Cold War Grand Tournament signups are open

BFCElvis

Combat Mission: Cold War
Grand Tournament

The Tournament will begin Sept, 25, 2023 and you can join now.

This Tournament will feature 3 rounds with 3 different scenarios.

Valley of Ashes – US vs Soviet meeting engagement at dawn

Recover and Attack – M1 tank recovery. US attack

Civil War Within – 1980 - There has been a underground movement in Ukraine to break away from the
Soviet Union, but its out in the open now, and it has lead to war.

Before joining the tournament, please take a moment
and carefully read these instructions that are specific
to all Combat Mission Tournaments!!!

-          Because of the way that Combat Mission’s original “play by email” system works, both game
files have an in-game field for password protection of the file. This field should be left blank. For the
Axis side the password has been selected before the battles were sent and that field is to be
left blank. You can use a password for the Russian side but it isn’t needed because the Tournament
feature handles protection from cheating without using the in game system.
-          The Tournament will have you playing 2 individual battles where you are playing both sides of
the same battle. If you get into the game before your opponent, you will see 1 game turn to play. If
your opponent has gotten there first then you will see 2 turn files and each turn thereafter should
have 2 files.
 - Once a tournament begins you will receive the files in the "Saved Game and PBEM"; drop menu
under Automated PBEM++ In Progress. You will receive email notifications when your opponent has
sent you turns. 
- You will need a Matrix user name and password to play any tournament (or PBEM++ battle). If you
don't have one already you can get one here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/login

https://www.matrixgames.com/tournaments

2 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

Hmmm, this is the first time I've caught a tournament announcement while signups were still open. Having never fought a human opponent before, I expect to do poorly. It should be fun nonetheless.

You might be surprised how well you do. One thing is for sure.......If you've never played a human before you're gonna find out how fun it is. 

All of these battles are very short too. I'm a pretty weak H2H player (although I love doing it) and find that I do better in short battles, rather than big long ones. 

3 minutes ago, ratdeath said:

Is the third battle a red vs red scenario?

None of the 9 battles is red vs red

I will sign up for the CMCW tournament and hope for active opponents :)

Yeah. Me too. I'm gonna see if we can all help each other have less players be no shows. Slitherine is considering possibly creating "nudge" emails if we see someone hasn't shown up. They're concerned about doing it too much and spamming people. There should be a "happy spot" that is nudging without spamming. And we should all try to reach out to people through the Matrix forum. A lot of players are probably on the Battlefront forums but ALL tournament players have Matrix forum accounts. 

It's definitely more funner if more people who sign up actually play. It is way more betterer.

Elvis:

Is there any way that for these tournaments that players are given their opponent's contact e-mail?  At the very least can BFC compile an e-mail contact list for all tournament participants so in the circumstance where an opponent is totally silent and MIA, that we can at least contact you guys to either get their e-mail, or for you to give them a nudge or something?

Because in previous tournaments it just seems to me that there are way too many participants who never bother to show up which then screws with actual players tournament scoring and their enjoyment.

Edited by Andrew Kulin

Maybe make the tournaments with 4 battles, the first battle can be something like moving a tank to a victory condition for 1-2 turns. Players that signed up but does not finish the pre-battle are booted from the tournament and hopefully we have less no show ups for the real battles... maybe  stupid idea!! :)

55 minutes ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Because in previous tournaments it just seems to me that there are way too many participants who never bother to show up which then screws with actual players tournament scoring and their enjoyment.

Last Tournament: In 2 out of 3 battles my opponents played some turns but never bothered to tell me they didn't want to continue, the 3rd was a complete no-show. I get that people shouldn't be spammed but looking forward to the battle, doing a lot of planning and all that for nothing is a real bummer. 😞

(I did sign up again, though. 😉)

1 hour ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Is there any way that fore these tournaments that players are given their opponent's contact e-mail?

There is actually a private messaging system with your Matrix account. It seems that new messages there do not trigger an email. Matrix changing that would go a long way.

1 hour ago, Andrew Kulin said:

I'd love to be able to find it.  When I look at messaging on both Slitherine or Matrix Accounts I cannot for the life of me find anything at all that lets me initiate a message.  Here is a screen shot of the Matrix site. 

Where is there even a create new message button.jpg

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been in Philly for the Eagles/Vikings game (Go Birds)

Two things......

You have to be in their forum to send a direct message.  

Also, from what I understand, you have to have posted a certain number of times on their forum before you can send a direct message. I'll see if I can find put how many times that is tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, ratdeath said:

Maybe make the tournaments with 4 battles, the first battle can be something like moving a tank to a victory condition for 1-2 turns. Players that signed up but does not finish the pre-battle are booted from the tournament and hopefully we have less no show ups for the real battles... maybe  stupid idea!! :)

That isn't as crazy of an idea as you make it sound.

All of their tournaments have no shows. But CM seems to have a higher percentage than the others. And I don't understand why that would be.

10 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Elvis:

Is there any way that for these tournaments that players are given their opponent's contact e-mail?  At the very least can BFC compile an e-mail contact list for all tournament participants so in the circumstance where an opponent is totally silent and MIA, that we can at least contact you guys to either get their e-mail, or for you to give them a nudge or something?

Big no no giving out that kind of personal information. I wouldn't do it with the information that Battlefront has and neither would Slitherine. 

50 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

That isn't as crazy of an idea as you make it sound.

All of their tournaments have no shows. But CM seems to have a higher percentage than the others. And I don't understand why that would be.

Yeah I was thinking the same, @ratdeath idea could work. Maybe like a 1-3 turn rollcall pre-battle with like a 4-5 day deadline to complete. Those that dont do anything get the boot. It would at least cut down on the no shows.

8 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Big no no giving out that kind of personal information. I wouldn't do it with the information that Battlefront has and neither would Slitherine. 

No, I figured you wouldn't send us their e-mails, but I was thinking more along the lines that you would have their contact info and that in situations where one of us is hearing absolutely nothing, that you could contact them and ask what is going on.

8 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been in Philly for the Eagles/Vikings game (Go Birds)

Two things......

You have to be in their forum to send a direct message.  

Also, from what I understand, you have to have posted a certain number of times on their forum before you can send a direct message. I'll see if I can find put how many times that is tomorrow. 

Thanks. I found it.  And sent you a message to see if I could.  I don't think I have made any posts on the Matrix Forum.

Edited by Andrew Kulin

4 hours ago, Artkin said:

I'd like to sign up for these but last one I tried in sf2 (I'm currently playing it offline) my turns wouldnt send. If this happens again may I be provided with an alternative solution?

Yes, the alternate solution is to let me know. I have found that Slitherine can access the last turns sent and resend manually. So, I can contact them and see about getting the files through.

They are committed to doing whatever they can do to make sure that these tournaments work and are happy to help. 

• 2 weeks later...

In preparation for the tournament, I watched a video, as one does. 

The 'saved games & PBEM options' are different from what the YouTuber was showing. This is what I have on CW v1.06

5B2MetU.png

Do I get turns in email or how will this work with the functionality I have? Upgrading to 1.07 isn't an option due to the unit renaming bug. 

Thanks. 

H

4 minutes ago, Halmbarte said:

The 'saved games & PBEM options' are different from what the YouTuber was showing. This is what I have on CW v1.06

5B2MetU.png

Do I get turns in email or how will this work with the functionality I have? Upgrading to 1.07 isn't an option due to the unit renaming bug. 

Thanks. 

H

Even if had v1.07 it wouldn't work for you. PBEM++ and the Tournaments are only for Windows players.

6 minutes ago, Halmbarte said:

5B2MetU.png

Thanks. 

H

Gotta be on 1.07 to get the PBEM++ system. And or grab your Steam key and have 2 different installs of the game.