Is the Jagdtiger "worth it"

I know it's very cool looking, and that 128 kills everything it hits. But....., no turret, and it's dog slow. Other than for use on large maps, is it really worth buying?

Opinions?

I just noticed my opponent has one and oddly enough I'm not worried about it. Am I mad? smile.gif

Yes! Nothing can withstand that gun up close.

No. Wait a minute. Zooks will get it. OK. Put it far away. Yeah. That guns got great range. Oops. No. Then arty will get. Maybe its not that great. smile.gif

------------------

Sticks and stones may break my . . OUCH! Hey! Who threw . . .Stop! STOP IT!

Guest MantaRay

Well it is a heck of a lot better than the Jagdpanther. That unit is almost a waste of money. But a JT is very effective when it has support.

Ray

Id rather have the jagdpanther anyday. The 88mm with kill anything the allies can field and has a faster rof and more rounds than the 128mm. Its a faster tank and its way cheaper. And it has pretty decent armour, it can sit back and bounce 76mm rounds off its front hull.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

I have used a JagdTiger once. On the 3rd round that hit it, the gun was damaged. Artillery can immobilize it, as well as cause gun damage. I dont like all my points tied up in one big unit like that, unless it's going to be a pool table map, and that hardly ever seems to happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

I have used a JagdTiger once. On the 3rd round that hit it, the gun was damaged. Artillery can immobilize it, as well as cause gun damage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey,

Yep, only took one once, and it got gun damaged by arty on like turn 4. I have taken Jagdpanthers to great effect against the AI, but both times I brought one into a battle against a person I lost them to early-game miracles (arty gun damage, and a one-in-a-million side shot from across the board by a Priest at an extreme angle... > frown.gif ). Hard to swallow when they up and die, but their performance against the AI has been stellar.

Chris

------------------

What the hell is a Jagdcarcajou?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phoenix:

I just noticed my opponent has one and oddly enough I'm not worried about it. Am I mad? smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course...not! Given that the JagdTiger is merely a limited-mobility pillbox that will more than likely bog down in less than ideal ground conditions, I suggest encouraging your opponent to move it off the road. If the gun points in a direction useless for your opponent then you won't waste ammunition to kill it! wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Monticello (edited 10-20-2000).]

One of my opponents bought one. I was kicking his ass all over the map on his right flank then that beast shows up. He 2 turns he kills my Sherm 76, my Sherm 105, and my Stuart. Now we're even, except he still has that damned JT. I tried a little maneuver to get my Stuart a flank shot. My 105 had a bead on him so I left him there with orders to shoot to kill. The JT was obviously preoccupied with him. So whilst they were facing each other down, I was going to race my Stuart into his flank and kill the bastard. Didn't work. He knocked out my 105 with a first shot kill then my Stuart, valiant effort that it was, almost got to the flank (he was coming from the front of the JT), but the JT got in another first shot kill frown.gif.

LUCK HAVERMEYER, IT WAS PURE LUCK!

Yes, they're worth it IMO

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest *Captain Foobar*

A platoon of JagdTigers, vs. what you could buy for the price of those Jagds:

Most maps and situations, the Jagds would lose, at least in Western Europe.

I love it when my opponents tie up all their points in uber stuff.....

Considering that most Allied tanks have armor that gave rise to the term "paper-thin," what good would a 128mm gun actually do compared to an 88, or hell, even a 75. Answer: not a whole lot. I'd rather have a couple of Mark IVs.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

The jagdT I purchased whimsically (it must a been the scotch). The terrain is all wrong and there are too many trees and its support is shaky. I've almost made up the purchase price though with kills. One more and it will be a fine purchase. If it survives it will a force multiplier for the balance of the campaign.

I am a big proponent of infantry and rarely buy the behemoths (including T and KT and JT).

IMO - it depends on the situation... I purchased one in a flat terrain environment - where I had long range fileds of fire on the objectives. I used it as a building buster - the HE shells pack incredible punch. I wiped out several large heavy buildings and all the poor Brits that were in there. Of course the Churchills - did not stand up to it either - however, this was a game with 3000 points per opponent - in many circumstances -its not the ideal vehicle. BTW - he tried outflanking me but I had solid AT screens to protect the monster.

Goes to say - learn about your vehicles and in what circumstances to best use them.

------------------

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy

Guest Rex_Bellator

Used one once. Bogged down on second turn. Never again. redface.gif

------------------

We're not here to take it - we're here to give it.

It's a high-stakes gamble. If it pays off, you win big. If not, you lose big. I haven't used one in a PBEM, but against the AI, theyr'e pretty good, since the AI usually isn't very good at flanking. And give him some support to defend against inf.

------------------

Charon doesn't make change.