I had NOT responded. I then RESENT my (BETTER) turn yet again, thus wasting precious bandwidth. But am I to be granted the boon of a turn in reply? NO! I am in fact pilloried unjustly in this public forum and awarded a penalty point. It is not to be borne! I DEMAND that you withdraw the penalty point, award it to yourself and penalize yourself with 2 additional points for your stupidity! I have responded ... YET AGAIN ... with the file I have previously sent twice before. Perhaps you might check your machine for ... I don't know ... sand or stray camel droppings!

Joe

------------------

I heartily admit you are a swine, Joe. But you are OUR swine. (Goanna)

Goanna, be advised that I have just this instant sent the turn referred to above to BOTH of your email addresses. I show one at {pdo.co.om} which looks really weird but who am I to question your choice of ISP and another at {bigpond.com} which sounds prissy beyond belief. Kindly do me the favor of ACTUALLY checking your email this time and then responding as to receipt/non-receipt as I am anxious to destroy you in detail.

Joe

------------------

Guest Wildman

All hail Lorak, keeper of the tomb,

Grab your peacock quill and scribe thusly,

Wildman-WIN

GITom-Loss

'Twas a great fight in the woods. My grand truppen, equipped with enough of the new PUMAs to give them a real field test and outstanding tactical leadership by yours truly, did spank said Lower Intestinal Tom soundly and with great hatred. His Churchills were promptly dealt with by my venerable PzIVJs and a brave schrek that had to bounce two shots off of the front plate before making a kill. Although GITom obviously brought enough Artillery to satify a Corp, his inept use provided him with no advantage and counter-balanced the awful performance of the PUMAs.

As for other games:

Croda has had his Hetzer immasculated, his StugIII destroyed and copious amounts of HE delivered to his poor German shmucks. His topplement is soon at hand, in fact, I'll bet the BTS' code it close to auto-surrendering him. Its ugly, I mean REALLY ugly. Isn't that nice.

Berli callously destroyed a split squad in the middle of the street, and was quickly returned in kind by around seven squads and a tank. Can you say overwatch? I'm in the middle of the town, and all his troops are doing is RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY. I can only assume that he has lost his manhood somewhere on the other side of the map and is sending his troops to find it.

Ratboy is hiding behind the woods now that it is an even fight. Don't worry Rattie, I'll come looking for you.

For all my pretentious gits who are currently dieing at my hand. The USAF is sending my happy ass to Las Vegas for two weeks to conduct a NIGHT FLAG exercise. I should have email access and my computer, but file returns will be a bit slower. Not that I care what you think, however, savor this time of non-violence as your topplements are at hand.

---

So while I can tell stories about Little Round Top

and Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Indeed Croda? Perhaps you can take a moment to explain to the group the significance of "The Devil's Den Sharpshooter" of Gettysburg fame? Let us see if the Inner, Outer or Middle Croda is as informed as he supposes himself to be? Anyone who didn't know of Lord Raglan ... well ...

Joe

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joe Shaw (edited 03-01-2001).]

Peter, that's...umm...really nice. I like how you berated someone you've never met, you senseless ape. Wait a sec...

Good work! To be truthful I think you over-reacted and freaked out for no reason, but I don't really give a damn.

As for wild-boy, Armor gone, yes. Close to auto-surrendering, no. This one's going to last a while.

------------------

Woot! - Maximus2k

The New CessPool