Hmmm......

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Australia, with postage, CMBO is a tad more expensive than an off-the-shelf computer game.

But as CMBO is about 100 times more enjoyable and entertaining. It is money well spent!!!!!!

I'm definitely going to buy the rest of the series, regardless of cost! biggrin.gif

Mace

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

It came out to $76.89 Canadian for me. I would have paid double however for it. And no BTS don't take that as a hint to raise the price. wink.gif

------------------

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

Funny thing you mentioned half-life, and Diablo II. I paid full price for both. I don't even have Half-Life on my new hard drive, not that it's not an outstanding game but I have different gaming priorities now days. Diablo II really didn't break any new ground. Could of saved my money on that one. Combat Mission surpasses both games in both longevity of game play and revolutionary design within it's genere. Combat Mission is definitely worth every penny.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

I've bought four games this year. I paid $53 for Avalanche Press's "Panzer Grenadier", $54 for Avalon Hills "West Of Alemein", $23 (in the value bin) for Talonsofts "West Front" and $45 for Combat Mission. At $45 it isn't really all that expensive when compared to other games, computer or board. In fact I was surprised that the game didnt cost closer to 60 or 70 bucks. Oh and BTW CMBO is the only one of the four that I actually play anymore.

------------------

It wasn't MY company..It was the Armys' or so they told me.

Divide $45.00 by the number of hours you have spent totally facinated by Combat Mission. When I do it I come up with something like .16 cents per hour and the more I play it the cheaper it is! Now I dont think that is too expensive!!!!!

WTG guys on this GREAT simulator!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

Divide $45.00 by the number of hours you have spent totally facinated by Combat Mission. When I do it I come up with something like .16 cents per hour and the more I play it the cheaper it is!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment...

...this means you have spent only 281 hours and 15 minutes with CM, or not quite 12 straight days. What the hell is the matter with you, some kind of pacifist or what?

You need to stock up on some coffee and liquor and catch up...

With the exchange rate I paid a smidgen over 400 francs (French) to buy CM, making it one of the most expensive games I've ever bought. It is also one of the 2 or 3 best video game investments I've ever made in my life.

In fact that's my personal 'star' system... 'Game X is worth 200 francs... Game Y, they'd have to pay me 100 francs to play it...' I don't wanna say how many stars CM gets...I'm afraid they're gonna raise their prices!! smile.gif

DeanCo--

This is potentially worrisome - at some point, the cost of CM per hour of gameplay will be so low as to be effectively zero. Logically, this would dictate that the overall price of CM is also effectively zero. Therefore it would seem to follow that BTS would go suddenly bankrupt when this point is reached.

The only possible remedy I can see to forestall this 'Black CMday' is the immediate release of CM2.

BTS, please fix or do somefink.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

at some point, the cost of CM per hour of gameplay will be so low as to be effectively zero. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have passed that point. CM is now in the negative numbers per hour because I have played it so much, to where it is now actually generating revenue each time I play. Quite a handsome little profit center.

I have not been able to convey this fully to the GF but I believe it in my heart and I have the numbers to prove it.

Man oh man! I want in on this one! I sold 30

computer games to a place that buys used console and PC games here in FLA...included in these titles were Diablo, Starcraft,Age of Empires with all it's expansions, CC2 and 3, Baldur's Gate with the Swordcoast expansion and a slew of others, because I didn't have the cash available to buy CM. I told the lady give me 65 bucks and all 30 are yours. I never looked back and don't care that I gave up those games for so little,'cause in my mind all I did was trade them for CM. And it is and always will be a HELLUVA trade! I would pay whatever Combat Mission cost. No Joke. If it had cost a hundred I'd flipped the bill for it and smiled gleefully while doing it.

The game is infinitely replayable with all the tools you need to create the battle scenarios from history or imagination.

It is exactly like having all those cool plastic soldiers I had as a child, with my comp substituting as a sand box. I feel the same glorious wonder I did as a boy playing army men in the dirt. If that ain't worth 45 bucks I don't know what is.

Mord.

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 11-05-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lt.Col.Kilgore:

I Think you are charging too much for the Combat mission game... $45? I mean... id rather go pick up Half-life, or Diablo2, or Close combat, for that price.... i would not mind paying $20 for the full version.... but not $45... may i ask why you charge so much?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, CM is the best game I've ever bought. It ranks along civ and Half Life in terms of all time classics.

However, it is sold only by internet, unboxed and without extensive marketing. This massively cuts costs. I feel that although I would have, and did, buy CM for $55 (inc. delivery), it's overpriced. I do agree with Battlefront's philosophy, small time distributor etc etc. Yet I'd rather not have payed extra for shipping to the UK, nor did I want to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive. Furthermore the development is not as high as for something like Quake 3 etc. The margin for CM must be collosal!!!

The costs to Battlefront.com simply do not reflect the price it's charging.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lordfluffers:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're BTS' accountant, then? If you're not, then this statement is completely baseless. How can you have any idea what their bottom line is?

Keep in mind that BTS aren't part of a large software company. Which means, I'm assuming, that the costs for designing CM, including salary for Steve and Charles, incidental costs like travel, research fees, hardware, software, et freaking cetera, have come out entirely out of pocket. Furthermore, the revenue generated by CM sales will have to pay for the design costs of CM2.

Furthermore, CM is not a necessity. It's a luxury. It is absolutely ludicrous to buy luxury goods and to then complain about them being overpriced. It's like saying "Goddamn those Lexus bastards, that's another $40K that won't be going towards my yacht." Doesn't work. If you believe a luxury good is overpriced, you have a very simple remedy: don't buy it.

Crap like this really gets my dander up. Feh.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

You had basically 2 guys working for 3 years on this hummer, and they produced a "wargame with integrity" (to coin a phrase, and here's hoping they didn't resort to DeLorean's methods of alternative financing).

The price is MORE than competitive for what you get, and who bloody cares where the margin goes? You would have gotten no benefit out of more marketing (you bought it anyway), I will send you a game box if you like free of charge, and you would have paid the shipping cost to UK if you'd bought it in a store anyway, just not as a separate line item (would have been built into the shelf price).

Profit and an evident love for the genre were the only motivations these guys could have had, so the more the better. Without reward to individual entrepreneurs you'd be playing Hasbro now.

Whether it's worth it to you is certainly your own decision. But the desire to make a better living is fundamental to all the advances in a free society and this is a textbook example of that precept. Lemme know where you want that box shipped, and if you want I'll create a spec sheet and a TV spot (well, Powerpoint) for it, as well.

I would have paid $45 once for the demo, and again for the release (though I'll expect a $30 credit toward CM2 for developing the above promotional materials) biggrin.gif .

The costs to Battlefront.com simply do not reflect the price it's charging. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I am concerned, whether or not something is expensive is based on the value you receive relative to the price you paid. It has nothing to do with what it cost to produce. CMBO provides a very high quality gaming experience at a price similar to other software titles. I am sure BTS would have made the game more visually appealing, but they would still be developing it and we wouldn't be playing it. It would also raise the level of hardware performance needed to run the game. I don't think I have heard one person claim dissatisfaction with CMBO after playing it. I know I can't say that about some of the other junk for wich I paid $50.

Guest Germanboy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see you are a student, so let me enlighten you a bit. I am about to finish a PhD in Business Studies, and I have a background in economics.

Cost/unit do not have jack to do with price/unit. Price is established by willingness to pay on the part of the customer, and a prediction whether there will be enough customers to cover your total cost. BTS had a conservative assumption about the latter and priced accordingly. Also, as has been established, the price is in the range of similar products. They took a huge gamble on this (two years of their lives), and the returns they make have to reflect this. If you work as a game developer for Microsoft you do not take that risk, so there is no need for you to be rewarded for it.

Your thinking is too simplistic, but you are student, so you will have some time to learn. I suggest you do lots of it before pronouncing brainless trash about other people's business again. Of course, Andersen Consulting will welcome you with open hands and a huge salary if you continue doing it.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-05-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

This is potentially worrisome - at some point, the cost of CM per hour of gameplay will be so low as to be effectively zero. Logically, this would dictate that the overall price of CM is also effectively zero. Therefore it would seem to follow that BTS would go suddenly bankrupt when this point is reached.

The only possible remedy I can see to forestall this 'Black CMday' is the immediate release of CM2.

BTS, please fix or do somefink.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We shall, and it will be called CM2.

Madmatt

If the game was too expensive there wouldn't have been so many people buying it since it went on the market. It is entertainment and can be played over and over. As opposed to going out to eat or to the movies or whatever. The game is high quality and worth every penny. The creators of this game deserve to make alot of money. Look how much junk is put out on the market. I was thrilled to pay 50 for the opportunity to play an all encompassing tactical game on WW2.