Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

6 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Unfortunately that is highly doubtful…

Without knowing the sales (or download) figures I would speculate that Mac users may be the vocal minority in this discussion.  Understandable in the current situation.   I'm a PC user so not directly affected, but with a few Mac opponents I'm interested nevertheless.

1 minute ago, Vacillator said:

Without knowing the sales (or download) figures I would speculate that Mac users may be the vocal minority in this discussion.  Understandable in the current situation.   I'm a PC user so not directly affected, but with a few Mac opponents I'm interested nevertheless.

Well, Steam is available for Mac and quite a few games find it worth the trouble to do macOS versions on there. I don't think it is hopeless.

(not that I allow Steam on my Mac...)

5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

A Landmark Franchise in Wargaming

Combat Mission is a name synonymous with excellence in tactical wargaming. Since its inception 25 years ago, the franchise has released over 20 products, selling over 1 million copies globally. These figures are a testament to the game's enduring popularity and the community's loyalty. Combat Mission has not only set the standard for realism and tactical depth but has also fostered a dedicated following around the globe.

Wow that's awesome Steve! You, Charles, and the rest of the team should be very proud of yourselves. I was in shock to hear the news, but wish everyone at Battlefront the best of luck with Slitherine.

Hope Slitherine allows the beta tester's like myself to continue in our feedback in the development of the series. It's been a pleasure being a part of the beta team for the past 15yrs.

2 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Has it been decided in an announcable way whether WEGO will be kept? Would hate for the Unity move coming with RTS mode only.

That would be the end of cm for many players, and it's such a fundamental aspect of the game that it almost couldn't be called Combat Mission without WEGO. 

Just imagine... no TESTING, even... or at least it'd be much more difficult.

Edited by sttp

5 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

Well, Steam is available for Mac and quite a few games find it worth the trouble to do macOS versions on there. I don't think it is hopeless.

(not that I allow Steam on my Mac...)

And historically BFC is one of those. Don't give up guys!

3 minutes ago, sttp said:

That would be the end of cm for many players, and it's such a fundamental aspect of the game that it almost couldn't be called Combat Mission without WEGO. 

Just imagine... no TESTING, even... or at least it'd be much more difficult.

Wego isn't the dependency for testing stuff like you are saying.  Games like Command Modern Operations and Steel Beasts allow modes where can either swaps side quickly, script multiple sides, and have god-like view of all sides.  In many ways, its easier to test in those environments than CM.

Very interesting. Normally when I hear of such things I'm wary. A few years in investment banking a long time ago and being exposed to the pillage and burn mentality that surrounds such events makes one suspicious.

It starts off as lovefest in the beginning with original founders continuing to run things usually in the operations side while the other side learns all it can. Then a year or so later the executions begin...

Cynicism aside Siltherine seems like a solid and up and up outfit. Most importantly it looks like they are privately held. If they were a publicly held with stockholder to answer to that’s a different story.

From a player’s standpoint perhaps a lot to look forward to. The bugs mentioned in forums squashed, better animations so troops don't look like they're skating on ice. Better explosions and building that look up to 2024 standards and make nice piles of rubble that block streets.

Who knows made existing products get a nice make over-I hope so and would be willing to shell out some dough if what I saw was nice.

Congrats to the BF team and hope you were able to squeeze a lot of blood out of the lizard for the rights to your product.

23 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Steam Hardware Software survey:  1.37% of Steam users use Apple OSs

There are actually more Linux users than Mac.  Thats scary by itself.

That is usage, though. Not purchases. Mac users might have more money to spend on games that they can't play because they need the overtime to pay for their Macs :)

I have been playing since CMBO.  [old screen name was Rankorian]  But not in recent years, due to the dated graphics, and the doubt it would run or look well on my newish computer and large screen.  [Though some old games have adapted.  I am playing Shogun 2 now--just have to adapt to tiny, tiny writing.]

I plan to just buy the new game they will release. (supporting the endeavor)  And start new from there.  Hopefully I will live another 20 years (and the world will survive another 20 years) to see the war fight simulator continue its journey.

Edited by David Fields
missing word

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

Keep in mind that Unity is truly cross platformable and CM3 already runs quite nicely on my Mac Book Pros.

There's a bone. Glad to hear that CMx3 is already well underway to where it could be running on your computer. I would assume that this is the 'big announcement' we have been waiting this year for?

5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

The upshot of all of this is Combat Mission will get a huge production boost without losing its focus.  I can say that for sure because there's already 2x (closing in on 3x) more people working on Combat Mission already and all of Battlefront is part of that.  We started ramping up almost 2 months ago, just as an FYI, and we're VERY happy with how it is going.

Great news! CM games have so much potential, and deserve much more resources poured in. And it deserves better modding compitability. To think of the world we would have if CM was easy to mod years ago...

Also, does this mean I can soon play large maps with my top of the line AMD graphics card without CTDs? 😅

38 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

That is usage, though. Not purchases. Mac users might have more money to spend on games that they can't play because they need the overtime to pay for their Macs :)

OK.  So maybe its double that.  Thats still paltry compared to Windows.  Even 10x its 14%.  I am highly skeptical that Mac users are spending that much more money on games than Windows users.

btw, I at least brought some numbers.  Lets see your stats.  I know the market sizes of software.  It is literally my job.  Buts see what you bring to the table.

Edited by Thewood1

4 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

OK.  So maybe its double that.  Thats still paltry compared to Windows.  Even 10x its 14%.  I am highly skeptical that Mac users are spending that much more money on games than Windows users.

btw, I at least brought some numbers.  Lets see your stats.  I know the market sizes of software.  It is literally my job.  Buts see what you bring to the table.

Relax. I just brought up a thought that came to my mind. Somewhere there's Mac usage that makes it worthwhile for e.g. Baldur's Gate 3.

Its only worthwhile if the cross-platform is relatively pain-free.  Unfortunately  Apple used to make it very difficult.  They are better, but the ship has probably sailed.

https://techloot.co.uk/gaming/mac-vs-pc-gaming/#:~:text=Despite the recent efforts by,20%2C000 Steam games for Windows.

I just checked my companies game OS tracking.  They stopped covering Mac gaming stats five years ago because of lack of interest and limited penetration.

I think all us Mac users are well aware that Mac gaming is a small fraction of the computer gaming market.  However, at some point it also becomes a self fulfilling prophecy as well.  One of the reasons Mac gaming is small is that there aren't many good games that support Macs.  We also know that Apple made it difficult at times for devs to support Macs but it seems that they are trying to do better, especially with the new Apple silicon hardware and the conversion software they have put together.

If you think about it, high fidelity war gaming is also a pretty small niche market in the overall gaming marketplace as well but none of us want to see that market and especially CM go away because it's not as popular as Fortnite or RPGs and such.

Cheers,
Jeff