Partisans

I was reading about why partisans are not modeled, but wouldn't it be better if we had some partisan unites to put on some of the create your own battles, like where they help press an attack etc. Especially in the east front version.

My main interest is that then we could have some WOMAN commanders, as i read there were some in France and Russia. Would that be so bad!? I'd even do the wav files. Whoo hoo!

P.S.

Incidentally, I was reading the other day the western allies had partisan units (what we would call terrorists) operation inside the S.U. into the early 60's.

P.P.S.

After all those e-mails i only have one demo game going, so can play one more.

---

"Snowpants are sexy!" http://www.geocities.com/wildhippychik/whp.htm

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a stretch to add partisans to CM2. Most partisan units were used as either operational razvedka(reconnaissance/intelligence), or for sabotage. Rarely were they used for combat purposes.

------------------

Best regards,

Greg Leon Guerrero

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Yeah Tankgirl, work on you computer art skills, grab one of those 3d art software things and redesign all of the troops in Amazons vs. Amazons. Even redesign the wav. files. I can see it now. TankGirrrls Total Conversion Amazon Mod.

When are you going to buy the full game?

Right on Skott, that guy was nuts.

CM2 without Partisans!!! It sounds like CM1 without US troops to me biggrin.gif!

You can simulate great Partisans/Resistance scenarii with CM... I'm actally testing in pbem "Plan Montagnard" a scenario about the combat in the Vercors mountains in France and it's really a different approach of tactical warfare!

On the East Front there were huge partisans units. You can't ignore them!

I think the last time this conversation drifted through the forum, it was revealed that the Finns were the major combatants with the war being decided in Lappland. Besides, the Partisans didn't have any training doctrines we can refer to. biggrin.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ales Dvorak:

Partisans=terrorists?

Germans burn down your house, kill your family and you became a terrorist! mad.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup thats history or definition from the people occupying your country, to them you are Terrorists.. to your country men/women you are freedom fighters

life sux don't it. wink.gif

Hi Ales,

Well, I'm sure the Germans thought of them that way. Weather they were or not depends on your POV, I guess. I agree with you, I don't think they were "terrorists". I was just merely commenting that we might call them terrorists if it suited us. Like we do with Hizbollah.

---

"Snowpants are sexy!" http://www.geocities.com/wildhippychik/whp.htm

Shouldn't it be possible to use the scenario builder, and normal troop types to simulate Partisans, for the most part? (Of course, any female voices, and some of the other stuff mentioned, would probably have to be MOD'd)

I remember when I and someone else were arguing for Rangers in CM, in the end most peoples opinion was to simply use a rifle platoon and call them Rangers. (Because, if I remember right, BTS said they were not used enough in what CM models to be worth modeling officially in the game)

There's probably no reason not to have female officers in CM2 even w/o partisans. IIRC, women served in combatant tank crews, although I don't know if there were any female TCs.

The recently aired History Channel doc on the East Front, featured an interview w/a formidable woman who had served in the NKVD as an interrogator. She rather blithely described torturing and then executing captives.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

Well, if civilian soldiers are to be modeled in any CM game, then CM2 should be it. Not necessarily for the Russian contingent, as, they rarely fought in anything other than platoon sized, and they usually just raided.

However, the Polish Home Army, which was more like a bunch of civilians given guns, would be modelable in CM. They fought large scale actions against Germans, sometimes with good effect, other times with poor effect. Fighting was much more intense than that between any French resistance group and German garrison/military forces.

Also, for CM3, representing the Serbian partisans would also have merit for a CM, large scale game.

The Poles, like the Serbians, fit into the CM model, about having prolonged action in large numbers in military-style combat.

Other than a few isolated incidents the French and Russian Partisans rarely did anything more than ambushes, which are only one action within a larger CM battle.

I could be horribly wrong though...

I support the idea of having Partisans in CM2. The fact of the matter is that on the EF Partisans frequently coordinated their attacks closely with Russian Army attacks.

For instance, during the 1941 Russian winter counter offensive there were several battles where partisans, parachutist, and calvarly all participated in the same battle simultaneously. Another example is during the 1944 Russian offensive "Bagration" partisans came out in force and wiped out whole units of retreating Germans. In Talonsoft's EF game I made such a scenario featuring retreating German units in swamps and dense woods being harassed and ambushed by partisans while they try to stuggle of the map edge.

Russian partisans were primarily composed of regular Russian Army troops who were cut off from the front. The Russians parachuted officers in to lead these groups.

Women participated in Russia at all levels of combat and several received the Hero of The Soviet Union medal, the equivalent of the Medal of Honor. There were female Russian snipers, tank crewmen, artillery people, bomber pilots, etc.

Tank girl, here are some links to excellent books about women participating in the Russian Army in WWII. Also check out "We Band of Angels" about U.S. Army women nurses in the Philippines.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089096601X/qid=979921601/sr=1-8/ref=sc_b_8/102-3833210-9020961

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0968270239/qid=979921601/sr=1-9/ref=sc_b_9/102-3833210-9020961

I read somewhere that on the Eastern Front, after the fighting had been going on for a while, surrenders became less frequent because each side knew how badly they would be treated by the other. Is such a generalization true?

I suppose that the added possibility of gang rape --which is what I suppose Bruno is so delicately and sensitively referring to -- makes this even more true for women.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

I suppose that the added possibility of gang rape --which is what I suppose Bruno is so delicately and sensitively referring to -- makes this even more true for women.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, don't expect to be safe from a gang rape only for being a male in a war like in Eastern Front.

Ariel

I, for one, think Partisans and irregular units have little or no role to play in CM2. While they were present in numbers on the eastern front, they knew better than to tangle with front line units. Even the best armed partisan group could not hope to come near matching a second-rate german unit in terms of firepower and especailly munitions. So it would be very rare for partisans to engage in the type of pitched battle which CM portrays so well.

One must remember that much of the Partisan's time was occupied by simple needs such as finding food and secure shelter. Russia is not the richest of countries, so food was often hard to come by for those who were being supplied at the front or in the factories., much less those hiding in forests. Come wintertime, foraging became much more difficult. This was excaberated by the lack of ground foliage during that season, dangerously exposing partisan encampments to reprisals. While on some levels gratifying, there would be little challenge in massacring a bunch of starved, underequipped bandits with a bunch of green German (or Rumanian, Hungarian, Slovak or Croatian) infantry.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.