Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

First fanmade CampaignPack "Summer of Destruction" is released (no charge)

I've just downloaded this pack. On first viewing it does look like an impressive piece of work. Currently "Downfall" is taking up all of my limited gaming time, so it will be months rather than weeks before I take it on. But, many thanks to X (formerly known as Twitter) for putting it together.

• 2 months later...

Excellent campaign pack.

My only gripe is that after the first few missions of the 1st campaign, the game keeps crashing when I hit the play button.

Tried to unpack the campaign and see whether it is a problem with one particular scenario but no, it happens regardless of which battle do I pick.

The same happens with the very first mission of chapter 2.

EDIT: never had this problem before with either the official or fan made campaigns.

Edited by SDG

• 3 weeks later...

In the last few months I have received numerous emails: some with technical information, some with background questions and also a few interesting after action reports. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time and some of the emails ended up in the spam folder, so I couldn't respond. That's why I'm going to open a small topic here for the campaigns where I can answer all questions (even if many of the players who have already contacted me aren't even registered here in the forum).

Mr.X

• 4 weeks later...

In the last two weeks (during my vacation without phone and mails😉) I have recieved few inquiries about the campaign pack: 

1) Multiple players have again reported issues with missions that involve fortifications. All these players use MAC-Systems. Obviously, in this case, the guys from Battlefront were never able to solve this technical problem properly. 
This is very annoying, because the affected missions are actually not so huge that they should cause any computer problems.

2)Some guys asked me if I could send them the files: 

The whole campaign pack can be downloaded from the scenario-depot at FGM. 
I have deleted all my CM Games and I have no copies of the campaigns. 

For various reasons I have completely lost interest in CM. 

Regards

Mr.X

2 hours ago, Mr.X said:

That's a great shame Frank.  I hope your interest will return (perhaps with the next version of CM), but thanks for continuing to interact here.

10 hours ago, Mr.X said:

In the last two weeks (during my vacation without phone and mails😉) I have recieved few inquiries about the campaign pack: 

1) Multiple players have again reported issues with missions that involve fortifications. All these players use MAC-Systems. Obviously, in this case, the guys from Battlefront were never able to solve this technical problem properly. 
This is very annoying, because the affected missions are actually not so huge that they should cause any computer problems.

2)Some guys asked me if I could send them the files: 

The whole campaign pack can be downloaded from the scenario-depot at FGM. 
I have deleted all my CM Games and I have no copies of the campaigns. 

Regards

Mr.X

I don't blame you. But I'm absouletly bummed we won't see anymore work from you.

In fact I am full of creative energy 😎 

But meanwhile playing/creating with CM feels like riding a dead horse. Recently I played around with my kids new XBox and that opened my eyes:

CM is a fivteen year old game and even when CMBN was released, it wasn‘t a „modern game“ in terms of graphics, engine etc. But now it is decades behind the technical state of the art. Additional there are plenty of issues, bugs and other problems, which aren‘t fixed for years. 
The community seems to be shrinking more and more for these reasons. I estimate that no more than 10 people are regularly active here in the forum with constructive contributions and there is no other „living“ forum or webpage for CM. 
The Battlefront Team doesn’t seem to care. Their boss only posts in his „Ukraine“-thread and acts like a Great war strategist. The rest of the team seems unprofessional and destructive to me. 
My assessment is that the Battlefront Crew had a great idea 25 years ago and created a great game. This allowed them to survive well in their niche. But now they should retire. 
If a new up-to-date game engine was developed for CM( which I can hardly believe), then I will take my hat off and (like many other former players) be happy to come back 👍🏻

Until then I‘ll leave the party. 

Best regards 

Mr. X

Sorry to see you go. I understand your reasoning. The forums are not what they used to be and a lot of great creators and modders have took leave. It does seem the Ukraine feed seems to take everyones attention and I do follow it, but posts for the games are really down.

I continue to work on a few projects myself to try and provide new content for the players to enjoy. It's what I enjoy most. The game system is old and it's sure not perfect with the occasional bugs but for me it is still one of the best tactical war-games there is. Sure it lacks the high end graphics you see in the FPS games and role playing games, but with mods it still, at least for me, provides a immersive experience to create real or hypothetical tactical battles.

Best of luck to you and I hope you will return.

Mike (dragonwynn)

9 hours ago, Mr.X said:

CM is a fivteen year old game and even when CMBN was released, it wasn‘t a „modern game“ in terms of graphics, engine etc. But now it is decades behind the technical state of the art. Additional there are plenty of issues, bugs and other problems, which aren‘t fixed for years. 
The community seems to be shrinking more and more for these reasons. I estimate that no more than 10 people are regularly active here in the forum with constructive contributions and there is no other „living“ forum or webpage for CM. 
The Battlefront Team doesn’t seem to care. Their boss only posts in his „Ukraine“-thread and acts like a Great war strategist. The rest of the team seems unprofessional and destructive to me. 

My prediction way back when was that BF's military contracts wold start taking over more and more of BF's attention and that is probably why we see so few bugs addressed or improvements.  One can only hope that a CM3 is well in the works (hence the Matrix CM2 sale offerings).