What AFV are you looking forward to in CM2?

Maybe not AFVs but the dreaded Katyushas would really be a BLAST on the Easten Front.

/Peter

------------------

"Weisung Nr. 1

für die Kriegführung.

1.) Nachdem alle politischen Möglichkeiten erschöpft sind, um auf frielichem Wege eine für Deutschland unerträgliche Lage an seiner Ostgrenze zu beseitigen, habe ich mich zur gewaltsamen Lösung entschlossen."

Adolf Hitler

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Firefly:

I must be the only one looking forward to playing with the humble T-34 smile.gif .

Fear thee not valiant Firefly. Methinks said honourable T-34 wouldst make most pleasurable encounters with the Teutonic foe!

( redface.gif hehehe smile.gif)

------------------

"I have slipped the

surly bonds of earth...."

Guest Rollstoy

Dear KwazyDog!

Will the polygon count on the German vehicles be increased? Or the texture size? How will they differ from CM1 models?

Regards, Thomm

I'm looking forward to seeing at least one multi-turreted Russian tank in CM2. The most likely candidate would be the T-28. It had three turrets; the main turret had a short 76.2mm while the two secondary turrets had MG's. The T-28 entered service in 1933 and was used in the war with Finland in 1940. It was discovered that the thin armour (10-30mm) was easily penetrated by Finish AT gunners. Applique armour was added increasing it to 10-80mm. The new model was designated the T-28E. Total production of T-28's (1933-1940) was around 600.

View?u=1304366&a=9680208&p=38966890

Another tank I'm looking forward to seeing in CM2 is the JS-2 (aka IS-2), and in particular the m model with the thicker turret armour (160mm). It carried a 122mm main gun which packed 3.5 times more kinetic energy than a 76.2mm. In the unlikely event that the round failed to penetrate the force of the impact and the explosion of the HE filler was enough to blow the turret off of any tank. The JS-2 entered service in April 1944.

View?u=1304366&a=9680208&p=41092258

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Guest Mikey D

Against my better judgement:

KV2

Though the Brumbar would give me a lot of 'bang for the buck' as well!

I can't imagine how Bigtime Software is going to construct all the necessary vehicles for a game that stretches from Barbarossa to Berlin!

...or will they to start that early? Perhaps it'll start circa 1943... 'COMBAT MISSION: Kursk and Beyond!" Does anybody know for certain?

Originally posted by sturmtiger101:

Warmaker mentioned Sturmtigers but according to all my reading on the subject, Sturmorser Tiger, aka Sturmtiger, were only employed by Sturmorser Ko. 1001 and 1002, and then only on the western front. 8 or so per Kompanie. If these vehicles are not in CM1, then how can they justifiably be included in CM2?

A prototype Sturmtiger participated in the German attempt to contain the Polish Home Army's Uprising in Warsaw beginning on August 13, 1944. After its successful debut it was returned to Germany on August 28. This Sturmtiger saw action in Starowka and Mokotow districts of the city. One of the rounds, which failed to explode, is on display in the Wojska Polskiego Museum in Warsaw.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Snake Eyes (edited 02-16-2001).]

My personal favorite is the KV 2, I know tigers and such will ripp it a new butt, but I like it. I am also in favor of the Su-152.

The other, which I really hope is modeled, is the elephant. Sure it was slow, but it was a great long range killer.

*Yes they are all heavies biggrin.gif

Armornut

[This message has been edited by armornut (edited 02-16-2001).]

Originally posted by Gremlin:

Brummbär, Sturmtiger

I know this has been mentioned before, but including the Sturmtiger seems to be a fairly low priority, particularly if its inclusion comes at the expense of not including other, more common and useful types (ie BT series, T28, SdKfz 221,222,232, etc.) I know everyone loves their Uber tanks, but the appeal of including an AFV that has a rate of fire of one round every 10 or 15 turns is lost on me. Maybe BTS has the time and resources to create everyone's favorite AFV for CM2, but if they don't, I hope they work on other stuff before the Sturmtiger.

------------------

Later, Dave

Originally posted by Sgt Fred:

Maybe BTS has the time and resources to create everyone's favorite AFV for CM2, but if they don't, I hope they work on other stuff before the Sturmtiger.

BTS probably won't have enough time and resources to include all the rare vehicle types in CM2. However, they have shown a willingness to include a few rare vehicles in CMBO and I suspect they will do the same in future releases.

------------------

Gotta agree with some other posters that the early war battles will be intriguing. The tables will turn for the Germans as they field Mk II, Mk III, Mk IV with the short 75, and Pz38t and run into some surprises in the form of T-34 and KV series beasts. I'm very curious to see how 1-man and 2-man turrets are modeled, as well as radioless afvs. Would you rather have better armor and a bigger gun or a loader and a radio?

And of course no infantry shaped charge AT capacity...swap those PFs, zooks, PIATs and Schrecks for anti-tank rifles and molotov cocktails.

Later in the war, I can't even imagine the impact of those 122 and 152 guns. Stay out of the buildings...

Not so fast Vergeltungswaffe, you gotta friend in the Panzer III fan club business.

A raging, swirling battle of BTs and Pzr IIIs...ah, yes the stuff of dreams.

On the flipside, I also anxiously await getting my hands on the ISU152. In fact, I can't wait until I just hear that beast fire!

Most folks know about these sites, but for some info on Russian tanks, try:

Red Steel

Russian Military Zone

Obviously everyone would like to see BTS put as may different vehicles and variations in the game as humanly possible, including lend-lease stuff and captured vehicles (SU-76i (a modified StuG III), T-34 737®, etc.).

And I would like to add one other request: a bit better identification of the guns on various units. As someone who isn't a student of WWII history (but has been trying to do some homework), I'd like to be able to figure out which gun CM is referring to on which vehicle/unit. The numerous 76mm Russian guns, for example. It ain't easy to tell 'em apart. frown.gif L-10, L-11, F-34, F-22, ZiZ-2, ZiS-3, L/16, L/30.5, L/41.5, L/55, M02/30, M1938, M1942. Yeesh. Many of these are different, but some refer to the same gun. The various sources I've looked at aren't always clear in what gun they're referring to.

And IDing all the German tank guns (KwK##) would be nice too. I'm still not sure if the 20mm gun mounted on the Lynx is a modified Flak38 L/112.5 or not.

Does anyone know of a good reference for lend-lease and captured stuff? I haven't picked up the Red Army Handbook yet. Does this book have info on them?

Thanks.

- Chris

Originally posted by Warmaker:

Are the maps gonna be much bigger in CM2 BTW? Those steppes are quite vast...

Yes, but you realise that much of Russia was flat in the area of most fighting. Every bit of footage I've seen of the Eastern Front has been on very large and vast flat lands. Even Moscow is dead flat.

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Looks like JAZZA and I are the only Pzkw III lovers. Both the L/42 50mm and the L/60 50mm versions. A truly beautiful and functional little tank. I'll finally have a German tank with a fast turret, lol.

Hey now! You've got another fan of the MkIII here guys. This tank is most impressive to me, I like all its variants and constant upgrades. For its era it was actually a well rounded and reliable weapons system. British, French and Soviet tank models may have had better guns or thicker armor, but it was this vehicles combination of 3 man turret, radio, excellent optics and the tactics of combined arms operations that (usually) persevered. IMHO it was this vehicle that provided the most bang for the buck for the Panzerwaffe. Supported by the MkIV, II and 35t & 38t, it was with this tank that most of Germany's strategic successes were won - France 1940, Balkans 1941, Barbarrossa, 1942 campaigns in southern Ukraine and Russia, North Africa 1941 - 42. the MkV and VI as well as the long barreled MkIV are certainly powerful and achieved some enduring tactical success but it was the MkIII that had more impact earlier in the war when the victories were won.

Anyway, can you tell I'm looking forward to CM2?

Cheers,

Sturmtiger

Originally posted by Snake Eyes:

A prototype Sturmtiger participated in the German attempt to contain the Polish Home Army's Uprising in Warsaw beginning on August 13, 1944. After its successful debut it was returned to Germany on August 28. This Sturmtiger saw action in Starowka and Mokotow districts of the city. One of the rounds, which failed to explode, is on display in the Wojska Polskiego Museum in Warsaw.

Snake Eyes,

Thanks for the reply, that was something of the Sturmtigers history that I didn't know. Very interesting indeed! My question still stands however, on the inclusion of a sturmorser in CM2. Just doesn't seem practical, though I agree it would be very very cool. My main argument against is the numbers involved, 1? during the whole of the eastern front conflict? At least a whole battalion of Sturmpanzer IV 'Brummbar' were employed on the western front in 1944, the 217th Sturmpanzer, and yet they were not represented in CM. This may be an old topic though and I apologize if this comes off as a gripe - it isn't. eek.gif

Regards,

Sturmtiger

------------------

" They're acting as if they have already won the war! " B. Woll

" We will prove them wrong. " M. Whitman

Guest Michael emrys

What I'm looking forward to is driving deep into the enemy's rear and messing with his logistic zones.

Battles in Beloruss, 1941 and 1944!

Michael

Guest KwazyDog

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Will the polygon count on the German vehicles be increased? Or the texture size? How will they differ from CM1 models?

Hi Thomm,

Yes, we will be both increasing the texture size for models in CM2 and lifting the amount of polygons a little. This will allow us to put in a extra details such as exhaust, hull mg positions, fuel tanks, etc. smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by Maximus:

Yes, but you realise that much of Russia was flat in the area of most fighting. Every bit of footage I've seen of the Eastern Front has been on very large and vast flat lands. Even Moscow is dead flat.

I do realize that alot of the Eastern Front will be vast and flat from the many WWII photography and accounts that I've seen. It's just that this is gonna be an important factor for German guns where the full potential of the 75 and 88's will be realized. I've read many accounts where German gunners frequently engaged targets 1000m+ and with successful kills using the 75/88mm guns(wish I remember the KwK/L terminology too). This is also important to hopefully even the odds a little when dealing with the inevitable mid-late war Soviet numerical superiority. It'll also give me the chance for more heroics with my Tiger crews to stave off those relentless T-34s. You can't imagine the anticipation I have to deal with some real armored opposition instead of soda cans.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Guest MantaRay

Kwazy, man, if you and Matt dont get on your knees everyday and thank god for your job.......... smile.gif

And tell Charles to keep his face in the monitor, and stay out of the way, or else. biggrin.gif

Seriously, I hope you can post it, looking forward to it.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

I would be looking for the modeling and use of the Anti-tank rifles. The use (and effectiveness)of the Western lend-lease equipment--perhaps see a Grant tank in operation!

Other items of interest-different types of fortifications, pontoon bridges and of course

Roumanian and Italian equipment.

Decent molotov cocktails & command denonated engineering charges.

Not to forget all the Soviet artillery in the anti-tank role.

Plus Russian buildings

AFVs: the Panzer IV F and the Brummbar and Ferdinand. For the Soviets the KV-1, the T-26 light tank, and the KV-2. What am I looking forward to modding? Everything biggrin.gif

Can't wait to see Molotov cocktails as well. BTS is going to have to make the sound just right: the breaking of the glass/ceramic on the target and then the light "fwoosh" as the flammable liquid ignites.

Kwazydog, what program are you using to model the tanks? Studio Max 3d?

thanks,

Tiger