Pondering the future of CM

Given that many people have asked for a variety of tweaks and twitches in the game system, and BTS's answer that they will not be in CM2 (eg Relative Spotting among others)...

Do you think it might be a better idea to go right into the rewrite of the game engine after CMBB that to write CM3 and 4?

I was just pondering this after reading a few threads, and am interested in what others think.

I don't know for sure. That is a tough question. I would honestly be in favor of whatever Steve and Charles want to do. I would like to see CMII the rewrite as quick as possible but that would mean that the rewrite might not really be that much better then CM2 CM3...and so on. One good thing about having CM2 CM3 CM4 with the same engine is it will leave room for much bigger improvement's when the rewrite CMII comes around.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ellros:

Given that many people have asked for a variety of tweaks and twitches in the game system, and BTS's answer that they will not be in CM2 (eg Relative Spotting among others)...

Do you think it might be a better idea to go right into the rewrite of the game engine after CMBB that to write CM3 and 4?

I was just pondering this after reading a few threads, and am interested in what others think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They said thats what they are going to do. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ellros:

Do you think it might be a better idea to go right into the rewrite of the game engine after CMBB that to write CM3 and 4?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's sorta what they are planning on. Unless things have changed, BTS's general plan is to hire a second programmer after CM2 is out the door. This will allow them to make CM3 at the same time they develop the new engine, whereas otherwise they could only do one or the other. So CM3 will use the CM2 engine with the new engine debuting with CM4.

I think the main reason they are waiting a little while to make the new engine is that it is likely to have much higher system requirements than the current.

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

[QB]

That's sorta what they are planning on. Unless things have changed, BTS's general plan is to hire a second programmer after CM2 is out the door. This will allow them to make CM3 at the same time they develop the new engine, whereas otherwise they could only do one or the other. So CM3 will use the CM2 engine with the new engine debuting with CM4.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never seen anyone from BTS say that they were going to hire a second programmer. In fact, I have seen Steve say that they were expressly opposed to hiring a second programmer. Where did you hear about the second programmer?

Back during the BB crash there was a thread where Steve stated they would begin the engine rewrite after CMBB came out. I remember this distinctly, but I can't remember which thread. It may have been wiped with some of the other threads that didn't make it. Wether that has changed I don't know, but he did say it.

Mord.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

I've never seen anyone from BTS say that they were going to hire a second programmer. In fact, I have seen Steve say that they were expressly opposed to hiring a second programmer. Where did you hear about the second programmer?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here

Our medium term plan is to expand our programming capabilities. This probably won't be for at least 2 years though. In order for this to work, from our perspective, the Combat Mission engine needs to be rewritten. The only person to do that is Charles. So first we finish CM2, then we start to think about what comes next ...

...Combat Mission's engine rewrite might very well happen inbetween CM2 and CM3. There are no hard plans in place right now, and it might be that CM3 will be released with the old engine WHILE we are working on the new one.

Note this was written back in November.

I'd hate to see the CM engine get rewritten into a "processor hog". I love the game but I'm in no mood to spend the equivalent of several months rent for a new computer just to run the rewritten game! Reports are saying that pc sales have gone flat in recent years. With the machines in use today nobody's in much of a hurry to upgrade. I hope BTS brings out a N. Africa campaign before they go tinkering TOO much with the engine.

You can tell I've been burned by other game rewrites in the past.

Looks to me like you won't see it until 2004 or so. By that time 1 Ghz processors and 64 MB video cards will be as common as 300 Mhz processors and 16 MB video cards are now.

When they do rewrite it, I hope they really make it a huge leap, not some minor improvement. I'd like the difference between CM4 and CM1 to be as great as from Steel Panthers to CM1 was.

I think that is exactly what they are waiting for. The average PC life is 36 months ub service, the average Macintosh 54 months (Ignore the Gistics reports on Linux since the game does not run their) so they really need to wait a full average cycle before a truly powerful new engine hits the streets. Split the Mac / PC difference and you would get 48 months per cycle.

Of course, that does not mean everyone will be turned over, jor that the market for computers may not change, just that the average move will occur in the time from what we know about computers today.