The Obsessive Cartographer - Another Map in the Works?

11 minutes ago, WimO said:

Yes you can put a specific building on the map.  First choose and place a building in the 2D map view of the editor. Next go into 3D view and go to the building. You can then cycle through the whole collection of skins for the building by simultaneously pressing SHIFT and Left Mouse Click.

You can see if a building has been mod-tagged by viewing its bitmap image in Windows File Explorer. If it has been mod-tagged this will appear in square brackets in the name. For example, "door 1 [holland].bmp".

BTW, all the Normandy buildings that I mod-tagged have also been provided without mod-tags.

Ok thanks !

1 hour ago, PEB14 said:

I created a pdf file to show the look of the buildings I use to creat my CMBN maps: WimO's, Tank-a-lot's, Falaise, Juju's,… Lot of variation, all great buildings!

Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k643ln3cyde5nlh/CMBN Modded features.pdf?dl=0

Oh good job, and very helpfull, thanks to spend your time to all detailled, this pdf is a must to understand and compare and a good tools for moddders.

Good luck with yours maps !

About Hint #7: The sign on the building reads, "CAFE GONDREE, Buffet, Restaurant".  Search on the family name Gondree. Mme Gondree transmitted detailed information about the German defences in the area to Mme Lea Vion, Directrice of the maternity hospital who co-ordinated French resistance intelligence activities in the area.

29 minutes ago, WimO said:

About Hint #7: The sign on the building reads, "CAFE GONDREE, Buffet, Restaurant".  Search on the family name Gondree. Mme Gondree transmitted detailed information about the German defences in the area to Mme Lea Vion, Directrice of the maternity hospital who co-ordinated French resistance intelligence activities in the area.

Café Gondrée ! With a "é", like éléphant! 😜

31 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Café Gondrée ! With a "é", like éléphant! 😜

Merci beaucoup. On my building reskin I did include the accent on the Café but neglected it on the family name. That has been corrected this minute. It will appear correctly in the map.

Edited by WimO

In Conclusion: The map is large and covers both the Benouville and Ranville bridges (Pegasus and Horsa), the town of Benouville including the suburb of Le Port, the Chateau de Benouville, and east of the Orne as far as Ranville and most of DZ/LZ N. Today I am working on "building" the town of Ranville. It is half complete. I have yet to start building le Haut de Ranville and le Bas de Ranville. The grounds are done but no buildings yet.

The plan is to created individual free-standing historical scenarios, an historical campaign, a series of hypothetical "what if the airlanding failed" scenarios, and the map alone for quick battle enthusiasts.

I have approached this map a bit different than my earlier historicals. In this instance I have deviated from exact fit of features and distorted the map more to straighten roads and reduce the amount of saw tooth effect. There is only a little distortion on the Benouville side but more around Ranville. Countour lines have been adjusted to flow with the distortion because I did not want roads that were in a valley to suddenly appear on a hill, for example. There is much that the Scenario Editor cannot reproduce.

I have relied on aerial photos taken before and after the Operation as well as the usual aerials taken from 1950 on. I noted that the allies added a pontoon bridge and created new roads across the terrain. These were ignored as was the Ranville soldier's cemetery created in the 1940s.  

46 minutes ago, WimO said:

Merci beaucoup. On my building reskin I did include the accent on the Café but neglected it on the family name. That has been corrected this minute. It will appear correctly in the map.

Will it appear for Bénouville as well?  😇

I like to annoy our native-english speaking friends with accents... 😁

And for those who don't like it... Just try the Czech language ! 😆

33 minutes ago, WimO said:

I always feel bad omitting the French accents. I just do not know how to use the keyboard to make them appear and more so how to make them appear in CMBN. I really need to learn.

For landmarks it appears to work without any issue. For text file one must take care of the text format.

Here is excellent news!!
@WimO makes the most "Norman" maps that I have seen in the whole game, he has a kind of absolute eye for seeing the details that will make the Norman maps ultra realistic, I cannot understand how a Dutchman installed in Canada can have such accuracy in its realization... (je suis jaloux)
I sometimes walk on these maps in winter to have the feeling of being in June or July
I already told him but I reiterate my assertion he is a brilliant artist

4 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Will it appear for Bénouville as well?  😇

I like to annoy our native-english speaking friends with accents... 😁

And for those who don't like it... Just try the Czech language ! 😆

humm he's a maniac !!!
@PEB14 must be a teacher "instit or prof"
don't let yourself be fooled otherwise he will make you copy a hundred times

"Je n’oublie pas de mettre un  accent là ou c’est nécessaire ." 😁

@Falaise Thank you for your kind words. My cartes de Normandie could not look as good as they do without your "Norman stone" church and doodads for Juin, Juillet et Aout as well as so many terrain, vegetation, building, structures and flavor objects mods contributed by so many other talented modders. It is truly a collaborative community effort. Today I have received French translations of all of my Mission Boston text files from PEB14 and am in the process of installing these. I expect to upload the French version of my campaign by the end of the week. 

Edited by WimO

31 minutes ago, Falaise said:

humm he's a maniac !!!
@PEB14 must be a teacher "instit or prof"
don't let yourself be fooled otherwise he will make you copy a hundred times

"Je n’oublie pas de mettre un  accent là ou c’est nécessaire ." 😁

I won't ask that to @WimO, he's a very good student !😆

And yes, I'm a maniac ! 🤪 But no, I'm no teacher ! 🥸