Cold War Grand Tournament signups are open

BFCElvis

On 9/28/2023 at 7:36 AM, Andrew Kulin said:

If you have more kills in a turn you get 3 points and your opponent gets 1 point. If nothing happens it is 0-0. Presume it is same 0-0 for a tie in kills which might be rare if they score kills based on values of units (e.g., tank vs. X soldiers).

I always thought it an odd way to score and figure it would be more logical to do it the soccer way.  3-0 for a win, 1-1 for a tie, and for CM 0-0 if no casualties in a turn.

Yes, the way it score is an odd way. Just think about a scenario. A NATO company combat team maneuver to take a flank shot on WP's marching formation. A Mi-24D detects the NATO company. 1st turn a Bradley destroyed by an ATGM, 2nd turn a M1 suffered a hit on the side of the turret, lost its commander, 3rd turn the salvo fire of rocket disabled a Bradley kill/injure half of the infantry squad on board. then in the 4th turn the NATO get into the position, wiped out a company of T-62, BTR-60 and kill most of the infantry on board.

but based on current score system, the ending score is NATO:WP at 3:9 ??? 

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious.  Did anyone as the Soviet player get into Mittelsbach?  And if so, how?  I did not think the scenario was in any way winnable by the Russian player given the spread out timing his forces arrived. 

Both Probus and I sent our forces towards Mittelsbach on different sides of that wooded hill and we were both decimated on the approach.  Russian tanks and AFVs were picked off with ease by the US side.  By end of game we each had a fraction of our attacking forces sitting just east of the "suburbs" of Mittelsbach with no time left and frankly not enough strength to do anything in any event had there been time

So did anyone capture the town?

I rushed my Motor infantry thru the covered advance, took heavy losses at that opening, but did get a big part of that company out from under the blue guns up on that hill.  So, I felt that I could have stormed mittelshenbach and taken it.

I was a little lucky as my MIG’s were dropping cluster right on his blue tank concentrations and i put the cluster arty right on mitteleshenbach from turn 5, on a light max mission and it was very unhealthy for his infantry to be there.

I attritted my oppo firepower down pretty significantly which made the rush do-able.

I made the right choice to send ALL the air at minute 5  because once the Tunguskas arrived, things would have been different for blue air.  All my aircraft, both sides, aircraft scored kills.

My oppo did not pre plan CAS or fires. And he never got them off. We stopped at minute 30. 

Edited by ALBY

Stupid me, I forgot to pre-plan arty as well.  (and I wish pre-planned artillery could be set for times greater than +15 minutes - Game 5 suggestion). But I also used smoke missions to cover my advance across open areas and that was useless.  American vehicles apparently could see through it as if clear as day so I got decimated.  But the smoke worked great to prevent my tanks from seeing the US forces and firing back at them on my advance.  My opponent was able to do that on his advance while getting beaten down on his and he was able to score 2 or 3 kills on US tanks and TOWs

The final US reinforcement into the Russian far objective would totally crush any serious advance past mitteleshenbach. What a hose job !!  

I never got to play them as they arrived just as we stopped, but I would have parked them on the objective and they would have been hell to dislodge in 15 minutes with a shot up MRB. 

I had sent my red air back to attack this objective with cluster but the timing was not do-able. 

Yeah.  I left my initial forces only in Mittelsbach and most of my reinforcements I set up on the ridgelines further back.  Sent a couple of tanks into the H-town to get views on the Russian approaches and that was all.  Saw at the end that my opponent had a lot of forces in Mittelsbach (including lots of dragon teams) and thought to myself that was smart.  No way I was taking that town with the meager forces that got close.  Which was pretty much only tanks so even if his armor way back was not picking them off with impunity, his Dragons would have chewed me up.

On 10/26/2023 at 5:08 AM, Andrew Kulin said:

I am curious.  Did anyone as the Soviet player get into Mittelsbach?  And if so, how?  I did not think the scenario was in any way winnable by the Russian player given the spread out timing his forces arrived. 

Both Probus and I sent our forces towards Mittelsbach on different sides of that wooded hill and we were both decimated on the approach.  Russian tanks and AFVs were picked off with ease by the US side.  By end of game we each had a fraction of our attacking forces sitting just east of the "suburbs" of Mittelsbach with no time left and frankly not enough strength to do anything in any event had there been time

So did anyone capture the town?

I did capture the town but with sheer luck and in the very last minute. I took the left side (from Soviet point of view) for my mech infantry and the right side for most of the tanks. Right went pretty smooth as there are a few paths that are almost completely covered. There is one such on the left side but I only routed part of the traffic there. Paid a high price for that stupidity. In principle I was lucky that my opponent chose to do a rather static defense on the ridge and in the second town. A few tanks around Mittelaschenbach would have been a massacre... Well, it still was, it was "only" a draw but that was way more than I had anticipated. Managed to push the US over the 50% casualties threshold in addition.

I made a top down screenshot most turns and plan to do an AAR at some point for discussing what could have been improved.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all

I have been unable to play my Soviet turns in round 2 because when it shows the password bit of the file it says incorrect password despite one, this is the first time I got the file and as far as I was aware you're not meant to use passwords in the tournament nor have I set one .anyone know how to fix or can anyone do anything thanks in advance

I can provide pictures when I get home.

Regards

Pugstorm

6 hours ago, pugstorm said:

Good morning all

I have been unable to play my Soviet turns in round 2 because when it shows the password bit of the file it says incorrect password despite one, this is the first time I got the file and as far as I was aware you're not meant to use passwords in the tournament nor have I set one .anyone know how to fix or can anyone do anything thanks in advance

I can provide pictures when I get home.

Regards

Pugstorm

Welcome to the forum and thanks for round 1. :)

• 1 month later...

A general question about the last round (scenario civil war), what is the maximum number of points that can be scored?

The briefing states 2000, 1000 via mission objectives, the map shows 1200 for objectives, 1000 for destroyed units, which is also incorrect as players have already achieved significantly more.

Game over, tough battle, thank you @Andrew Kulin for this epic and thrilling battle (lawran in the tournament). We achieved approximately the same results on both sides. Towards the end, we took huge risks with big losses, of my 3 tanks launched to attack an objective during the last turn, only one survived, and if the game had lasted one more turn it would also have joined the tank cemetery.

However, I will send you an injunction from the international tribunal for war crimes: article 23 of the regulations concerning the laws and customs of war on land (The Hague/ La Haye, July 29, 1899 -1907): "it is prohibited to use unduly military insignia and uniform of the enemy. The Hague court will certainly follow my recommendations and sentence you to 20 years of ban from playing CMCW.

On 1/5/2024 at 6:03 PM, M.Herm said:

A general question about the last round (scenario civil war), what is the maximum number of points that can be scored?

The briefing states 2000, 1000 via mission objectives, the map shows 1200 for objectives, 1000 for destroyed units, which is also incorrect as players have already achieved significantly more.

Has been solved, was an error in the slitherine tournament system.