Cold War Grand Tournament signups are open

BFCElvis

1 minute ago, MeatEtr said:

Gotta be on 1.07 to get the PBEM++ system. And or grab your Steam key and have 2 different installs of the game.

No. Ever since Cold War was released on Steam it has had PBEM++. The difference with the v1.07 is that it now has the new Tournament scoring. He is a Mac player. That's why he doesn't have it.

1 minute ago, Halmbarte said:

Just to clarify, I'm locked out of the tournament? 

H

Do you have a Windows installation of the game anywhere? If you don't have a Windows installation you won't be able to process turns. The PBEM++ system that is used for Tournaments is ONLY available on Windows. Even if you had a flawless installation of Mac with the v1.07 patch you would not have the ability to play in the Tournament. 

Some Mac users are able to make Windows installations. I'm not a Mac guy, so I don't know how to tell you how. @Buzz does it. Other Mac users may be able to give you guidance too.

13 hours ago, Halmbarte said:

I got CW activated in Steam and installed on Win 11 in a VM. Might have a bug though, as I don't remember the invisibility cloaking device as being implemented by the US side in Between Two Fahrbahns. 

FmD37oW.jpeg

This one of the M60A2 with the commander unbuttoned really shows just how huge that tank is

SaLRDs2.jpeg

R0fqVJC.jpeg

vEUa6lg.jpeg

H

That, again, looks like missing or extra brz files. Here is how you get to your Data folder with Steam (even tough it is CMFI the principle is the same) . If you send a screenshot of the contents of the Data folder I can tell you what's wrong.

BF.png

I've never used the PBEM system before and I can't seem to start the first turn.

• I see '[Grand Tournament] CMCW Round 1 (Turn 0)'
  • I click Continue
  • I see New Password (looks like I'm playing the Soviets)
  • Per instructions I leave the field blank and click ok
  • I see the Save Email Game box, File Name: Valley of Ashes 002
  • I click Ok
  • I'm back at the main menu and logged out of my Slitherine account

1 hour ago, Centurian52 said:

I've never used the PBEM system before and I can't seem to start the first turn.

• I click Continue
  • I click Ok

All of that looks fine and just what I did this morning for all three games. Just like a regular PBEM game the first turn is setting the pw and that is all you do. In this case leaving it blank makes it feel like you did nothing at all 🙂 But what you did do was create a file ready for your opponent to play. The PBEM++ system will have sent that file to the server for delivery to your opponent. They get to do their setup and send the turn back to you.

This I don't understand. You should return to the main menu of the game once the save dialog box goes away. However I don't know what "logged out of my Slitherine account" means. Can you clarify?

7 minutes ago, IanL said:

This I don't understand. You should return to the main menu of the game once the save dialog box goes away. However I don't know what "logged out of my Slitherine account" means. Can you clarify?

I use my Slitherine credentials to log into the PBEM system. When I get booted back to the main menu I no longer appear to be logged in. Granted there doesn't appear to be a way to tell whether or not I'm logged in from the main menu screen, but when I go back to the PBEM in Progress folder I'm asked to log back in.

• I click Continue
  • I click Ok

That is correct. As explained in the original post. 🙂 

Although your Slitherine account on their website has nothing to do with it. It's all done within the game.

I received my three turns and played them all - just pw setting so no fun - yet 🙂 I found only one of my three opponents has a Matrix community forum account and I sent them a direct message.

I find their setup a bit odd. Why is the tournament account not tied to the community account? I would have hoped / assumed that if you signed up for the forum you would be ready to go for a tournament. In fact I think you are. But on the other hand I would also have expected that if you signed up for a tournament that created account would also be setup for the forum. That way at least people could DM their opponents easily.

Sigh maybe some day ?

CMCW: A mirror match with fixed starting positions (that are the same as in the original battle)? There goes my fun. Again. 😞  So, I either exploit the available information and have a totally cheesy match start or I try to forget what I saw and play gentleman-like. And severely hamper myself in case my opponent (whom I can't contact, of course) doesn't share my sense of sportsmanship... Seriously, Battlefront, that was a bit too lazy on your or Slitherine's part...  

6 minutes ago, Butschi said:

CMCW: A mirror match with fixed starting positions (that are the same as in the original battle)? There goes my fun. Again. 😞  So, I either exploit the available information and have a totally cheesy match start or I try to forget what I saw and play gentleman-like. And severely hamper myself in case my opponent (whom I can't contact, of course) doesn't share my sense of sportsmanship... Seriously, Battlefront, that was a bit too lazy on your or Slitherine's part...  

Fortunately the reinforcement schedule means that I can't exploit knowledge of the other side's starting positions if I want my fire plan to support my main effort.

2 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

Fortunately the reinforcement schedule means that I can't exploit knowledge of the other side's starting positions if I want my fire plan to support my main effort.

Well, it should be perfectly possible to wipe out all the Soviet FOs in turn one. Bye bye, fireplan...

EDIT: OK, pre-planned support is probably not affected but still...

Edited by Butschi

2 minutes ago, Butschi said:

Well, it should be perfectly possible to wipe out all the Soviet FOs in turn one. Bye bye, fireplan...

That's true. And my ability to pre-plan my fire plan is severely hampered by the fact that I can only postpone preplanned fires by 15 minutes, and the last of my reinforcements don't arrive until 20 minutes into the battle (assuming nothing has been changed from the original version of the scenario). Either I need to do something decisive at the 15 minute mark, without my full force available, or I need to figure out how to keep my FOs alive.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

That is odd. I do not experience that. Once I'm logged in I stay logged in until I shut down the game. Then I have to log in again next time I run the game.

Not me, its never been like this for me. I have to log in again every single time after sending a turn. @Centurian52 Do you have a turn in your outgoing folder now? If not, is it possible to see if his turn was sent? He may have the same issue as me where I send the turn but it never gets to my opponent. 

52 minutes ago, Butschi said:

Yeah I really don't like mirror matches especially when you cant switch up the start zones. 

Too many cheeseballs play these games. And now that the tournament leads to something bigger I sort of expect it. 

Like Artkin, I do NOT stay connected to the slitherine server and have to constantly re-log in. I sometimes lose orders and must replay turns, having been logged out while issuing orders. 

Is there a setting anywhere that would impact this ?   Even on the web site, I am logged out of their forum constantly. maybe a browser setting in win 11?

my network is a Comcast business gig plus business line and the monitoring software says that it is Gucci. 

this is a potential issue as I have been issued warnings in the past because downloading a turn more than once is not allowed. 

any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by ALBY

3 minutes ago, ALBY said:

Like Artkin, I do NOT stay connected to the slitherine server and have to constantly re-log in. I sometimes lose orders and must replay turns, having been logged out while issuing orders. 

Is there a setting anywhere that would impact this ?   Even on the web site, I am logged out of their forum constantly. maybe a browser setting in win 11?

my network is a Comcast business gig plus business line and the monitoring software says that it is Gucci. 

I'm asking their people about this. I am like Ian. Once I log in I remain logged in unless I close the game. I am also on Comcast, not the Gucci version though. Hopefully they can provide insight into whether it is somefink with the end user's system or somefink they can adjust.

this is a potential issue as I have been issued warnings in the past because downloading a turn more than once is not allowed. 

This should not be possible. Especially because, as I understand it,  you never download anything. The file never resides locally. It stays on their server and is loaded into the game from there. 

Never happens to me.  But I only log in via the Matrix Games system.  Could that be it?

And what happens on my end is once I send back a turn, the turn dissappears from my list of active games in PBEM ++ (unlike regular PBEM ++ turns with friends where the turn my opponent receives is still visible to me, just unplayable to me).  And when I open up another tournament game (as long as I did not exit and restart the CM game), I am still logged in and do not need to re-enter my password.

For those getting logged out right after doing a turn and then gotta re-login for another turn. Do you have AV running or using a VPN? I do recall seeing this once or twice but it sorta just went away eventually. Also making a firewall rule allowing the game through might possibly help this. But thats a long shot!

No AV or VPN. But I did come to say that I just submitted a turn on the Steam version of CMCW AND I didn't have to log back in after submitting that turn. The last time I experienced the problem was on the steam version of SF2. I'll give that a check now and I'll edit this post if I have to relog.

OK I THINK I found the issue. If I don't have my email written down in the email box, I will have to relog every time I access the multiplayer.

@BFCElvis

Yep that's the issue.

I just fixed both problems that I had earlier in the thread. My turns sent fine through the system and I also didn't have to relog. It would be good to write somewhere on the multiplayer page (For next update) that email is mandatory.

Edited by Artkin