Puchpen things : dang ~

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Most students cannot get humilated, I have some great students.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little humiliation is not a bad thing.

Slightly related:

A friend's husband and I were chatting a couple of years ago. He's been a high school physics teacher for about 15 years. We were yakking about little physics things like geeks do and I let slip that I had taught myself how to use a slide rule when I was a wee lad (I'm a whole 34 now). He stopped me and said "that's interesting given your age - may I ask why you did that to yourself?" I told him that my father, an engineer, had made me feel a little stupid one day for relying on an electronic calculator when I was in 7th grade and asked me why I didn't learn how to use the old slide rule he'd given me years before. So I got peeved and went up to my room and taught myself to do basic arithmetic functions using the damned thing.

My friends husband smiled and said "Ahh, that's what a little shame will do for you. Sadly, they don't have that anymore."

-dale

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Haskayne<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have to give it to you, Jasper Maskelyne is really his name, and he once made the Suez Canal disapeer, and cause a flight of several hundred German bombers to bomb a patch of sand instead of Alexandria/

Oh ick, just read the whole thread. Sorry Slapdragon -thought that was thrown out for general consumption.

Doesn't threatening another poster with physical violence count as grounds for banning? Not that you've never heard that before, Slap, but do you think he really has pimples?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nahh, I don't think he has pimples. And somehow, although threats of violence are wrong on the forum, I just cannot seem to muster up much more than indifference. knowing its just a show, and that he is an old timer that probably does not mean what he is saying goes a long way.

Like I said, when you get spit on and cursed by a guy who has beaten his kids senseless, there is no benefit to getting yoru wacks in no matter how satisfying it would feel. He is the guy in chains, and he is going to county; he will be crapping is an uncleaned toilet bowl as people argue who he will go sissy for. While at the same time I will return to my wife and sleep in a nice bed after eating a nice meal.

Shrad no doubt did not mean to threaten physical violence, and if I really thgought he did, then things would be different.

We have to give it to you, Jasper Maskelyne is really his name, and he once made the Suez Canal disapeer, and cause a flight of several hundred German bombers to bomb a patch of sand instead of Alexandria/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the book around here somewhere, of course you are right. I thought there was a movie in the works about him, also - but then again, COMBAT and SGT ROCK were "in the works" too...

I have the book around here somewhere, of course you are right. I thought there was a movie in the works about him, also - but then again, COMBAT and SGT ROCK were "in the works" too...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never heard about the movie, but depending on who is the director, it could be good.

How about this as a way to take our minds off of world events.

I will write a truely tough WW2 history quiz. No ultra obscure idiot trivia (like how many road wheels on a Char B) but very tough questions you might find in one of my history classes. I will post the questions on Friday. The first person with the most questions correct who e-mails me after the sign up period is over, and I will buy them a copy of CM:BB (and ship it to them unless they live someplace mail costs 50 bucks, like Maine).

Anyone interested in a little contest to pick up spirits?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Count me in - but please announce about what time (and what time zone) you will post the quiz -- otherwise, those of us who have jobs will probably not see it until several hours after it gets out.

MrSpkr

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Count me in - but please announce about what time (and what time zone) you will post the quiz -- otherwise, those of us who have jobs will probably not see it until several hours after it gets out.

MrSpkr<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I certianly will. I am forumlating the questions, and will likely post the quizz monday with a 48 hour limit for submissions. I will also probably start a signup list to get a group of contestants together.

Let me hone the questions.

Would it be too much to ask that you test the questions out on google first - to see how easily they are referenced on the internet? :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe me, these are from one of my advanced history classes. I used WW2 just as the spring to teach research methods.

Like I said, nothing outright stupid. Some questions will seem easier to some people than others depending on what country you are from. But tough questions none the less of several different types, from the obscure "what was the first..." to the complex who was...

most students cannot get humilated, I have some great students.

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: Slapdragon ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What classes do you teach? Cooking? Cleaning? Romance Lit? French? HAHAHAHAHA

Just Pulling your leg one teacher to another! tongue.gif

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Tread Head ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tread Head:

What classes do you teach? Cooking? Cleaning? Romance Lit? French? HAHAHAHAHA

Just Pulling your leg one teacher to another! tongue.gif

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Tread Head ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Female Sex Education.

Seriously, I teach history, social science research, and communications theory.

Agreed. I see now where he stands on things. It is just my nature to stand up where I feel people were wronged, although sometimes I may have jumped the gun. If you want I will retract previous statements but, I would rather keep them up for all to see. I rarely am ashamed of things I say because I usually mean them. I do however see your point on Cauldron and will cease to assist someone who doesn't have the common sense to stand up for themselves or to take a stand when someone is for them. It was confirmed when I saw he started another thread, if only to incite people into another flame.

Make no mistake though, I am not some common criminal without an education. I am passionate about many things and I hope you are not referring to me in your post about kid beaters. That would be beyond the line. I don't think you are but, one never knows. Anyway, peace and good luck in your competition. Maybe you should start another thread instead of wallowing in the filth that I helped create.

von shrad

Oh, I forgot an important part. I am sorry. I know we have exchanged a few e-mails since it started, all in good taste but, I was public with my rant and am big enough to be public with an apology.

Sorry Slappy. I was wrong for taking the approach I did.

As you were. Nothing to see here you looky-Loo's.

von shrad

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: von shrad ]

What I want to know is how Jason C finds the time to post these mini-thesis's of his? And by the way, despite having taken the piss out of you in the past your post was most impressive and informative. So when people like me from time to time get stuck into you, please perservere as I'm sure there are plenty out there that do appreciate your labour of love. smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von shrad:

Oh, I forgot an important part. I am sorry. I know we have exchanged a few e-mails since it started, all in good taste but, I was public with my rant and am big enough to be public with an apology.

Sorry Slappy. I was wrong for taking the approach I did.

As you were. Nothing to see here you looky-Loo's.

von shrad

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: von shrad ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I told Shrad never to come into Richland County if he knew what was good for him....

JUST A JOKE!!!!!

Like I said earlier, Shrad had good intentions and I did not bother to post my reasons. We worked it out off line, and Shrad has now come forward and did what he need not have done (since he really was not wrong).

I think Shrad deserves a round of applause.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

And also deputy sheriff ? Do you put aside your gun when in class ? :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am never ever without my gun, and there are damn few times when I set aside my service weapon, but I am just a reserve deputy so I do not get paid and have a regular day job.

Pupchens: let's go shopping. Gee, a Conscript Puppchen costs you.... all of 16 points. Gee, you could have 9 of them on a hillside to take out a Churchill. Might work (in fact, might work every time).

Wonder if any bunch of conscripts was ever issued with 9 Puppchens?

I think one of Combat Mission's main problems is what happens down at the shopping mall. Some canny shoppers can come up with truly appalling combinations that never occurred in history, and which are very hard to beat within the gaming system.

16 points for a conscript Puppchen? When I go down to the local supermarket, there are signs saying "limit of 4": How about the same for gamers who shop exclusively down at the bargain basement end of the spectrum?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

How about this as a way to take our minds off of world events.

I will write a truely tough WW2 history quiz. No ultra obscure idiot trivia (like how many road wheels on a Char B) but very tough questions you might find in one of my history classes. I will post the questions on Friday. The first person with the most questions correct who e-mails me after the sign up period is over, and I will buy them a copy of CM:BB (and ship it to them unless they live someplace mail costs 50 bucks, like Maine).

Anyone interested in a little contest to pick up spirits?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... I am sure i cannot compete with the other guys participating (mainly grognards i guess) but hell, i would like to give it a try and sign up for that quiz too ;)

Who knows, maybe Lady Luck throws me some kisses .... (guess i would need quite some kisses :D )