Cold War Grand Tournament signups are open

BFCElvis

For some reason I currently only have one side of the battles turns being sent to me, @imported_TREAD_HEAD I believe we are up against each other and I am only getting my US turns showing in my PBEM folder in game I don't know if you have both sides turns showing up correctly or not? Currently I have turn 3 available to play for US and still no Soviet turn showing.

I only managed to do the first round due to my PC dying in round 2 but didn't have this issue with the holiday tourney last time not sure if anyone else has the same issue.

Edited by Suzuya

1 hour ago, Suzuya said:

For some reason I currently only have one side of the battles turns being sent to me, @imported_TREAD_HEAD I believe we are up against each other and I am only getting my US turns showing in my PBEM folder in game I don't know if you have both sides turns showing up correctly or not? Currently I have turn 3 available to play for US and still no Soviet turn showing.

I only managed to do the first round due to my PC dying in round 2 but didn't have this issue with the holiday tourney last time not sure if anyone else has the same issue.

Something I've discovered that can cause confusion. If you load a game up and just quit (no saving or clicking Go). The game will auto-create a save game anyway in your "Saved Games & PBEM" list. Thus giving the player the impression these are the files to play. Which they are not. Double check that you are loading the files from the Automated PBEM++ In Progress list. These will go through. If you play the files from the other saved games list then they go no where.

I just made this mistake myself with my Soviet setup in the CMRT tourney. Checked this with CMBN and it behaves the same way.

Also and Im a bit fuzzy on this, @BFCElvis help me out here, this also means these tourneys do not support save a turn and finish later. So save games generated either from quitting (auto saves described above) or player created saves wont get sent. I vaguely remember hearing this in the past. I just so rarely see this as once I load a battle I play it without quitting or saving it.

im discording with my oppo who said he completed turns but they did not show in my folder and I am troubleshooting with him now.

thank you to artkin and elvis.  my email has always been there.  ill keep an eye on behavior and see if i stay connected in this round.  what i suspect now is that if you have any break in connection while playing a turn, you are hosed.

thanks to our perennial champ for the instructions above.  however, this is obviously an issue for both old and new players and a more specific set of play instructions needs to be issued to support PBEM++ tournament play.

Yep joining through the PBEM++ menu and have played through a couple of my US turns now no issue i just don't have the Soviet side of the battle in my menu only my US and the previous Holiday tourney rounds which i checked just in case one of them was my Soviet side mislabled but nothing.

image.thumb.png.2ae652d0082234b00b83590aafed2142.png

1 hour ago, MeatEtr said:

Also and Im a bit fuzzy on this, @BFCElvis help me out here, this also means these tourneys do not support save a turn and finish later. So save games generated either from quitting (auto saves described above) or player created saves wont get sent. I vaguely remember hearing this in the past. I just so rarely see this as once I load a battle I play it without quitting or saving it.

This is correct. No files will ever be stored locally on your computer and work.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

This is correct. No files will ever be stored locally on your computer and work.

Ok then this should probably be part of the tourney info/instructions. Just a reminder that save and finish later isn’t supported. And to ignore any tourney files that show up in the saved games & PBEM list. I know trying to keep it short and sweet to avoid TLDR! 😅

1 hour ago, ratdeath said:

Have the same problem like some others, only playing "half" the battle in CMCW (US side).

In CMBN and CMRT both battles are showing up and turns (and bullets in CMBN) are exchanged! ;)

Try including your email when logging into the system (make sure it is the one associated with the account) with any game that is doing goofy things. We now have two users who solved slightly different problems by doing that.

23 minutes ago, IanL said:

Try including your email when logging into the system (make sure it is the one associated with the account) with any game that is doing goofy things. We now have two users who solved slightly different problems by doing that.

Email is included in the login for all CM games with PBEM+++ feature :)

Could be my opponent that have the issue, I sent him a message on the Matrix forum now.

Ok, I think I've finally got this figured out. I made sure to include my email on the login screen. Now I'm not getting logged out after clicking ok on the password screen, and as a bonus the turn (I'm still only recieving one turn) no longer appears in the PBEM In Progress folder (which I assume means that it's been sent to my opponent). To my opponent (I believe it's BennySouthSt), sorry it took me this long

On 9/13/2023 at 3:13 PM, Centurian52 said:

Hmmm, this is the first time I've caught a tournament announcement while signups were still open. Having never fought a human opponent before, I expect to do poorly. It should be fun nonetheless.

I have never played in a tournament before and may be interest next round. 

I was looking at the scoring on Matrix’s site and was curious as to how that is determined?

I attached screenshots for reference. If someone could pick one of the scores from that image and explain to me how that score is calculated that would be much appreciated!

IMG_9168.png

2 hours ago, Da_General said:

I have never played in a tournament before and may be interest next round. 

I was looking at the scoring on Matrix’s site and was curious as to how that is determined?

I attached screenshots for reference. If someone could pick one of the scores from that image and explain to me how that score is calculated that would be much appreciated!

IMG_9168.png

I think it gives 1 pt to the winner of a single turn. Which is determined by who got most kills for that turn. It’s kinda meaningless since the scores get reverted in the end to the in-game score. Win or lose you get far more points for finishing the battles.

If you have more kills in a turn you get 3 points and your opponent gets 1 point. If nothing happens it is 0-0. Presume it is same 0-0 for a tie in kills which might be rare if they score kills based on values of units (e.g., tank vs. X soldiers).

I always thought it an odd way to score and figure it would be more logical to do it the soccer way.  3-0 for a win, 1-1 for a tie, and for CM 0-0 if no casualties in a turn.

17 hours ago, Bannon said:

I wish I had seen this tournament before today. Are these announced somewhere I could monitor?

BTW, I just completed a PBEM of Valley of Ashes and it was one of my most enjoyable battles yet. A whole lotta dying occurred on both sides!

Both Battlefront and Matrix announce them on our forums about 2 weeks before the tournaments start. They are also announced on Steam.

On 9/29/2023 at 12:49 PM, Centurian52 said:

Is there any way to contact my opponent? They may have gotten discouraged by how long it took me to send the first turn. It would be nice to get this battle started.

The best thing is to see if they can be reached on the Battlefront or Matrix forums.