Javelin's Won't Fire

Playing the defensive mission "Opening Encounter" I have my javelin teams in several 2nd story buildings. They have full vision of the incoming T-72's but don't fire at them, the tanks roll closer and take them out one by one. Using armor targeting, direct targeting or simply letting them decide yields nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Do they have ammunition? Are you using target arcs?

Does the javelin gunner have visibility on the tanks? Not via the target tool, since that's unit-level, I mean the actual javelin gunner.

Does the second floor have windows in the direction of incoming armour?

Is the team set on "hide"? They will not open fire in this state until they are engaged, unless you use a target arc and the enemy enters it.

What version are you playing on? 

Edited by Grey_Fox

9 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

Do they have ammunition? Are you using target arcs?

Does the javelin gunner have visibility on the tanks? Not via the target tool, since that's unit-level, I mean the actual javelin gunner.

Does the second floor have windows in the direction of incoming armour?

Is the team set on "hide"? They will not open fire in this state until they are engaged, unless you use a target arc and the enemy enters it.

What version are you playing on? 

Yes to all of these, although I'm not exactly sure how to gauge the sight of a single pixeltruppen, but I do have a blue line on the target tool. I'm playing on the very latest version.

Javelins have a *minimum* distance. The missiles need space to get out of the tube and lock on the target. They won't fire if the target is too close to them.

Make sure they have line of sight to the target beyond 65m, ideally beyond 150m. Get inside that and they may not be able to shoot.

Also, Javelin is not something that just shoots like a rifle or AT-4. It takes a little time for the control unit to find and lock into the target before it can shoot. So you need to be looking at the target for enough time to make a shot without getting shot by the enemy. Add to that, the control unit takes time to set up and cool down the thermal sight before it will even function - so make sure to deploy the javelin if you're trying to make time critical fast shots.

Edited by Blackhorse15A

15 hours ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

Yes to all of these, although I'm not exactly sure how to gauge the sight of a single pixeltruppen, but I do have a blue line on the target tool. I'm playing on the very latest version.

So the troops are set to "hide", correct? If so, that's why they didn't open fire a javelin, assuming the enemy tank was outside the minimum range of the Javelin. 

Also, it takes about 10-15 seconds for a gunner to go through the firing cycle of a javelin, from initial identification to targeting to firing.

Edited by Grey_Fox

12 hours ago, Blackhorse15A said:

so make sure to deploy the javelin if you're trying to make time critical fast shots.

You can not deploy a Javelin in Combat mission like you would with a machine gun or other, more static atgm. From a gameplay perspective it is always ready to fire (besides the 10 to 15 seconds lock on time). There is no dedicated "deploy" button. 

Maybe you mean something like the soviet AT7 that has a tripod for more accurate shooting but can be fired from the shoulder too if necessary.

I would like to have a save game too to have a better look on the matter. 

I had it once that one Javelin gunner wouldn't fire because he would constantly move without ever coming to a halt. Probably he tried to find a good firing solution and was caught in a loop. 

But I find it highly questionable that multiple Javelin teams deny their duty. 

The soldiers are in a two-story house trying to target a T-72b that is 900 meters away. They are not hiding, they have windows and full view of the tank. Is it possible because I gave all four of them at4's and the Javelin launcher is "hidden" that they can't use it? Too much equipment, perhaps?

Here's my save plus the scenario. Not sure if this is modded or not. 

Save = https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhksaukeeiztm9c/Opening Encounter (Javelins).bts?dl=0

Scenario = https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9208snulajjgjf/Opening Encounter.btt?dl=0

3 hours ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

The soldiers are in a two-story house trying to target a T-72b that is 900 meters away. They are not hiding, they have windows and full view of the tank. Is it possible because I gave all four of them at4's and the Javelin launcher is "hidden" that they can't use it? Too much equipment, perhaps?

Here's my save plus the scenario. Not sure if this is modded or not. 

Save = https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhksaukeeiztm9c/Opening Encounter (Javelins).bts?dl=0

Scenario = https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9208snulajjgjf/Opening Encounter.btt?dl=0

is the 4th section/1 scout plt the one you are talking about? 

7 minutes ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

is the 4th section/1 scout plt the one you are talking about? 

Yep! 4th section/3rd section of 1st platoon as well as 3rd section of 3rd platoon. None of them fire. I feel like it might have something to do with the javelin gunner having an AT4 on his back.

Edited by Anonymous_Jonze

5 minutes ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

I can do some test tomorrow, but how did you get the Javelin gunner loaded with AT4? 

Also, does split the team help?

In the deployment phase all of 4 man scout teams were in Humvees. I was able to acquire the AT4's from them. 

You can't split this 4 man team up.

There is a split team option for the 4 men scout team.

but yes, you are right, looks like the AT4 stopped the Javelin deployment. 

And I thought the one with Javelin ATGM launcher will refuse to take the AT4 from HMMWV. Wrong!   Looks like we got to be very very careful about this in the future.

3 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

There is a split team option for the 4 men scout team.

but yes, you are right, looks like the AT4 stopped the Javelin deployment. 

And I thought the one with Javelin ATGM launcher will refuse to take the AT4 from HMMWV. Wrong!   Looks like we got to be very very careful about this in the future.

Right? This almost seems like it needs to be patched out. Really threw a wrench in my plan!