The Newbie Tournaments

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

Toran,

Only those who fear defeat resort to trash talking. I, on the other hand, have yet to speak a word of trash. :cool: <hr></blockquote>

Good point! I'm going to go with a major victory for SuperTed in, hmmmm, 6 rounds....

:rolleyes:

More results from the SuperNewbies:

Congratulations to Splash!<hr></blockquote>

Thanks there Ted!

I thought for sure Dunsel had won!

If that's what victory feels like! Whoa!

Did I mention I shot 18 of my own men!

If I recall it was

AX - 81 C. 26 KIA? and 29 OK

AL - 105 C! 23 KIA 39 OK

I tried to predict the final score by what Ted gave us and I was wildly off. What is interesting is that even - Did I mention I shot 18 of my own men! - with this they were probably mostly C's.

Whereas I managed to isolate 2 of Dunsel's Plt's. for consecutive kills - that is-- they were killed with no back up or too late a back up - thereby rendering a higher kill rate - I guess.

This is hypothetical. What do you think Ted?

I'm willing to believe that kind of simulation -- if so it's impressive.

The whole kill vs casualty modelling -- what is that?

Also the game ended with the 18th movie -- I was not fully exited and worried about a lonely member of one PHQ who was deeply weary. Kind computer?

Sorry, I walked away from the computer without thanking Ted for a wonderfully conceived scenario.

It was truly an eye opener! I just hope I have the constitution for it! :D

Oddly, it's scarier than I found paintball ever to be. Mind you, I grew up with bush and fog and it's hard to apply that to the computer.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Splash:

Thanks there Ted!

I thought for sure Dunsel had won!

If that's what victory feels like! Whoa!

Did I mention I shot 18 of my own men!

If I recall it was

AX - 81 C. 26 KIA? and 29 OK

AL - 105 C! 23 KIA 39 OK

I tried to predict the final score by what Ted gave us and I was wildly off. What is interesting is that even - Did I mention I shot 18 of my own men! - with this they were probably mostly C's.

Whereas I managed to isolate 2 of Dunsel's Plt's. for consecutive kills - that is-- they were killed with no back up or too late a back up - thereby rendering a higher kill rate - I guess.

This is hypothetical. What do you think Ted?

I'm willing to believe that kind of simulation -- if so it's impressive.

The whole kill vs casualty modelling -- what is that?

Also the game ended with the 18th movie -- I was not fully exited and worried about a lonely member of one PHQ who was deeply weary. Kind computer?<hr></blockquote>

Splash,

Did you shoot those before or after the battle was over? ;)

I believe casualties are tracked throughout the course of the scenario and a formula is used to determine the number of KIAs. In all likelihood, there is some variation in the the formula, so the same numbers are not always generated.

The scenario will end if both sides reach a certain low global morale level. I always thought it was 15%, but yours was 22% and Pfc. Dunsel's was 17%. So, it must be "around" 20%.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lord Dragon:

OK,

Heres goes.....

Any of the alternates want to play me a game tonight? tcp/ip preffered. But whatever works.

Anyone?....Anyone?....Anyone?<hr></blockquote>

LD,

It may not matter, but the Alternates are all involved in the Alterna Bowl. I just wanted to let you know, just in case you were thinking they were twiddling their thumbs.

Now, on the hand, the Loser Pile (of which you are a Charter Member ;) ) is ripe for competition.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: SuperTed ]</p>

Splash,

Did you shoot those before or after the battle was over? ;)

I believe casualties are tracked throughout the course of the scenario and a formula is used to determine the number of KIAs. In all likelihood, there is some variation in the the formula, so the same numbers are not always generated.

The scenario will end if both sides reach a certain low global morale level. I always thought it was 15%, but yours was 22% and Pfc. Dunsel's was 17%. So, it must be "around" 20%.<hr></blockquote>

SuperTed, my spies tell me that it is below 25% morale for both sides that prompts the auto- ceasefire (since version 1.12 IIRC, the book says 15% but that's out of date, methinks).

Or, if one side goes below 15% AND the opposing force has 4x the morale % that equals Auto-Surrender & Total victory.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]</p>

Splash,

The scenario will end if both sides reach a certain low global morale level. I always thought it was 15%, but yours was 22% and Pfc. Dunsel's was 17%. So, it must be "around" 20%.<hr></blockquote>

Sorry Ted I'm going to be a bit of a dog with a bone -

I gather what you are saying is that formula is applied at the end of the game to determine KIA?

What struck me about Pfc Dunsel and I was the high casualty count on my part (it strikes me as quite a bit higher (% wise) than Pfc Dunsel's) yet the higher kill ratio on my part. Wouldn't this be explained by local caculation (as it were)?

Now this speaks to realism and worthy of a comment (not necessarily from you Ted - nor here and now)

In action ( I would imagine I hasten to add) you pretty well know 95% of the time whether your buddy next to you is wounded or dead - yet here tis a mystery!

With regards game ending --could it also be that if the loser exits first - what's left?

But of course-- morale plummets as men leave the battle map!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

SuperTed, my spies tell me that the it is below 25% morale for both sides = cease-fire (since version 1.12 IIRC, the book says 15% but that's out of date, methinks).

Or, if one side goes below 15% AND the opposing force has 4x the morale %= Auto-Surrender & Total victory.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]<hr></blockquote>

SM,

Thanks, man. I figured somebody had to know. smile.gif

Sorry Ted I'm going to be a bit of a dog with a bone -

I gather what you are saying is that formula is applied at the end of the game to determine KIA?

What struck me about Pfc Dunsel and I was the high casualty count on my part (it strikes me as quite a bit higher (% wise) than Pfc Dunsel's) yet the higher kill ratio on my part. Wouldn't this be explained by local caculation (as it were)?

Now this speaks to realism and worthy of a comment (not necessarily from you Ted - nor here and now)

In action ( I would imagine I hasten to add) you pretty well know 95% of the time whether your buddy next to you is wounded or dead - yet here tis a mystery!

With regards game ending --could it also be that if the loser exits first - what's left?

But of course-- morale plummets as men leave the battle map!<hr></blockquote>

Splash,

Good points all around. I wonder if anybody (other than Charles) knows exactly when and how these calculations are done...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Toran:

So, will we be privy to an AAR from the SuperTed vs. Vadr's Jester battle? I mean with all the trash talking, this may be the most interesting battle outside the tournament ... :D <hr></blockquote>

Don't worry. I let everyone know how badly I bloody our tournament leader's pathetic forces. We are playing 'Fatherland.' Neither of us has played this one, so no one hint to us what is in store. I am Volks on defence, and he is US on offence.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sir Uber General:

So lessie... 9 rounds and ST will win smile.gif Thats enough time to manouver into position and assault for sure smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Ye of little faith. At least give me until turn 11. :D

That is, turn 11 is when his men begin their mad retreat to save their own skins! "Run men! Run! Ted is sending us to our deaths for sure!" tongue.gif;)

More results from the Newbie Rejects:

Icedog42 (German) defeated Sir Uber General (French) by a score of 58-42 in Mighty Mouse. This was enough for Icedog42 to overtake Sir Uber General's slim lead from the first leg of Round 1.

So, Icedog42 wins Round 1 with an overall score of 107-93 and advances to Round 2.

Congratulations to Icedog42!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Ye of little faith. At least give me until turn 11. :D

That is, turn 11 is when his men begin their mad retreat to save their own skins! "Run men! Run! Ted is sending us to our deaths for sure!" tongue.gif;) <hr></blockquote>

Oh yeah! This is going to be good! We are definately going to need an AAR! tongue.gif

Oddly, it's scarier than I found paintball ever to be. Mind you, I grew up with bush and fog and it's hard to apply that to the computer.<hr></blockquote>

So you're a paintballer, too? I never appreciated the first-person shooters or even the limited exposure to wargames until I played paintball - that's a rush and a half!

Now boys,

I know SuperTed has not asked for this specifically but it would be nice if you brought in some reports from your (very) distant battles.

It makes me feel very lonely -- no memorials, no rituals, no preening...

Where's the jousting? The ale? Flags waving? Hearty claps on the backs? Nay, even hearty cyber handshakes (apart from Teds)?

Have we truly arrived at this paltry display of Newbie avidity?

I think I'm gonna start crying...