The Obsessive Cartographer - Another Map in the Works?

After declaring my retirement from making any more maps and scenarios for CMBN, I decided to put my feet up and start playing through a few scenarios and campaigns. I chose three that were thematically related and started to play. All three were supposedly historical or based on historical events. I found that I disliked all three due to the significant degree to which they deviated from fact both in mapping and OOBs. One was understandable because it was based on an ASL  scenario which was a derivative of the historical event. I decided to tinker with the small ASL version to bring it more in line with known historical facts but one thing led to another and now ... surprise ... I have another map in the works. Another of my huge 3248 m x 2128 m 'historicals'.  It would be more correct to say 'my interpretation' of the resources available to me constrained by the Scenario Editor's Lego-like construction set.

It is about 65% complete at this time. Another month of full-time work should finish it. I will give an occasional hint here at what is coming. If over the next little while you happend to guess what area I am mapping, I will  send you a screenie of the work in progress.

Hint #1: It is an overly huge map for what was initially an otherwise tiny event.

And PEB14 - you can't add your guess 'cuz you already know the answer. 😉

17 hours ago, WimO said:

After declaring my retirement from making any more maps and scenarios for CMBN, I decided to put my feet up and start playing through a few scenarios and campaigns. I chose three that were thematically related and started to play. All three were supposedly historical or based on historical events. I found that I disliked all three due to the significant degree to which they deviated from fact both in mapping and OOBs. One was understandable because it was based on an ASL  scenario which was a derivative of the historical event. I decided to tinker with the small ASL version to bring it more in line with known historical facts but one thing led to another and now ... surprise ... I have another map in the works. Another of my huge 3248 m x 2128 m 'historicals'.  It would be more correct to say 'my interpretation' of the resources available to me constrained by the Scenario Editor's Lego-like construction set.

It is about 65% complete at this time. Another month of full-time work should finish it. I will give an occasional hint here at what is coming. If over the next little while you happend to guess what area I am mapping, I will  send you a screenie of the work in progress.

Hint #1: It is an overly huge map for what was initially an otherwise tiny event.

And PEB14 - you can't add your guess 'cuz you already know the answer. 😉

I knew it. It's like Vermeer announcing he's bored with painting milkmaids. 😀

Great news, Wim.

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, WimO said:

Hint #2: The map covers a D-Day event and includes water.

A big thanks to you Wim to created as much as you can as well so good as you can, the aspect of DDay time, really appreciated guys like you that spend time to details.

2 hours ago, PEB14 said:

🤨

Are you sure?…

Yes, but I should not have said "ships". I should have said "boats", as in fishing boats or small commerical boats. The source said that there used to be a dock until ....

3 hours ago, WimO said:

Yes, but I should not have said "ships". I should have said "boats", as in fishing boats or small commerical boats. The source said that there used to be a dock until ....

For sure their might have been one… But if we are thinking of the same village, it doesn't seem to derive its name from it. According to MY sources ! 😇

But you've got to provide yet another hint, Phil seems to be in great mood !

19 minutes ago, WimO said:

The reskin is Falaise's work.

Hint #6: Nearby is an old chateau which in 1944 was being used as a maternity hospital.

Chateau.jpg

Very nice, in this way we will have with the time a "complete" urbanisation with umlaut help, for village, town, with factories farms, cemetery, churches, castles, market, train station, grocery, police station (Gestapo), school differents stores...

Edited by JM Stuff

1 hour ago, JM Stuff said:

Very nice, in this way we will have with the time a "complete" urbanisation with umlaut help, for village, town, with factories farms, cemetery, churches, castles, market, train station, grocery, police station (Gestapo), school differents stores...

The large church reskin was by Falaise, the chapel is by Tanks a Lot, the other building skins are mine.

3 hours ago, WimO said:

The large church reskin was by Falaise, the chapel is by Tanks a Lot, the other building skins are mine.

Everybodys give theirs signs for a common cause...a propos buildings in the editor :

Can we put on a map a specific building that we choose, I.e. building 100, a barn or whatever ?

In the editor we have only 

House

Commercial

Barn

Church

With lots of sizes and directions...

How do you recognized that these buildings have already a mod (a new roof or whatever)?

Edit, In the editor, if you want to modding a building how do you see that is the correct building that you choose ?

Edited by JM Stuff

27 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Can we put on a map a specific building that we choose, I.e. building 100, a barn or whatever ?

How do you recognized that these buildings have already a mod (a new roof or whatever)?

Edit, In the editor, if you want to modding a building how do you see that is the correct building that you choose ?

Yes you can put a specific building on the map.  First choose and place a building in the 2D map view of the editor. Next go into 3D view and go to the building. You can then cycle through the whole collection of skins for the building by simultaneously pressing SHIFT and Left Mouse Click.

You can see if a building has been mod-tagged by viewing its bitmap image in Windows File Explorer. If it has been mod-tagged this will appear in square brackets in the name. For example, "door 1 [holland].bmp".

BTW, all the Normandy buildings that I mod-tagged have also been provided without mod-tags.