--best wargames of years gone by--

Spii

Jeff said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What was the sea battle game on the old Intellivision console?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I think it was called just that-- "Sea Battle." Great game by the way.

Slightly OT but does anybody remember that old electronic board game from the early 80's in the D&D fantasy mold called "Dark Tower." Man, I used to love that game! Still have it but of course the damn thing won't work now.

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

In the board game category:

DUNE, by Avalon Hill.

This is one of the most balanced and fun strategy games I ever played. Rules are clearly defined and brief (by AH standards).

If you ever run across a copy of it. BUY IT!

Every winter, it seems 3 to 5 of us, get together and bust loose a couple games of this classic.

Stoner

I vote for "The Perfect General" by QQP. I played the first one at the amiga and I'm still playing number two, (that's until I get CM). There was also "Mac'Arturs war" at the old C64.

HGA

------------------

"Oh. Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!" BLACK KNIGHT.

Universal Military Simulator for Amiga.

------------------

jochen

Kids today! Why can't they fetishize Fascist military hardware like normal people?

Ladysmith wants you forthwith to come to her relief

Burn your briefs you leave for France tonight

Carefully cut the straps of the booby-traps and set the captives free

But don't shoot 'til you see her big blue eyes

Guest MantaRay

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scrogdog:

Sure, I remember Dark Tower. As I'm sure many of us did, we got it in an attempt to get our friends to play *something*. smile.gif

I haven't seen a copy in years.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW, I remember that one. I used to just figure out the codes and not even bother to play the game biggrin.gif

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

1. Battle of Gettysburg on the TRS-80 Color Computer. It had arty with big thumps and flashes on impact... ooo, multimedia (on my 9" color TV).

2. Ancient Art of War. The bottom line: many, many scenarios. The slouchy little army men reminded me of the half-dead guys in the mostly-forgotten Avalon Hill board game "Survival". The War at Sea version never caught my attention (I was hooked on AH's board game Wooden Ships & Iron Men -- there's a disappointing PC conversion for you, by the way).

3. Avalon Hill's Battle of Midway, proudly written in GWBASIC for the PC-XT. Probably the first one that played differently each time and was actually challenging. I still have the (heavily modified) code around here somewhere... if I could just find a 5.25" floppy drive...

4. Galactic Empire for the Sanyo MBC-550. Not a great game, but I mention it because it was the first computer program I sold for real money (at the ripe old age of 13). Mostly a rip-off of the same old Empire games that had already been floating around for 15 years, but "back in the day" that was SOP.

And none of them, not even the venerable Dark Tower mentioned earlier, come within visual acquisition range of the amazement I felt in the first five minutes I spent with Combat Mission...