How can the panzerfausts etc ..miss ?

Panzerfausts were not a precision guided munition by any sense of the word. They had a very slow velocity to begin with. Then factor in uneven manufacturing processes and sub-par materials in late war German industry, meaning rockets would burn unevenly and projectiles would be unbalanced. On top of that, those things were probably more terrifying to fire than to be shot at by. Not to mention the fact that you just announced your position and bullets will be flying at you any moment.

I wonder not why they missed, but why they hit.

WWB

Lots of reasons for misses. Fatigue, fright, momentarily taking cover when trigger is pulled, smoke, noise, hangover, the sight of the guy next to you getting his head blown off, hunger, thirst, constipation, sudden relief of constipation, sickness, shoddy equipment, lack of training, worried about whether he turned the coffee pot off, etc...

BTS takes all these things into calculations when the numbers are crunched.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kingfish:

Lots of reasons for misses. <hr></blockquote>

ROTFL

Don't forget: didn't get his relaxing hot bath that afternoon, missile deflected by low flying birds, the sun got in his eyes, he was actually aiming to miss cause he wanted to get captured alive, a kamrat shoved him right when he fired as a joke, the tank crew's stirfry wok was hanging on the side of the turret to dry and the round banged off that, and other flukes.

I agree with all of the above points and would ask that you remember the troops in WWII are not as trained profesionals troops you see today.

Today professional armies have years and years of training.

WWII those trained men had mostly (not all) been taken in combat and were spread thinly. Someone with more facts in their head will give the time in basic before being shipped to the front for the one the job training.

It would be like having yourself there after a brief period of training. I shut my eyes when using a blank firing pistol in a simulated combat situation where I can not possibly die.

If I could be killed I am not sure how I would hold it together.

Soldiers in WWII were like me and you, look around your work place and ask if your workmates would be any good fighting for their lives?

What CM and all the games model (or try to model) is nothing to the sheer terror of the situation we ask our pixels to fight through and demand to know why they fail.

H

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Holien:

Soldiers in WWII were like me and you, look around your work place and ask if your workmates would be any good fighting for their lives?

<hr></blockquote>

No way! We are flabby and soft. They were... they were...(splutter)... they were tougher somehow. They ate MARMITE for chrissakes.

<hr></blockquote>

*Looks around himself with puzzled amusement and then comes to a sudden realization*

My gawd, were doomed.

Jeff

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CMplayer:

No way! We are flabby and soft. They were... they were...(splutter)... they were tougher somehow. They ate MARMITE for chrissakes.<hr></blockquote>

Look don't go the Marmite route as the damn Aussies will bring out the vegimite. It is a good job they are asleep at the moment and will likely miss this thread.

So folks please move on nothing to eat here!!!

H

I shut my eyes when using a blank firing pistol in a simulated combat situation where I can not possibly die.

If I could be killed I am not sure how I would hold it together.

H<hr></blockquote>

You wuss. I bet you had the misses kill that mole for you. Too afraid to walk out in the backyard, are we?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kingfish:

You wuss. I bet you had the misses kill that mole for you. Too afraid to walk out in the backyard, are we?<hr></blockquote>

ROFL

Look some men are born fighters and some are born luvers....

I fall into the second category....

;)

So sod off and go and eat a fish or sumfink.....

H

Originally posted by wwb_99:

I wonder not why they missed, but why they hit.

Some ÃœberFinns scored first shot hits when firing their first ever Pzfausts while a buddy was reading the untranslated manual to him to guide him through the procedure of making it ready, aiming and firing it. ;)

Seriously: while the weapon was nondescript by modern standards the operating principle and the deployment procedure was extremely simple.

My beef with the hand held AT weapons in CM is the fact that they are too consistently unlucky in their first shot hits. IRL you would wait until you were 95% certain you can get a hit with the first shot. And have at least a sporting chance of getting out of the firing position. The way they are modelled now they expend all their shots during a single turn because they use maximum ROF as if they were artillery pieces. And they do not take heed of the tactical situation and they do not care if they make it out alive.

Sung to the appropriate tune...

"We're happy little Vegimites as bright as bright can be

We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast lunch & tea

Our mummies say we're getting stronger every single week

Because we love our Vegemite

We all enjoy our Vegemite

It puts a rose in every cheek."

This will no doubt go above most people's heads apart from the Aussies but I simply couldn't resist. That song has been drummed into generations of Australians & would be far better known than the words to our national anthem!

Regards

Jim R.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tero:

IRL you would wait until you were 95% certain you can get a hit with the first shot. And have at least a sporting chance of getting out of the firing position.<hr></blockquote>

The new 'firing arc' command should go a long way towards fixing this one, since it will amount to setting the engagement range.

Look don't go the Marmite route as the damn Aussies will bring out the vegimite. It is a good job they are asleep at the moment and will likely miss this thread.

So folks please move on nothing to eat here!!!

H<hr></blockquote>

Sorry bad news, This board remains open 24 hrs, and an Aussie just read it. smile.gif

I think the better question to ask in this is why don't the troops ever fire em. I mean just last week I had a full Volk platoon within 10 Yards of a sherman and the sherman jsut sat their fiting while the men sat back and watched their uddies get blown to bitz. and they were eating popcorn. FIRE DAMN IT FIRE!!!!!!!