its sort of doable

I have done this with two laptops:

Recipe for Computer vs Computer

Pick a good Meeting encounter Scenario

set the timer to one minute

Set up the game

Set up both forces

Play both sides

gives ALL the orders for all units for the entire game in the first move for both sides (turn the timer off for this)

Hit GO

Then Fire and Forget

let the game run its self

every minute a new turn of combat will take place.

IT is VERY interesting

give it a try if you and a buddy have two computers you can network.

-tom w

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]</p>

I think such a feature would add a new dimension of fun. Not that I'd use it all that often, but it would be handy for running experiments, as well as quickly creating fun movies (assuming that we'll be able to string single turn movies together for a whole epic game movie (as I thought I've heard we'd be able to do)).

I've thought this would be a good idea for some time.

Disregarding the pure pleasure of watching the computer destroy itself in 1 minute chunks of time, this would be a killer feature for playtesting. At least insofar as making sure the reinforcements show up when they should and that nothing too weird is going on.

WWB

Just to show my nerd status, there is a Dr Who episode that deals with this! It concerns two space armadas, one in control of the cybermen (computer-based cyborgs) and some other similar race. Both battle fleets are controlled by identical computers who make their decisions based solely on logic. The two fleets have ended up at a stand-off for centuries without a shot being fired, since when one side makes a logical offensive move, the other side immediately takes the logical counter-move, negating the original advantage that the attacking AI saw and thus aborting the offensive manouver.

I think the cybermen kidnap Dr Who because they want a non-logical humanoid to make a silly move and break the deadlock, thus kicking off the biggest space war in history.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Affentitten:

Just to show my nerd status, there is a Dr Who episode that deals with this! It concerns two space armadas, one in control of the cybermen (computer-based cyborgs) and some other similar race. Both battle fleets are controlled by identical computers who make their decisions based solely on logic. The two fleets have ended up at a stand-off for centuries without a shot being fired, since when one side makes a logical offensive move, the other side immediately takes the logical counter-move, negating the original advantage that the attacking AI saw and thus aborting the offensive manouver.

I think the cybermen kidnap Dr Who because they want a non-logical humanoid to make a silly move and break the deadlock, thus kicking off the biggest space war in history.<hr></blockquote>

Which Dr Who?

Tom Baker was the best one

anyone else here even heard of Dr. Who???

NO NOT Dr.No of Bond fame! smile.gif

-tom w

P.S. Let me be the first nerd to mention the Original Star Trek episode where computers fought each other in simulated "cyber War" and casaulities where calcualated by the computers and REAL people (friendly civilians) had to report to "disintegration chambers" and be killed humanely. The episode was called "A Taste of Armageddon"

Hey, I remember that Star Trek episode. If I recall correctly, Kirk decides that their version of war is too clean and makes it so that instead of reporting to disintegration chambers when the computer decides your part of the city has been bombed, the city will really be bombed. Kirk seems to think that a taste of real war, with painful injuries and body parts and all that, will make these people seek peace. He obviously wasn't a very keen student of history.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MichaelU:

Hey, I remember that Star Trek episode. If I recall correctly, Kirk decides that their version of war is too clean and makes it so that instead of reporting to disintegration chambers when the computer decides your part of the city has been bombed, the city will really be bombed. Kirk seems to think that a taste of real war, with painful injuries and body parts and all that, will make these people seek peace. He obviously wasn't a very keen student of history.<hr></blockquote>

That was the one. VERY good Recall, nice synopsis.

The Enterprise, while in orbit around Eminiar VII is "theoretically" hit and destroyed by a tricobalt-satellite explosion. So theoretically ALL the crew are (by the terms of the treaty of the two warring planets) required to beam down and report to the disintegration chambers, to be humanly distingrated. So of course Kirk sticks his nose in and says "No Fricking WAY, you bunch of loosers!"

-tom w

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Affentitten:

I think the cybermen kidnap Dr Who because they want a non-logical humanoid to make a silly move and break the deadlock, thus kicking off the biggest space war in history.<hr></blockquote>

WELL???? what he do??? arrghh!! it's like seeing a murder mystery on TV and just as the murderer is to be named the Neighbourhood Power goes off!! arrgghH! what did he do?

Please tell me the Dalek's intervened at the most inappropriate moment, dragging the good Doctor away and spewing forth EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!. That would seem a fitting way to ensure the deadlock wasn't broken.

Mind you, if there was a war between the Cyberman & the Dalek's would the Cybermen's 2 cent fire-crackers exploding from their heads be enough to defeat the dreaded Dalek's bathroom plunger inspired weapons? Food for thought...

Regards

Jim R.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]</p>