Frequently Asked Questions answered by cesspoolers from the Peng Thread(tm)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forever Babra:

I really had no way of knowing my men weren't spotted. At the time, I was certain that they were. If I had known then all the nuances of the sneak command I might have tried to slip away. Nawwww, prolly not smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much more fun to kill them from behind and watch them die like dogs. Nice sig, btw.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, when I post a message, does it sometimes take up to 10 or 15 minutes before I can actually see the post?

In the main topic page I can see that the thread I've posted to has moved to the top and can hit 'refresh' and see that others are also posting, but by then entering that thread and hitting 'refresh' it still takes 10 or 15 minutes before I can see my or others' new posts.

Does the board only do an update every so often?

Exiting this site and then returning makes no difference either.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

Why, when I post a message, does it sometimes take up to 10 or 15 minutes before I can actually see the post?

In the main topic page I can see that the thread I've posted to has moved to the top and can hit 'refresh' and see that others are also posting, but by then entering that thread and hitting 'refresh' it still takes 10 or 15 minutes before I can see my or others' new posts.

Does the board only do an update every so often?

Exiting this site and then returning makes no difference either.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every word you write is carefully analyzed by BTS's patented Psychographic Indoctrination and Segmentation, Software On-line Field Fileâ„¢. After a relatively small number of posts, everything about you (including that nasty thing you did with your sister in second grade) will be codified, catalogued, cross-referenced and concatenated so that you will be, from the perspective of BTS, an open book.

Then they will try to sell you term life insurance.

You have been warned.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

Hey If my opponent offers a cease fire and I except does that hurt my score at all? I'm in great shape and mopping up the field. I was thinking he was going to surrender, but he offered a cease-fire what's the difference?

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeski:

Hey If my opponent offers a cease fire and I except does that hurt my score at all? I'm in great shape and mopping up the field. I was thinking he was going to surrender, but he offered a cease-fire what's the difference?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you were winning as big as you say you were, then yes, accepting a cease fire can hurt your score. The difference is: Surrender - obvious... his men surrender

Cease Fire - The battle ends... his men don't surrender, and thus count toward his score

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeski:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have tested that two or three times, and found that the difference is not that big. In a game against SquawBroom, he ended up winning by either 83 or 74 points (surrender or cease-fire). I genrally offer a cease-fire to finish a game quickly when I sense it is won no matter what, or when it is stalled (in which case the result most likely will be a draw). If your opponent refuses to surrender, you have to face the possibility to play another 10-15 annoying turns in which he may try to run his men off the map. Better to just cease fire, IMO.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Still waiting.

{Drums fingers on table}<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since I have never, to my knowledge experienced this problem, I will guess that it is something to do with the way your browser caches previously read pages. You might want to check your Tool/Internet Options menu (or equivalent) and check under your cacheing preferences. If you have a slow machine and/or connection, your browser may have defaulted to this to save time loading frequently read pages.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Tank question; M10's or Hellcats? The M10 seems so much more surviveable than the Hellcat somehow. I've played against the AI, and when I lose I notice that my M18's blow up much faster than my M10's. I've yet to use either in a PBEM because I'm not sure how to use them.

The M10 seems to be good at taking out assault guns, german medium tanks etc, but I cannot really do a shoot-out yet. Excuse me while I answer my own question.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

Since I have never, to my knowledge experienced this problem, I will guess that it is something to do with the way your browser caches previously read pages. You might want to check your Tool/Internet Options menu (or equivalent) and check under your cacheing preferences. If you have a slow machine and/or connection, your browser may have defaulted to this to save time loading frequently read pages.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get this happening on both my computer at work and the uber-athlon at home.

Its not life threatening, just frustrating...

I get this happening on both my computer at work and the uber-athlon at home.

Its not life threatening, just frustrating...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps it is God's way of telling you to spend some quality time with that 17 year old fiance of yours.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

Tank question; M10's or Hellcats? The M10 seems so much more surviveable than the Hellcat somehow. I've played against the AI, and when I lose I notice that my M18's blow up much faster than my M10's. I've yet to use either in a PBEM because I'm not sure how to use them.

The M10 seems to be good at taking out assault guns, german medium tanks etc, but I cannot really do a shoot-out yet. Excuse me while I answer my own question.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hellcats. The M10 turret is too slow for a TD that has no armor (and compared to a german TD it has no armor). The hellcat should always be moving fast, hunting for very short periods when a good shot is available (followed by zooming away) or hidden out of enemy LOS. Move so that the turret has to chase you, and don't ever drive across the direct LOS of the gun.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

Hellcat. Use its strengths... speed. There isn't a German tank made that can traverse its turret fast enough to really deal with a Hellcat moving at top speed.

Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

Perhaps it is God's way of telling you to spend some quality time with that 17 year old fiance of yours.

What a champion idea!

*Sound of trousers hitting the floor followed by rapidly disappearing footsteps*

Ok I asked a cease fire question yesterday, and my opponent said he sent one. I opened up the file but saw nothing. then I hit the cease fire button thinking I was going to see his cease fire offer, but it asked if I wanted to secertly offer a cease fire. I don't want to offer one I want to accept one. How is this done?

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Originally posted by joeski:

Ok I asked a cease fire question yesterday, and my opponent said he sent one. I opened up the file but saw nothing. then I hit the cease fire button thinking I was going to see his cease fire offer, but it asked if I wanted to secertly offer a cease fire. I don't want to offer one I want to accept one. How is this done?

If your opponent has sent a cease-fire, and if you send one in your turn, then the AAR will pop up in the movie turn. I would still plot your orders, just in case your opponent is a dishonest, gamey piece of lutfisk. In the words of a famous former President, "Trust and verify." But if you've both pushed the cease-fire button, their will be no combat.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Ok Another question. Playing my second night game. Moving through the woods (with infantry) were I expect to encounter enemy infantry. I have been using sneak, but I want my men to stop and fire at first sight. Dont want to get to close to those SMG. What is my best move option? So they will do this?

------------------

I'd sneak with a lot of waypoints, Joeski. Make sure the waypoints are numerous and quite close together. Also, be sure you have a 1/2 squad on point for the platoon. It's better to have te 1/2 squad get whacked than the bulk of the platoon.

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Perhaps I should try the waypoints idea instead of my typical walk in straight line tactic. I am suprised each time that they see me coming from a mile away.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Originally posted by Terence:

Do a search you miserable pudknocker.

Creative expletive, there Terry. I asked a question in the FAQ's answered by Cesspoolers thread. Imagine that.

If this had been the Cesspool, then you would be getting a nice little retort. But thanks for the help anyway, Terry.

------------------

I thought this was the cesspool, sorta, and since the works of Samuel Butler are about as far as you can get from CM, I figured you'd take a silly answer to a silly question and not get bent out of shape.

"pudknocker" being sort of a silly thing to say, you see, and not an expletive at all.