--best wargames of years gone by--

Spii

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spii:

I still have and play Empire Deluxe made by Mark Baldwin and Intersel/New world anyone remember that game?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah played the amiga version alot, I miss those teenage days where litte things could make u happy

Jev the Jut

Yeah, but I loved Panzer Strike on the Amiga, the father to the modern squad level games like Steel Panthers and CM (to some extent). That game rocked for the system it ran on......

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

That would be 'Complete Carriers At War'. Graphically it was extremely simple, but fun, fun, fun!

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

I have to vote for Computer Ambush!

(EDIT: for the C64)

What a great game!

(Was recently reminded of the name on this forum only two weeks ago or so.)

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 12-16-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to agree with you there Mr Clark, the beauty of that game was that when you hit the turn button you heard all this cacophany of shooting, explosions & dying & yet not know what the hell really happened until you got to vioew it properly. Certainly built suspense.

Regards

Jim R.

NOt the oldest game... and not a historical game... but I used to love Siege. That was a great game.

My gaming goes way back... unfortunately, I didn't take a real active interest in historical gaming until later it life.

My loss...

But then again, Siege was great!

Joe

Almost any game bythose people who made "The Lost Admiral" and the "Grandest Fleet". Forget the companys name - they went bellyup - Alzeimers has got me, I guessm its hell to grow old but better than the alternative. Al Strachan

I am surrounded by fools and incompetents

Umm. Lost Admiral would be QQP I believe. They also made one of the first modem playable wargames - The Perfect General.

Both great fun, but my vote would go to Kampfgruppe and it's Western Front companion game (and didn't Gribsby do a moderns version as well?)

- Old Dog

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Was that Carrier Strike, or Carrier Command?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From memory, Carrier Strike was designed by Grigsby and published by SSI. I’m talking C64 days.

It was the first game I played that had a dynamic campaign. The war started with Coral Sea, and proceeded through the major carrier encounters of the war. Your performance in a previous battle could affect the course of the war, not only regarding forces available, but in actual battles fought. For example, an excellent result during Coral Sea while playing Japan could mean that Midway was skipped due to insufficient forces available (and you still got a decent amount of point for these ‘skipped’ battles as the ‘victor’). You could also voluntarily decline battle.

Handling of aircraft by carriers was handled exceptionally well. You could choose load- outs for your planes, leading to situations such as was seen at Midway where the Japanese had their planes loaded for a ground strike when US naval forces were detected. And of course the deadly situation of getting caught with readied planes on deck was always a possibility. This led to some great tense moments as the Japanese player as they had no radar. How long do you keep those planes up top before you chicken out? smile.gif As the morning wore on (assuming you had not yet detected the enemy), the possibility of non-radar detected incoming pouncing on your aircraft-laden decks could make your head pop. Everything from that to how many planes could land being dependent on any planes on deck (taking off or landing), and even getting down to how many planes could be moved between decks by the elevators!

Sightings could also be of variable reliability. Sightings ‘aged’ and became less reliable over time. Pilots might not always follow orders. They may find a new target of opportunity, or even attack the wrong task force thinking it was the correct one. It was all there.

Sigh. A true classic in my mind.

My favorite's on the C 64 was Nato Commander. The entire third world war in europe. Alot of things were abstracted, But it had everything. The battle for Iceland. Keeping the atlantic open, And when things got bad.....Tactical nuclear weapons.

AHHHH....The memories

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spii:

I still have and play Empire Deluxe made by Mark Baldwin and Intersel/New world anyone remember that game?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet. Played it last week - PC version of course. But originally played it on Atari 520 pre 1990. Despite being a very simple game the play was superb. A great game for bluffing out your enemies andgetting your production mix right.Suspense as nurse your injured capital ships back to port or attempt a landing - those subs could be a mighty unpleasant surprise.

Greatest unsung game would be "Rails West" game by I think SSI available on Atari 8 bit and early Apple. Building railroads in Western America . Stocks and bonds , boom and bust takeovers , multiplayer - many all night sessions playing that with the lads. We would all pay good money for a PC version!!!!

I would have to vote for three golden oldies.

Computer Ambush by SSI, grandfather of the "we go" concept or at least the first time I remember seeing it. LOS, gernades, morale and garroting(sp?). How could you not love it?

Mech Brigade, father of steel panthers.

USAAF, should have been named Luftwaffe because it was a hell of a lot more fun playing as the Germans.

Honorable mentions to;

Siege (now why can't they make an RTS like that today, cut the cattle, wheat and oil bull**** and stick to good ole fightin)

Panzer General, not that it is really that old or that accurate but it was fun and orginal enough to bring a lot of people over from the mainstream.