The Newbie Tournaments

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DFG,

There will not be a loser's bracket. However, I am in the process of getting a mini-competition going for all the Alternates. They'll be playing one scenario per round against each other. That way, they will have something to do while they're waiting/hoping ( ;) ) for somebody to drop out of the tournament. I'll be sending an email to the Alternates today (hopefully) or tomorrow.

I would be willing to add players to the alternate list (BEHIND the first four) after they are eliminated. The scenarios I am using for the Alternates will be different than those used for the actual tournament, so there is no overlap.

If anybody is keeping track, that is 12 scenarios by yours truly for this tournament. :D

Chad, how did you drag me into this?! :eek: ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

DFG,

There will not be a loser's bracket. However, I am in the process of getting a mini-competition going for all the Alternates. They'll be playing one scenario per round against each other. That way, they will have something to do while they're waiting/hoping ( ;) ) for somebody to drop out of the tournament. I'll be sending an email to the Alternates today (hopefully) or tomorrow.

I would be willing to add players to the alternate list (BEHIND the first four) after they are eliminated. The scenarios I am using for the Alternates will be different than those used for the actual tournament, so there is no overlap.

If anybody is keeping track, that is 12 scenarios by yours truly for this tournament. :D

Chad, how did you drag me into this?! :eek: ;) <hr></blockquote>

Ted,

On the plus side, at least we know you're off the streets at night (I think).

tongue.gif

Mine and Vadr's nice hide & seek is nearing its dramatic and tumultous end!

Can Hauptmann Boedeker extract his horrible revenge on the sinister Polish paratroopers lurking in the forest?

Will the menace of the radip fire mp44 be enough to hold back the durable Poles or is their Sten SMG powerful enough to cut a bloody swathe through the Kraut jaegers and blast a way home?

Note: I protest at super-stamina-armored-monster-robot Polish Paratroopers. Why did you include them in the scenario Ted, why?!

A sneakhathon of the likes I have rarely, or ever witnessed. I guess neither of us are too big on running good men in front of SMG's at these ranges.

I will be rather interested in reading an AAR from Vadr's side, even a short one, even more then from a match of total attrition (unless this still turns into one, possible but I don't think so).

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ligur:

...Note: I protest at super-stamina-armored-monster-robot Polish Paratroopers. Why did you include them in the scenario Ted, why?!

<hr></blockquote>

Ligur,

Actually, there will be a little Polish in ALL the scenarios... ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ligur:

A sneakhathon of the likes I have rarely, or ever witnessed. I guess neither of us are too big on running good men in front of SMG's at these ranges...

<hr></blockquote>

Guys,

It sounds like you guys are on the opposite end of carnage spectrum from Vader's Jester and Lord Dragon. ;)

For Yankee Dog and Zitadelle the carnage has really begun! The early phase (see earlier post) was nothing compared to where we are now and probably going. Yes, stens and MP44s are really nasty at point blank range! :eek:

As for Vader and Dragon, you'll just have to wait and soon find out about the next scenario. We requested it from SuperTed last night, and both Yankee Dog and Zitadelle need to think about the setup for that one (we've exchanged setup files to keep both on the same intell level, but Yankee Dog has not issued the "official setup"). Talk about a radically different approach.

Excellent work SuperTed!

Ligur vs Vadr finished. That was about as close as it gets, 52 to 48. Hooray for troops who exit the map alive.

The almost non-existent fighting made the few violent bursts stand out even more.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Ligur ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zitadelle:

For Yankee Dog and Zitadelle the carnage has really begun! The early phase (see earlier post) was nothing compared to where we are now and probably going. Yes, stens and MP44s are really nasty at point blank range! :eek:

<hr></blockquote>

Indeed. . . this little campfire is really starting to heat up. It things are going the way I think they are going, this is going to make for a VERY interesting AAR. I hope you're taking mental notes Zitadelle, I'll be very interested to hear what was going through your head as this happened.

That goes for the rest of you newbie commanders and your battles, too. Is there anybody out there with some server space that could be used to post AARs from the Tourney once the whole round is finished?? That would be very cool.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Me and Lord Dragon is 'spost to do duel #2 tonight!

"Gonna have me some fun. Gonna have me some fun."

Is battle #2 more than an infantry engagment Ted? (Not that there is anything wrong w/ infantry only battles)<hr></blockquote>

VJ,

There is more than just infantry this time around. However, it probably is not what you expect. ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zitadelle:

As for Vader and Dragon, you'll just have to wait and soon find out about the next scenario. We requested it from SuperTed last night, and both Yankee Dog and Zitadelle need to think about the setup for that one (we've exchanged setup files to keep both on the same intell level, but Yankee Dog has not issued the "official setup"). Talk about a radically different approach.

Excellent work SuperTed!<hr></blockquote>

Zitadelle,

Thanks, man. I didn't want the first two scenarios to be too similar. ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vadr:

It is over, ligur wins round 1 52-48.

Ours was not really a blood-bath, more a true game of hide-and-seek, especially at the end.

A nice little scenario, very tense. Salute! SuperTed.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Vadr ]<hr></blockquote>

Vadr,

Thanks. It sounds like you guys took the title of the scenario VERY seriously. ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lord Dragon:

SuperTed,

Vader's Jester and I are going to run our second battle this evening. Was just curious as to what i should set the time limits too. We are gonna go tcp/ip. Should i set them to no limit? This is what i am thinking.<hr></blockquote>

LD,

No time limit is fine. It just means that the turn starts when both players are done with their orders. For some added tension, you can always set it to 1 minute. :eek:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lord Dragon:

Also,

Can I ask what the average age of the participants in these tournaments are? Just curious, I'm 31 and was wondering if most are around my age and/or younger?<hr></blockquote>

LD,

I'll have that informnation (and more) in the next day or two.

Well,

Hat's off to Vader's Jester. I won the battle by a point but lost the round. It all came down to one armored car to swing the whole round either way. Congrats! But I am soooo pissed!!!! :mad:

I don't want to say much about this scenario yet either, suffice it to say, quite different than the first battle. My opponent and I seem to be quite equal in abilities and this last one turned into a giant slug fest, swung back and forth on almost every turn.

SuperTed,

Again, you rock sir! Thanks for letting me be a part of this, it has been an awesome experience.

Now that I am out, anyone up for a game???? LOL.

:D:D

Did you see that last min. charge. I was hoping to force the crew to bail with a crap load of grenaids. When I blew that other car though, I thoght for sure that the charge screwed me (I thoght the Puma would have caused too much damage to the assaulting squads, and the victory would swing wildly in your favor.

Great game. Good job on suprising me with that left flank! :D :eek: