will there be a CM3

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Will Nubian anti-tank camels be included? <hr></blockquote>

Only the mine-camels. That's where the Russians got the idea for mine-dogs.

The camels didn't work as well, because they are very easy to spot. (The second hump gave them away)

Gyrene

wait!

when is CM II the engine re-write of the ETO going to happen?

Within CM3 of after it?

I'm very keen to see all the NEW features in CMBB intorduced into the ETO post day in a re-write of the current engine.

I thought they were considering CM II (major engine re-write after CMBB???

comments?

-tom w

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

wait!

when is CM II the engine re-write of the ETO going to happen?

Within CM3 of after it?<hr></blockquote>

Originally, it was to be done after CM3. However, in recent months BTS has been hedging on that, saying it may be after CM2. I don't think they know yet themselves.

Is it possible that BTS will begin to develop the new engine after CM2 is done, but that CM3 will still be released with the current engine?

BTS corporate HQ could order the R&D division to begin working on the new engine while another division continues with CM3 based on the current engine. smile.gif

I think what Tom means with ETO (European Theatre of Operations) rewrite, is a rewrite of Beyond Overlord (he's one of those funny foreigners who have funny definitions about the West Front 1944-45 smile.gif;) ).

Anyway, I don't think BTS has stated anything exact about that yet. They are going to make CM: Beyond Tobruk and CM: Beyond Poland, and then maybe a revised CM:BO, but they might just as well retire and buy a peaceful retreat deep in the Himalayas.

Does someone know if anything about Balkans is going to make it into CM3? I fear it will be dumped altogether, because the Mediterranean theater is so large already, and the early war just as well.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Sergei ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

The camels didn't work as well, because they are very easy to spot. (The second hump gave them away)

<hr></blockquote>

...and made getting under the tank a bit tricky (although amusing to watch).

Paul

Thanks Wolfe, it seems that they will include Greece. I must commend their daringness for taking up such huge tasks. If even just one year of action with US, Brit, Canuck, French, Polish and German armies involved half a year of updating, it makes you wonder what they will face with CM2, CM3 and CM4 which are far larger on scope.

And yeah, "early war" doesn't equate with "puny tanks". In general they are less heavy and many can be penetrated by an AT-rifle, but still, just play Steel Panthers with 1939 armies and you'll notice that there are some which are less vulnerable (of course the 88 mortalizes them). I think it's just good to have more infantry-centric fighting.

Yes, Andy, but that desert rats "version" ("mod" would be more correct) is "merely" changing the graphics (and boy, it sure looks good!). A "real" desert version however will have all the tank data, TO&Es etc. coded in, not to forget that an "open grass" terrain tile, although it has been modded to look like sand, is still treated as open grass by the game engine.

And as has been mentioned, CM3 is not only about the desert war. But I'm sure that it will do it much better than the current system - CMBO engine is not very apt for the desert. Borg spotting, etc.

Besides, how could there be fighting in the desert without Italians??? I think they're gonna rock in PBEM!