no cd required?

Hi mom!

Why would you wanna do that anyway? The game doesn't/wouldn't run from the CD. It just does a CD check to launch the game. The only way to do what you want is to make a back-up copy with a burner just for your own use.

However, my CD has its share of scratches and stuff, but it still reads just fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YECoyote:

a lifetime of a CD is about 10 years. By the time the CD wears out, BTS will probably release CMXXX:Conquest of Earth. :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's more like 100 years for burned CDs. An unburned CD I think is more like 10 years before it needs to be burned. sunlight will damage a CD though.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

I think that's more like 100 years for burned CDs. An unburned CD I think is more like 10 years before it needs to be burned. sunlight will damage a CD though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sunlight!!?? :eek:

Just what is your CD doing seeing the light of day. It should be stored safely (and permanently) in the CD ROM drive just like mine. :cool:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fangorn:

You can legally have a copy for backup purpose only, you know. Personally, I've never seen a CD become damaged from use.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I made a backup copy for my own use back when a guy here had his CD-ROM go tits up and put a deep gouge in his CD which completely ruined it. Now my original sits in its case, to only be opened in an emergency. Perhaps I should store it in my fire safe...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

However, my CD has its share of scratches and stuff, but it still reads just fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, concerning the numerous scratches (actually it's the only CD I have that's scratched from 'overuse'), and it too still reads fine, but it won't let itsself copy to my HD or back-up. Bummer, that. I just know one of these days it'll just quit working. :(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WARHAMMER:

I'm just wondering if there is a way to save

the entire cm cd to the hard drive. So the

original cd won't become damaged??

Warhammer :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah there is a way. You dont need it in the hard drive then also. I dont think BTS wants people discussing here though.

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fangorn:

Personally, I've never seen a CD become damaged from use.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neither had I, until I checked my CM CD when I tried to back it up!

Shatter here

I am so paranoid of living without CM, that I burned 3 backups :eek:

I do own 2 PC's and ocassionally play myself in a battle, by going up and down the stairs each and every turn. So I do need 2 backups to do this.

CM in my oppinion is by far the best game ever, so I wanted to make sure I always have a copy. I figure with 3 backups and the orignal, their is absolutly no chance of ever doing without.

Ya I also buy beer in bulk.

Later

Shatter

I play CM on a Mac and used the program Disk Copy to make an IMG file (thats a disk image file) then ran an applescript that turned it into a SMI, or Self Mounting Image on my iBook's Hard Drive. This way I can play CM without needing the CD. I only do this to save power (HD taked much less power than CD) while running off battery. My CD is safely sitting in binder full of CDs. I made 1 burned copy as a backup.. it's in the binder as well.

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter:

I do own 2 PC's and ocassionally play myself in a battle, by going up and down the stairs each and every turn. So I do need 2 backups to do this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why aren't you using the hotseat option?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Ya I also buy beer in bulk. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nevermind, that explains it ;)

Karch, I also made an .img out of my cd, but I just use stuffit deluxe to mount the image when I need it. I did the same with many other games I play often. The mac's cd-sleep delay always drove me nuts, no such problem with disk images.

My CM disc is now safely away from my 5 year old daughter's hands. smile.gif

Gyrene

Why aren't you using the hotseat option?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------

I find it more enjoyable to play from seperate PC's. On the larger maps, like the maps I am not too familar with, you will second guess yourself as to where you opposing units are placed. This still makes it somewhat of a challenge.

I find when I play both side on a hotseat, that I always remember where the opposing units are placed.

Finally I have to seperate sets of mods in BMP folder, for each of my PCs and I enjoy the 2 seperate looks of CM on each of my PC.

So there it not because I am a drunk.

:D

Shatter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YECoyote:

a lifetime of a CD is about 10 years. By the time the CD wears out, BTS will probably release CMXXX:Conquest of Earth. :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess whom'ever conducted the CD lifespan study never figured in my children.

The lifespan of my CDs are as long as the kids a) arn't interested in makeing frisbee's out of them, or b)don't take an intrest in the game :D.....

Regards, John Waters

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter:

So there it not because I am a drunk.

:D Shatter<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, what you're saying is that even if you were sober you would do the same thing. Ok, I understand. No problem.

But, hey, be careful going down those stairs smile.gif

Is there any warrenty that BTS will replace the game if you show them the recipt or something? I never checked the warrenty (if there is such a thing) when I got CM in the mail. I was too busy practically ripping the house apart tearing up the stairs to play the game. :D

This is. Just tell them your circumstances and they will tell you whether they will replace it or not. ;) As in if you kid jumped up and down on it I don't think that they will. Try reading it now. Or did you destroy the manual to?