AKoTM Version 2.0 !!! CONTINUE ALL UPDATES & AAR's HERE!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PondScum:

[QB]First blood in my game against/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More like first oil, with the Sherman going right off! And let's not forget the followup turn, where your ambushing squads were counter-ambushed smile.gif , and are now cowering, more than decimated.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PondScum

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aaronb:

And let's not forget the followup turn, where your ambushing squads were counter-ambushed smile.gif, and are now cowering, more than decimated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sigh, yes, my squads advancing to clean up the final survivors were themselves shot to pieces. It's been a vicious couple of minutes, and that's only on one flank. God knows what's going to happen around the flag, if either of us ever reach it smile.gif

Turn 1 almost complete between Texas Toast and myself...nope...no tcp.

The map is a maze of tall heavy buildings surrounding a central cathedral which is also the VL. Setup areas are on the corners of th maps, two for each player and which border on the opponent's setup zone. That means if you are (un?)lucky the two forces could be within sight of each other at turn #1 and start fighting immediately.

I must say that I planned mostly for TT to purchase British troops. The combination of PIATs, Fireflys, Crocodiles and adequate troops is hard to beat in a city setting. After turn 1 I see that TT has instead purchased the Americans and their resiliant 12 man squads. In the close-in fighting of buildings they can take quite a bit of punishment. Luckily I've put my trust into a Bn of Crack Fallschirmjagers (or did I? ;) ) and they should be able to handle the Americans. No fighting yet but I'm very close to his troops so the battle will be joined very soon.

Cheers

Murray

Gryene/mlapanzer:

Oops! redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

I can certainly fix or somfink...but the question is...how do you guys want to go about it?

Do I simply resend the file with the meeting engagement fixed?

Do you guys want to repurchase...

Do you want a differnt map?

Let me know.

Senor Beef...I am not at all surprised to see you in the 3rd round. You are an excellent, if not cocky player as evidenced my me first hand the other night. Bienvenidos al tercer redondo!

Please see updated bracket for details.

Harpooner

vs------------Winner

Treeburst155

1)

Pacestick

vs------------Winner

mPisi

====================

Speedy

vs------------Senor Beef

Senor Beef

2)

aaronb

vs------------Winner

Pondscum

====================

Gryene

vs------------Winner

boy_Recon

3)

labappel

vs------------Winner

Stoffel

====================

Sock Monkey

vs------------Winner

Mlapanzer

4)

Claymore

vs------------Winner

Texas Toast

====================

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: Iron Duke ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PondScum:

Rickets?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it wasn't rickets, we had adjoining setup areas, whereas he had plenty of cover and set up all his troops there, my cover was more limited and I only stuck half my troops there. Result I lost half my troops to little gain :mad:

Duke Sock Monkey and my game seems to have gotten off OK. He also set-up in his designated zones so we're off. No returns in yet from the first turn but by the size of the file I do beleive there was some ACTION.

-------

It's good to be at the top of the food chain.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Speedy:

No it wasn't rickets, we had adjoining setup areas, whereas he had plenty of cover and set up all his troops there, my cover was more limited and I only stuck half my troops there. Result I lost half my troops to little gain :mad:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a really painful loss, too. 3 platoons were down by the time the clock hit 0:01.. I had to take pictures tongue.gif

But, given that the game was pretty much decided at that point, I'm really impressed by the fact that speedy managed to inflict 180 casualties on me after that point with a much weaker infantry force. He did a great job of turning a potential total victory into a measly tactical victory, and really ruined my stylish victory tongue.gif

Looks like a battle of bird**** and idiots in purgatory in this one. Thats Paratroopers and Fallschirmjagers if you don't know the saying. :D First round a slight edge to Sock monkey who managed to get a Hellcat . It was to rich of a target environment for him. But Sock Monkey got bloodied also loosing alot of Fallschirm's. The really cool one was when my Jeep MG flew up from behind a squad and eliminated it. It looks to be a bloody fight in purgatory who will go up and who will go DOWN.

----------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Do I simply resend the file with the meeting engagement fixed?

Do you guys want to repurchase...

Do you want a differnt map?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Gyrene's away for a couple of days, so if i can take the liberty of answering for him I suggest you take whatever course is easiest for you and quickest so we can get this game rolling.

Ok boy_Recon, I resent the file to you with just the meeting engagement fixed. Sorry about that mate. You guys get extended Due Dates of course. Your due date is now: 25JUN01.

Hell...everybody gets a new Due Date! :D

New Due Date is 25JUN01.

TT and I have begun to exchange fire.

Well, not really. TT has applied a gamey mod to all of his men and their uniforms now appear as a "bricked pavement grey". They also will not come out of their houses and play in the streets with the rest of the children. A particularly antisocial lot has taken up refuge in the sanctuary of the VL church.

I am attempting to correct things by applying my own "red all over" or "black and blue" mod by filling the building he's in with 150mm HE.

And...except for a lovely dance done by my JagdPanther (when I inputed a waypoint in too difficult a position) I have not seen any great examples of armoured movement.

That's all for now.

Cheers

Murray

Update! update!update! Got me a Panther! got me a Panther! Revenge of the Hellcat! YE HAAAAH.!!! Funny thing is the AI told me it was a PZ4. If I would have know it was a Panther I probably would have never gone after it. HEHE!!

-------

Pacestick got off on the wrong foot with me by ambushing one of my innumerable platoons with his DUG IN infantry. We discussed asking a certain scenario designer for a corrected scenario (On Golden Pond), but after I whacked 2 StuGs and a Mk-IV with one AT gun, I figured I could let his secret use of the Uber-foxholendiggenmachinen slide this one time. He is also pouring on the puny 75mm artillery which is no match for my manly 105mm... Other than his burning hulks and the infantry firefight, not much going on...

My poor kitty! Mlapanzer will pay for that! Unfortuantely, Commissar, I'm playing the Germans who have subpar artillery, so Mlapanzer is going to be spared the WWI treatment.

To briefly describe the map, there's a medium-sized town in the middle that is almost completely on fire. Hills and forests surround it and our setup zones were in alternating corners, so firing started immediately on turn 1. I think for both of us our stronger setup attacked the weaker setup of the other guy, so we both control about half the board, making it almost like a normal setup, just pre-bloodied. Very chaotic, but a lot of fun.

Hey, I have a question... one of his cowardly American para teams surrendered on the very first turn before they so much as suffered a casualty. So now I'm sorta walking them around with some of my soldiers (hey, you'd better watch where you point that arty -- we have hostages! :D ) ... Anyway, he can't "see" with them, can he?

I don't blame them for surrendering. That paratrooper team was out of C&C and was attacked by a Panther and a whole plt. of fallschirms. They killed 3 Fallschirms before surrendering. They did there job they we're just acting as a tripwire and spy team.

The battle does seem to have settled down into more of a traditional meeting engagement after the initial flury of action.Going to be interesting to see how the battle goes when it gets into the town that looks like Mrs. O'leary's cow was there. :eek: . For those who don't understand that reference.It is tradition that that is how the great Chicago fire started.

--------

Hey guys,

for the next round...what say we change it up a little and have "random" picks? I do not mean Ai picks though, because 1 side will get screwed with 6 roadblocks. :rolleyes:, etc... And/Or we could get away from the meeting engagements and have Attack/Defend scenarios?

This way we can get into strategy und tactics a little more...now that we've had our fun that is. smile.gif

I don't know what you guys think about these last maps/setup zones, but I think they are fun...and they provide "out of element" type scenarios that will ensure a good mix of players moving on to the 3rd round.

What do you guys think?

Guest PondScum

I now understand why aaronb voted for unlimited 81mm spotters - my heavy weapons section has been under continuous mortar fire for six turns, for a grand total of one casualty. In the meantime they've been having great fun shooting up his infantry squads who are trying to run across the map in front of them. He's now given up on HE and is throwing smoke instead, presumably to cover the advance of that elite paratroop platoon that I noticed skulking around in the woods. Looks like things are about to get messy.

As for the next round, I'd have to vote "no" to randomization - the chances of getting screwed by a bad unit selection or a bad map to defend/attack are just too high. I like these symmetrical arrangements. How about doing mirrored attack/defend for the next AKOTM instead?

Pondscum...thank you for your input.

To the rest of you...come on! Let me hear what you have to say. Remember what happended with the 81mm FO's, only aaronb voted and that's what everyone else got stuck with. So let your opinion be known. Speak damnit, speak! :D

Out.

I hope to get my game with boy_Recon going soon, time has been tight the last couple of days (Writing from work).

I'd rather keep the pick-your-units format than to go with computer picked units or maybe Iron Duke could pick 2 balanced set-ups each for the Allies and the Axis and have some sort of random selection to see who gets what.

Gyrene

Stoffel...please explain further. I am not following you.

What I was meaning to say was that I would pick out 2 equall purchases and you guys have at it. If it where to be a defence/attack...then I would stick to the 1.5 X for the Attacker. And that could be Allied or Axis.

On my picks...I would attempt to stick to more historical picks than not.

I would be in favor of the "Duke-Pick" method. I get tired of selecting my own forces, and I don't really like trying to create mismatches with the force selections. I would rather not spend my valuable PBEM time on games that are lopsided from the start. Of course that doesn't hold me back from playing in crazy setups like this one! :D

Claymore and I are still in the sparring stages, my latest strategy involves setting up my units in positions where they will ROUT into the VL when subjected to his plentiful 150mm HE. I should have most of my infantry assembled there before too long. smile.gif

I agree with Charles (TT)...his troops are routing into the VL! Where's the REF! FOUL!

Otherwise I also like the idea of the GameMaster picking forces.

Hey Charles! I sent that last file hours ago! If you are on the computer where's my update! ;)

Cheers

Murray