The Newbie Tournaments

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by newlife:

By the way, what are the rules to "Blind Man's Bluff"? I mean the real life game, not the scenario.<hr></blockquote>

Newlife,

I'm glad you asked! There are actually several variations on the game. Here are three:

Southwest Educational Development Laboratory

ParentCenter.com

Funology.com.

Enjoy! smile.gif

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Splash:

Warsaw Rose reporting before turn 9 movie:

Dunsel say everybody is coming to the party. We say not all at once -- we are camping! - there is only so many plates!<hr></blockquote>

Herr Splash,

Given the rapid attrition now occuring, it is becoming evident that there will be far less mouths to feed than was originally anticipated. And we cannot but wonder about the real intentions of the invitations; as we arrive, your brave poles tend to leave the area. We have brought much good German beer. Come, have a drink with us and enjoy the warm fellowship that exists between the Poles and the Germans. We can be friends!

Pfc. Dunsel

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Pfc. Dunsel ]</p>

Just in from the press:

"Yet another glorious victory to the allied forces!

In the middle of the night in the [censored] forest near [censored], a small polish unit operating behind enemy lines surprised a group of veteran German paratroopers. Losses where high on both sides, but the Polish forces managed to outmanoeuvre the Germans and slip back to their own lines."

I actually took one (1) more casulty than my honourable opponent, but I started running one turn earlier.... :cool:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hawk:

Just in from the press:

"Yet another glorious victory to the allied forces!

In the middle of the night in the [censored] forest near [censored], a small polish unit operating behind enemy lines surprised a group of veteran German paratroopers. Losses where high on both sides, but the Polish forces managed to outmanoeuvre the Germans and slip back to their own lines."

I actually took one (1) more casulty than my honourable opponent, but I started running one turn earlier.... :cool: <hr></blockquote>

Yes I made an error and pursued him for a turn, which put my troops 100m short at exit.

:(

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Austin Bowe and Dize,

Hurry up and kick each other's tail so that I can smash the pathetic victor you!!!!!!! tongue.gif <hr></blockquote>

VJ,

Actually that needs to be addressed to everybody in Round 1, since Round 2 won't start until Round 1 is complete. tongue.gif

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: SuperTed ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Whoa! dfgardner, you got your work cut out for you in the second battle! ;) :eek: <hr></blockquote>

Tell me about it!

Actually, my paratroops just did not want to leave the field of battle. That or they got lost in the woods looking for the Fugowi tribe. :rolleyes:

Warsaw Rose retorting:

Pfc Dunsel you do care for camping! We were wondering about that. We wait and wait and still you don't show together.

You don't like each?

We Poles we stick together!

Is it not true that I have finally brought you all together now? -- Aren't you grateful? And you chide me?

True is your words --Plenty of plates now!

More results from the GV Newbies:

Leta (German) defeated Commander (Polish), 71-29 in Blind Man's Bluff.

Leta (French, 54) and Commander (German, 46) then played to a draw in Mighty Mouse.

So, Leta wins Round 1 with an overall score of 125-75 and advances to Round 2.

Congratulations to Leta!

OK boys, another game comes to an end.

Commander and me finally finished Blind Man's Bluff and Mighty Mouse today in a fierce TCP/IP battle. We haven't any experience with this game mode before but ... Oh, man! Nobody knows how GREAT is this game until play in TCP/IP! Really amazing.

In BMB the Germans (me) achieved a 71-29 victory. We have only 2 encounters along the game but ... the number of casualties were extremely high. In the first encounter, a German platoon collided with the Poles. After a bloody close combat the two forces were near to be anihilated. Fortunately for me, when the fight ends there are more Pole dead bodies in the ground than Germans.

The second encounter occurs in the opposite side of the map. Another German platoon in a patch of tall pines sighted a Pole one moving in open ground. Well, after a minute of SMG fire almost the entire Pole platoon lay in the grass. The Germans had only four casualties.

In MM ... well I don't want to give any spoilers to all the people who didn't play it yet. I only want to say that the battle was a real carnage. MM is a very tactical battle, with lots of good points for an ambush and lines of approach for your forces. And Commander played it very well. We finally achieved a Draw, 46 for the Axis, 54 for the Allies, with our forces really decimated.

Ok, I'm ready! Who are my next opponent?

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Leta ]</p>

More results from the GV Newbies:

Rucrazee (French) defeated Stormhouse (German) by a score of 58-42 in Mighty Mouse. This was not enough for Rucrazee to overtake Stormhouse's lead from the first leg of Round 1.

So, Stormhouse wins Round 1 with an overall score of 102-98 and advances to Round 2.

Congratulations to Stormhouse!

Don't let Leta fool you. He is very good at tactics himself. The first scenario requires good timing and manuever. I broke my forces into two groups and had them move towards the objective along the sides of the map. (First time I have ever done that!) I did this to provide protection to a couple of weak units and to allow maximum firepower towards the middle of the map. Unfortunately, my units ran into some nasty Germans and were decimated. I attempted to hold Leta's units as long as possible to prevent his forces from getting out in time but they killed most of my units and well....Leta played it right. Congratulations for a well fought battle.

The second game was the first time I have ever used German forces and the second time in my life for a tcpip game (that mode of play rocks by the way - if you have the time) Too bad there is not a way to defeat the ole timezone differences! This was also my first game where there were no flags. The game was interesting and Leta gave better than he got. Our forces were spread across the map and there was some really cool mini battles occuring frequently. At first contact there were two spectacular double kills in a row which goes to show how the rest of the battle went. The allies finished better scorewise but the computer gave it a draw.

Overall, this round was extremely enjoyable as the scenarios were well designed and fairly balanced. You have done a great job SuperTed! Whoever gets to play Leta next better watch out, those boys from Spain can kick ass!

Here are the first results from the Newbie Rejects:

Sir Uber General (German, 51) and icedog42 (Polish, 49) played to a draw in Blind Man's Bluff.

Congratulations to Sir Uber General (barely)! ;)

This was the first battle where only insults were exchanged by the troops. Apparently the Germans were able to hurt the Poles' feelings just enough to get the edge. tongue.gif

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: SuperTed ]</p>

I just want to report personally in for the Super Newbie Tourney:

I've received Pfc. Dunsel's 11 turn move signed and sealed. (I was out for the evening)

I wrote him earlier to tell him to take as much time as he wanted cause I may take the full

72!

So all you quickie boys (I understand that it is truer -- but not in my house) are gonna have

to RELAX!!!

I believe we are fulfilling Ted's wildest dreams for this scenario.

As I mentioned to Pfc. Dunsel (before receiving this move) we have entered a death spiral.

I've been joking about the party and what I meant is that everybody will meet everybody--

one comes with broken and scattered and the other merely traumatized -- it will be all over

by move 13.

Everybody double check everything you say -- I say I don't want to look at your cards but

if your going to SHOW THEM to me well...

Mentioning types of troops is CRITICAL. I did not use that information at the time (that is

I didn't look at point values or firepower) so was working under my first assumptions of

which Ted has written testimony.

I'm a subtle guy be thankful that Dunsel is so good.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Splash:

I just want to report personally in for the Super Newbie Tourney:

I've received Pfc. Dunsel's 11 turn move signed and sealed. (I was out for the evening)

I wrote him earlier to tell him to take as much time as he wanted cause I may take the full

72!

So all you quickie boys (I understand that it is truer -- but not in my house) are gonna have

to RELAX!!!

I believe we are fulfilling Ted's wildest dreams for this scenario.

As I mentioned to Pfc. Dunsel (before receiving this move) we have entered a death spiral.

I've been joking about the party and what I meant is that everybody will meet everybody--

one comes with broken and scattered and the other merely traumatized -- it will be all over

by move 13.

Everybody double check everything you say -- I say I don't want to look at your cards but

if your going to SHOW THEM to me well...

Mentioning types of troops is CRITICAL. I did not use that information at the time (that is

I didn't look at point values or firepower) so was working under my first assumptions of

which Ted has written testimony.

I'm a subtle guy be thankful that Dunsel is so good.<hr></blockquote>

Splash,

Good points all around. Thanks.

OK, Splash. Excuse me if you got some tips from my post. It's not my purpose. :( But I think it's funny to read in this thread how the other guys fight in their battles ... if they don't reveal too much. ;)

Thanks for your comments, Commander, I'm preparing a nice QB for our personal PBEM return match.