Infantry vs AFVs?

This was posted by Madmatt in another thread. I want to get away from THAT thread, since this is somewhat different.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

On the battlefield, other than a abandoned crew or unarmed vehicles there are NO non-threatening units. Every infantry unit including HQ's have the ability to kill ANY tank. How are those NOT threatening?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I've had squads and HQ units behind AFVs and on the sides, less than 20-30 m. Sometimes much closer.

The only time I've seen infantry take out an AFV was if the squad had AT ability (like PF).

US units don't have PF, and I've never seen them take out an AFV. So, what is Madmatt talking about? Can a HQ unit take out a Tiger, or Churchill?

Thanks in advance!

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Sure it's possible. Get withing 30 meters and they TRY.

(Shown as tossing grenades.)

Immobilization is often easy to achieve, killing is harder.

German tanks are hard to take out, the nachtweffelwiffelwaffe is murder. smile.gif

(forgot to include the "waffe" in the name of german near-defense weapon)

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 01-11-2001).]

I don't recall Allied squads, but a couple of days ago, I took out a Jumbo with a German Pioneer squad while it and another jumbo were firing at the squad with everything they had; of course the infantry were armed with Panzerfausts, which no doubt helped first to immobilize the Jumbo, then to kill it.

Henri

Ive had us inf. squads take out german tanks

closed top real tanks.....

the last one was an ambush that the us squad

threw satchel charge did nothing

tank drove down road came back

same squad throws 1 gammon bomb shocks tank?

(fog of war on)

tank sits there the squad then throws 3-5 grenades last one takes out tank

------------------

Berlin calling, Berlin calling,

when Berlin calls it pays to listen.....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

Yes, Open top I've seen, but closed tops, and heavies, no way.

Let's keep this to closed tops. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I one battle I had two squads of Regular American Infantry assault a Panther tank and they managed to destroy it.

------------------

Navare

"I am determined to prove a villian..."

Yep, that nachtelwriffer thing is quite effective. First time I saw it work, I thought for sure I was being shelled by some mortars, or I had got my own too close to my tank.

Henri, and Pioneers often have those satchel/demo charge things too don't they? It has got to be quite a feat to take out a tank (closed turret) with just hand weapons. Didn't they lock up those hatches?

I think it can in real life be done (if the tank is unsupported) simply with grenades down the engine cooling fins or roll a grenade down the main weapon tube. We are talking here about brave/foolhearty/desperate men crawling ALL over the damn tank stuffing grenades anywhere they can.

AND engineers ?! Watch out, they blow up tanks REAL good!

its not that hard if you get an HQ unit and a squad in command radius to sneak from the back side get right into the same "game space" as the tank, if they are not hurried and not shot at they will try to take the tank out until it moves away or blows up or they run out of ammo.

I think close assaulting tanks and blowing them up is one of the BEST parts of this game, mostly because it is DARN hard to get in the right position or situation to do pull it off.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I think close assaulting tanks and blowing them up is one of the BEST parts of this game, mostly because it is DARN hard to get in the right position or situation to do pull it off.

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got that right. I'm glad the capability is there -- keeps you playing even when all your armor's been taken out by turn 2. Not that it's ever happened to ME, of course smile.gif

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

-Bertrand Russell

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

...mostly because it is DARN hard to get in the right position or situation to do pull it off.

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. I am not usually trying to get that sort of a situation, so for it to happen by pure chance is I suppose quite improbable.

Hi,

My $.02:

I've played as the germans and had an immobilised Panther "assaulted" by US Squads (don't know if they were engineers or not).

In the 3D environment, it looks like they're throwing grenades - I guess this is the games way communicating a "close assault" (I think ASL has something like that too - the squad has to pass a PAATC?).

Regards,

- JRB

Certainly possible.

SPOILER SPACE

Playing the Marechal's Mill scenario from Wild Bill's pages my US Squads destroyed a King Tiger by close assault to win the scenario. The fog may have helped here, as did the fact that it was against the AI, but it was still good to see.

[This message has been edited by cyrano01 (edited 01-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cyrano01 (edited 01-11-2001).]

I've seen it happen. I was playing a QB featuring a tank-heavy German attack on a town held by US infantry. I lost a buttoned PzIVH and JPZ IV to infantry close assaults. After the US surrendered I discovered the US had had a 57 and a 76mm AT gun deployed behind the town, in positions from which they would have been unable to see my forces until my tanks were through the town and down the road.

DjB

Guest Madmatt

I think its around 20-25 meters that infantry (and HQ's) are within what the game considered "Close Assault" range. We only show this in the game by the little grenade animation sequence but it depicts just about every type of anti-social behavior you want to think of. Spiking the gun with grenades, damaging the suspension and roadgear, grenades down, under on and top of hatches, damage to the engine exhaust, potato in the tail pipe, muenster cheese on the exhaust manifold, Toilet Paper in the tree out front, ummm oh...Whoops...

Maybe some day we can have a better animation for all of this... wink.gif

Madmatt

I don't want to spoil the scenario for anyone by giving away the name, but in this scenario 4 tigers show up on the left flank as reserves. I had a full regular US infantry platoon stuck crossing some open ground when the tigers appeared right next to them, so the only alternative I had was basically to assault the 4 tigers (which showed up all next to each other). I fast-moved the infantry squads and HQ right next to the nearest tiger, and after throwing some grenades they managed to knock it out. Around one full squad was left at this point, and this squad managed to immobilize a second tiger whose crew shortly abandoned it. The 3rd tiger was taken out by a sherman as the tiger tried to face the closing infantry, and the 4th tiger blew up at the hands of a pershing.

The infantry squads weren't engineers - they could have had rifle grenades - but I'm not sure.

There has been many discussions before about infantry killing tanks.

TacAI determines if the squad/hq attempts to kill the tank within their LOS, sometime I think moral and experience of the squad determine the chance of making the attempt. If they have longer ranged weapons like faust, shreck, zook or rifle grenade, they may fire outside 25m range. Grenade are always used when the attempt is made within close combat range. To sum up Faust-equipped German squads are especially dangerous for tanks without infantry cover. Worse, if they got button-up or immobilized.

Pseronally, I have a buttoned-up Tiger I destroyed by a grenade tossed by a British HQ unit from the rear. I have sent waves of squad to attack a Churchill VII from different directions but all in vain. The Churchill is finally silenced when it is immobilized and then killed by a hidden faust, after scoring 40 infantry causalities.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

In attempting to recreate the so-called tank dance or twitching tank bug last night I was able to take out a King Tiger and immobilze a 2nd. The Tanks not ony did not do a unrealistic twitching like dance, they turned turret and then hull, and blasted a zook team off the map. In the same turn the 2 infantry squads revealed themselves from the side of the road where they were hiding and close asualted one of the tiger royals. It was eliminated at about the 55 second mark. The plattoon HQ, along with the 3rd squad close assualted the 2nd tank and disabled it in the first 15 seconds of the following turn.