Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

5 minutes ago, Grigb said:

I did not posted the map as there is no significant changes from the previous one. There were pushes and counter pushes. But so far situation is the same.

• Rylsk direction - Korenevo and Glushkovo are firmly in RU hands but road from Korenevo to Rylsk looks vulnerable.
  • Lgov direction - Looks like Kromskie Buki stopped being RU strongpoint. Now the main strongpoint is somewhere in Lgov outskirts. UKR however do not control Kromskie Buki. Their forward strongpoint is somewhere at Malaya Loknya and RU can drive strong force up to it.
  • Kurchatov direction - Bolshoye Soldatskoye is firmly in RU hands but Martynovka is grey area (as it was)
  • Oboyan direction - so far Belitsa is RU strongpoint with temporal forward position at Nizhnemakhovo. Ulanok is grey area.

There is new report that the new unconfirmed UKR attack toward Belya is actually two attacks - one toward Belya and second one is flanking attack toward Belitsa (the same Belitsa I wrote in comment above).

Zelensky acknowledges Ukraine has pushed into Russian territory. 

Today, I received several reports from Commander-in-Chief Syrskyi regarding the frontlines, our actions, and the push to drive the war onto the aggressor’s territory. I thank every unit of our Defense Forces that is making this possible. Ukraine is proving that it truly knows how to restore justice and applies the necessary pressure on the aggressor.

I would also like to thank our partners—everyone who made this week successful in implementing sanctions against Russia and those associated with it. This needs to be felt every week—that sanctions are indeed working, and anyone who tries to circumvent them faces a response from the world. We are preparing new measures to further limit the Russian state.

I’m grateful for the new defense packages for Ukraine—this week, we received an American package, including missiles for Stingers, ammunition for HIMARS, and 155 mm artillery shells. We are working to ensure timely logistics so that this aid is felt on the frontlines as quickly as possible.

We are also eagerly awaiting decisions on long-range capabilities from the United States, the United Kingdom, and France—strong decisions that will bring us closer to a just peace.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1822340144868843776

5 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

These are extremely important, and very troubling developments, assuming factually accurate (even if 'Russian industry' is just assembling imported Chinese components, as seems most likely).

I have been worried about this since summer 2022. The Orla/Zala class drones are one of the linchpins of the infrastructure that Russia needs to fight this war. And as Haiduk just mentioned they have actually been getting both more numerous, and much better at using the ISR they provide. I am not saying that pushing them back is going to win the war, But it is a meaningful swing in the long term balance of forces. And unlike shooting at them with Western SAMS, FPVs seem sustainable. So Russia is going to have to actually come up with counter above and beyond higher production rates to shift the balance back the other way.

Edited by dan/california

34 minutes ago, Grigb said:

RU claim

[EDIT] RU Nat segment is buzzing. There are claims of UKR attacks in several areas of Belgorod region and there are counter claims that deny most of them.

Looks like UKR are shelling a lot of RU places with several skirmishes along the border. The above is the most credible claim at the moment.

RU is downgrading claim - from Brigade to mech platoon with 2 tanks. 

5 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

These are extremely important, and very troubling developments, assuming factually accurate (even if 'Russian industry' is just assembling imported Chinese components, as seems most likely).

Some critical chips and parts are both Chinese and Taiwanese/Western. But they are trying to copy them and start producing locally with mixed results so far.

1 minute ago, Grigb said:

RU is downgrading claim - from Brigade to mech platoon with 2 tanks. 

🤣😂😆🙃

Separately, it is worth pointing out the Russian regime is dealing with two shocks at once here. In addition to the Ukrainian actions in Kursk, and possibly elsewhere. There is the sudden change in the U.S. political situation. For months Putin has been able to tell people they just have to hold on until November, and Trump will take the pressure off of them. That assumption is looking worse by the day, and the news about it isn't exactly hard to find. Ukraine has turned up the short term pressure at the exact moment when long term relief is becoming, at minimum, much less of a sure thing. This could spike the pressure in the the Russian elite, by quite a lot. I said could, not will...

6 hours ago, billbindc said:

What you don't have in Russia yet is any sign of slipping control on the street. Yes, the elites are maneuvering and the coup-ish attempt was a big deal but all of the evidence so far points to a strong sense of apathy in the public at large. Even Tsarist Russia was a more engaged political state than modern Russia is with a crowded ideological field from Greens to Reds to the Four Pillars of the state (Black Hundreds, anyone?). Nothing like that exists now. If something happens, it's much more likely going to be simple exhaustion of force generation and perhaps units just refusing to fight leading to elite reshuffling and retrenchment.

I agree.  Apathy is the hallmark of the Russian people, not ideological opposition to regime.  Which means, in a sense, that apathy *is* their ideology.  Russians have a belief system that as long as they aren't hauled away to fight in a war they don't care about, or have their personal economic situation degraded to the point of being homeless and/or hungry, then things are stable. 

The_Capt was suggesting that the blowback from this raid might shake people out of their apathy and have them rally around the flag.  I disagree.  I think they only care about their personal lives and they will not suddenly start caring because a bunch of border villages are taken over by some Ukrainians.

What I'm getting at here is that Russians are apathetic up to the point of their personal lives being turned upside down.  The 1st partial mobilization was the *ONLY* sign we have had, thus far, of mass unhappiness with the regime.  Putin seems to understand this and we've certainly talked about it plenty of times here.  A widespread, significant economic downturn may have the same impact.

The relevance to what The_Capt said is that I don't see any blowback happening.  I see the same risks to the regime if it goes for another partial mobilization as we've discussed since the last one.  Maybe even worse since people's economic security is under stress.

Steve

37 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

I agree.  Apathy is the hallmark of the Russian people, not ideological opposition to regime.  Which means, in a sense, that apathy *is* their ideology.  Russians have a belief system that as long as they aren't hauled away to fight in a war they don't care about, or have their personal economic situation degraded to the point of being homeless and/or hungry, then things are stable. 

The_Capt was suggesting that the blowback from this raid might shake people out of their apathy and have them rally around the flag.  I disagree.  I think they only care about their personal lives and they will not suddenly start caring because a bunch of border villages are taken over by some Ukrainians.

What I'm getting at here is that Russians are apathetic up to the point of their personal lives being turned upside down.  The 1st partial mobilization was the *ONLY* sign we have had, thus far, of mass unhappiness with the regime.  Putin seems to understand this and we've certainly talked about it plenty of times here.  A widespread, significant economic downturn may have the same impact.

The relevance to what The_Capt said is that I don't see any blowback happening.  I see the same risks to the regime if it goes for another partial mobilization as we've discussed since the last one.  Maybe even worse since people's economic security is under stress.

Steve

I think the potential blowback from this operation will be the Russian population dealing with a growing number of young conscripts getting killed. Much like Ukraine 20-30 year olds are the most valuable demographic and seeing them getting torn to pieces is going to be rather a shock. Of course conscripts have died already, but officially at least conscripts are not to be performing combat operations outside of Russian borders (this has included the annexed oblasts to an extent) Its clear cut here in terms of legality, young conscripts can and will be used in Kursk which means they will be getting hurt / killed. (its already happened) I wonder if this might have more of a knock on effect over time with regards to internal pressure. 

Edited by ArmouredTopHat

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

My only question on this is - if Russia is so apathetic, what is keeping 500k troops in the field after such horrendous losses?  I agree that Russians seem to give zero f#cks about this war, but enough of them either do believe, or simply want the money to keep the RA in this game far longer than I think anyone expected. Something in Russian society is keeping the RA in this war and we know it is not entirely conscription.  My guess is that there is still a nationalist impulse in Russia that is being exploited by Putin and his regime. Sustaining a field force of a half million in a war is not a light load for a society to bear.

In reality there are likely elements of both - some are totally apathetic while some are ardent nationalist.  A raid such as this may (and I stress may) risk driving support into the same section of Russia society that is sustaining it right now.  Even if it makes those who want to sign up for cash more interested.  Conversely, it may show the average Russian just how much of a clown show this is and drive them away….tricky.  No society of fully homogeneous, the question is what does this action do for or against those elements in Russian society with respect to this war?

I guess we will see. It may make things better, worse or have no real impact.

It might be stating the obvious, but Russia is a massive country with something like 150 million people. Even if only 1% of them were die-hard nationalists, it would be enough to man this special military operation.

its money. https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2024/07/30/russian-regions-hike-military-sign-up-payments-in-bid-to-boost-manpower-for-ukraine-war-a85864

if im not mistaken, only contract soldiers are fighting in Ukraine, conscripts do not fight in the SMO anymore. 

While military contracts with the Russian army promise monthly earnings of around 200,000 rubles ($2,166) — about 2.4 times higher than the average salary in Russia — some regions have also recently increased the one-time payments to those recruited.

In Moscow, Mayor Sergei Sobyanin increased the one-time payment a soldier could receive to 1.9 million rubles ($22,353) in addition to his monthly salary. In the Chelyabinsk region, one-time payments have been doubled, with a soldier getting some 705,000 rubles ($8,233) for signing a military contract. In the Yamal-Nenets autonomous district, one receives a sum around 14 times higher than Russia’s average salary — 1.1 million rubles ($12,964) — after signing a military contract.

The Moscow and Leningrad regions also lure men to join the army by highlighting the total amount of money, including all payments and salaries, they can receive for one year of military service — 5.3 million rubles ($60,592) and at least 3 million ($34,955), respectively.

At least 51 Russian regions have increased payments for signing military contracts at least once since the start of the war in Ukraine, the independent Novaya Gazeta Europe news website reported last month.

2 hours ago, ArmouredTopHat said:

I think the potential blowback from this operation will be the Russian population dealing with a growing number of young conscripts getting killed. Much like Ukraine 20-30 year olds are the most valuable demographic and seeing them getting torn to pieces is going to be rather a shock. Of course conscripts have died already, but officially at least conscripts are not to be performing combat operations outside of Russian borders (this has included the annexed oblasts to an extent) Its clear cut here in terms of legality, young conscripts can and will be used in Kursk which means they will be getting hurt / killed. (its already happened) I wonder if this might have more of a knock on effect over time with regards to internal pressure. 

Agreed.  I've been waiting to see something about the conscripts.  It was very obvious from the start that Ukraine would run into significant numbers of them.  Seeing reports that Russian commanders threw them into battle is good to see.

The thing is, rationally the conscripts shouldn't be protected from combat duties.  They are supposedly soldiers and, well, combat is kinda supposed to be a part of being a soldier.  But this is Russia and the social contract between the government and the populace about conscripts is complicated.

Unless the Russian people have reached their breaking point, I don't think this will do anything immediate.  We saw what they were like in winter of 2022 and when the Moskva was sunk with a large number of conscripts onboard. Some grumbling, but not much more than that.

Steve

1 hour ago, The_Capt said:

My only question on this is - if Russia is so apathetic, what is keeping 500k troops in the field after such horrendous losses?  I agree that Russians seem to give zero f#cks about this war, but enough of them either do believe, or simply want the money to keep the RA in this game far longer than I think anyone expected. Something in Russian society is keeping the RA in this war and we know it is not entirely conscription.  My guess is that there is still a nationalist impulse in Russia that is being exploited by Putin and his regime. Sustaining a field force of a half million in a war is not a light load for a society to bear.

In reality there are likely elements of both - some are totally apathetic while some are ardent nationalist.  A raid such as this may (and I stress may) risk driving support into the same section of Russia society that is sustaining it right now.  Even if it makes those who want to sign up for cash more interested.  Conversely, it may show the average Russian just how much of a clown show this is and drive them away….tricky.  No society of fully homogeneous, the question is what does this action do for or against those elements in Russian society with respect to this war?

As Alison said, with a country that large you will definitely have a numerically large pool of nationalists willing.  But really, it's money.  We've been monitoring that since the start of the war.  And when money isn't enough, more money is offered.

Think about the US.  If the government asked for volunteers to round up "Mexicans" and send them "back to where they came from" there would be a pretty big number willing to do it without compensation.  And if that wasn't enough, then $40k a year would get a lot more.  If that wasn't enough, $80k a year would probably do the trick.  But if that still wasn't enough, $100k certainly would.  But only the first batch or two would be the type you'd expect to do this sort of work.  The last batches would mostly be people doing it to "feed my family" instead of ideological beliefs.

As I stated before, I do not think the raid will do anything significant to change the viewpoint of the Russian populace.  Will it shake a few previously reluctant Russians to sign up to fight the evil Ukrainians?  Sure.  But that's not what I would call blowback.  Puffback? 🙂

Steve

48 minutes ago, FancyCat said:

if im not mistaken, only contract soldiers are fighting in Ukraine, conscripts do not fight in the SMO anymore. 

Conscripts were NEVER supposed to fight in the SMO at all.  Since Russia didn't expect Ukraine to fight, a significant number did go over the border in Feb/March.  That was quickly ended with Putin making a very public statement about this.  It was pretty much obeyed.  Then followed a period of time where conscripts were tricked and/or intimidated into becoming contract soldiers.  That seemed to have faded with the horrific casualties in the summer of 2022. Then there was the partial mobilization and then various nefarious things done to keep the survivors in the SMO.  Other than that, though, it is pretty much straight forward bribery with money that's getting people to sign contract.

Steve

1 hour ago, The_Capt said:

They're probably a myriad of reasons why Russians don't just stop fighting. I'm sure most people believe in what they're doing, even if they don't understand it completely. There's nobody over there to show them why they're wrong. You have Russian activists, sure, but they're not reaching the people living outside of Moscow or St. Petersburg. Another thing to keep in mind is that only some 1 in 7 households in Russia have a working toilet. So there's a high incentive to join voluntarily instead of waiting to be conscripted, or move into the occupied territories. The bonuses the Russian government advertises could potentially change the trajectory of the lives of someone's entire family. I would be very interested to see whether or not the Russian Government follows through on that after the War's over. 

58 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

As Alison said, with a country that large you will definitely have a numerically large pool of nationalists willing.  But really, it's money.  We've been monitoring that since the start of the war.  And when money isn't enough, more money is offered.

Think about the US.  If the government asked for volunteers to round up "Mexicans" and send them "back to where they came from" there would be a pretty big number willing to do it without compensation.  And if that wasn't enough, then $40k a year would get a lot more.  If that wasn't enough, $80k a year would probably do the trick.  But if that still wasn't enough, $100k certainly would.  But only the first batch or two would be the type you'd expect to do this sort of work.  The last batches would mostly be people doing it to "feed my family" instead of ideological beliefs.

As I stated before, I do not think the raid will do anything significant to change the viewpoint of the Russian populace.  Will it shake a few previously reluctant Russians to sign up to fight the evil Ukrainians?  Sure.  But that's not what I would call blowback.  Puffback? 🙂

Steve

2 hours ago, The_Capt said:

17 minutes ago, amadeupname said:

They're probably a myriad of reasons why Russians don't just stop fighting. I'm sure most people believe in what they're doing, even if they don't understand it completely. There's nobody over there to show them why they're wrong. You have Russian activists, sure, but they're not reaching the people living outside of Moscow or St. Petersburg. Another thing to keep in mind is that only some 1 in 7 households in Russia have a working toilet. So there's a high incentive to join voluntarily instead of waiting to be conscripted, or move into the occupied territories. The bonuses the Russian government advertises could potentially change the trajectory of the lives of someone's entire family. I would be very interested to see whether or not the Russian Government follows through on that after the War's over. 

A_made_up_name gets a at a lot of of the issue. But I think is a cultural thing happening that really effects the Kremlins ability to keep digging this hole deeper. For at least ten years, and I can make arguments twenty years, thirty years, eighty years and a thousand years, ~70% of the Russian population has been told to drink themselves to death as quietly as possible, and to not even consider making a ruckus about the deal on offer. Now there have been a few times the system of oppression failed briefly, and wound up with new people in charge, but the for 96% of the time that is how Russia has worked. 

What the war has done is make the Moscow Principate, otherwise known as the Putin Regime, go to every city, town, and village in Russia, tell the people there that they matter, and dump money EVERYWHERE by the train car load. Until the inevitable hyper inflation kicks in this is actually a pretty good deal for a lot of the Russian population. Not because it IS a good deal, but it is a better one than dying in alcoholic penury while being to scared to make a peep. 

Now of course the hyperinflation IS going to kick in, and it is Rubles becoming useful only for toilet paper that will bring the party to catastrophic halt.

Edited by dan/california

3 hours ago, The_Capt said:

Apathy in the political sense. There simply isn't much in the way of mobilizing political ideology at work in the Russian polity. Folks who are fighting are doing so for money or because they didn't have the wherewithal or contacts to avoid it. Nor...perhaps more importantly..do they have any sort of framework that would provide a reason to resist. It's "fight for Mother Russia <faint 'urrah'>" and your wife collects the check. This is a Russia that a classical education in the country has trouble wrapping its head around given it's history from 1905 to 1992. The ability to mobilize, both political and physical, has declined to the point where Moscow can barely articulate what it's doing in Ukraine now and quite literally dares not declare a general military mobilization. Stalin's Russia this is very much not.

5 hours ago, The_Capt said:

My only question on this is - if Russia is so apathetic, what is keeping 500k troops in the field after such horrendous losses?

As one RU soldier said - in assault you might survive (get wounded and be evacuated). Trying to get back will get you killed you for sure.

In other words they have nowhere to go. Even if they somehow get back home they would not stay there for long. They will be caught and tortured in prison to motivate them to get back to war.

• Experts - RU have unlimited forces to defeat any incursion
  • Also experts - both armies are  tired and miserable

RU infatry instructor

Having opened another operational direction by breaking into the territory of the Kursk region, the enemy naturally extended the general line of contact. The lengthening of the front line requires appropriate forces. The enemy gathered such forces and struck. He struck very successfully, he has enough strength to develop and consolidate success, the depletion of the enemy's potential in the Kursk direction has not yet been observed.

On our side reserves continue to flow to the direction. At the same time, the forces involved continue to be insufficient even for realible stabilization of the situation, not to mention the defeat of the enemy group. There are not enough of them not only quantitatively, but also qualitatively. Enemy have well-equipped units and formations. So far, we have a combined hodgepodge and total patchwork build from firefighting teams [ad hoc QRF], and they are meager in number.

I do not want to judge our units and formations from strategic reserve, but, as the events of these few days have shown, we do not have a lot of operational reserves at all - reserves are being transferred from other sectors of the front to stop the crisis, and not only from the nearest Kharkov direction, but also from other directions (including those in which our troops have had at least some limited success in the last few months), thus further weakening our already thin lines in these areas.

By definition, the reserves arriving from other areas are mostly incomplete due to current losses. These losses are often quite high due to the unsuitable organization of combat with poorly prepared attacks as part of a strategy that requires an offensive in all possible areas. Plus, not all units and formations can be pulled out completely from other directions, since they are directly involved in offensive actions. As a result, instead of initially complete formations and unit of the enemy's grouping, we largely have a scattering of bits and pieces of weakened BTGRs of the summer of 2022.

Let's add the advantage of the enemy in military technical means (including communication systems and UAVs), organizational structures (primarily in seprated units and formation of strike UAVs) and a flexible operational management system that allows them to adequately respond to changes in the situation and timely inflict fire damage on identified targets, and we get a definite assessment of the activities of our higher the military leadership, including, first of all, chief of general staff Gerasimov.

RU has 3 allies - RU Army, RU Navy and gullible westerners who believe RU do have Army and Navy.