Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Let's say a 1000km front covered by 24 interceptors every 10km.  That's 24,000 interceptors in inventory at any one time.  Anything that increases costs of these interceptors, therefore, has a massive cascading impact on the total cost of fielding the system.

The beauty of this system is that you don't need 100 new dedicated "UAS interceptor" units stood up and supported.  Instead, future fontline battalions will have their own organic UAS unit for all drone needs, including ISR and attack functions.  Having this unit travel with a suitcase full of interceptors is a no-brainer.  Especially because their ISR will already be tied into some sort of higher level network.

A lot of the specifics depend on information we are guessing about. Not least the size and cost of the current interceptors. Detection ranges, rate of climb, and endurance also matter. If you can wait to launch a kamikaze drone until you have a reasonably solid contact, then the drone doesn't need any of stuff required for a two way mission. If they are cheap enough to just have them self destruct if they don't find a target, like wise. But if they are sort of expensive and take a long time to reach operating altitude it could go the other way. You would have to be running race tracks of them all the time to ensure adequate coverage, and that could get expensive quickly if they were 100% disposable. The current FPV drones seem to be unsafe to set the fuse once, they certainly don't try to bring them back. 

If you need continuous racetracks reusability might be worth the very real hassles and expense.

If you want racetracks, you might as well have an Orlan-10 analouge like I suggested pages ago, and they payload is 4x500g interceptors. You’ll get 6+ hours endurance, 100km plus cruise speed, and you can mount some decent antennas on it and make it like a mini AWACs.

5 hours ago, Letter from Prague said:

I mean we kinda knew, but now he stated it outright.

I don't think NATO will survive 2025, nor will Taiwan.

Except he didn't actually say it 'outright'.  Here is what he actually said (should start at the relevant point (31:30ish) so you don't need to watch more than necessary) - he was talking about runaway federal spending in general and it's hard to know what he means exactly by saying the conflict in Ukraine would be 'settled' before he gets into office.  I can't actually see a situation where all US funding to Ukraine gets entirely cut off - however, I can see a situation where it's reduced.  Why don't we wait and see if he actually gets elected first and then talk about what he actually does if he does get elected.  You're also worried about the wrong guy when it comes to China and Iran.  No, we really don't want to go there lol.  It would be very unpleasant for a lot of forum readers.

32 minutes ago, ASL Veteran said:

You're also worried about the wrong guy when it comes to China and Iran.  No, we really don't want to go there lol.  It would be very unpleasant for a lot of forum readers.

If you can find and post a coherent foreign policy statement from this candidate, I will buy you a beer.

1 hour ago, ASL Veteran said:

Except he didn't actually say it 'outright'.  Here is what he actually said (should start at the relevant point (31:30ish) so you don't need to watch more than necessary) - he was talking about runaway federal spending in general and it's hard to know what he means exactly by saying the conflict in Ukraine would be 'settled' before he gets into office.  I can't actually see a situation where all US funding to Ukraine gets entirely cut off - however, I can see a situation where it's reduced.  Why don't we wait and see if he actually gets elected first and then talk about what he actually does if he does get elected.  You're also worried about the wrong guy when it comes to China and Iran.  No, we really don't want to go there lol.  It would be very unpleasant for a lot of forum readers.

ah yes, he totally makes sense.  WTF?  Do you have any actual idea what comes out of this lunatic's mouth?  It's hard to even know where to start if you think this anti-competent psycopath is the answer to any of america's problems.  But you might as well dig deeper your ditch of dwindling respectability.  Maybe you can tell us how 2020 election was stolen, despite there being no evidence of this (60+ dismissed court cases are quite the testament to that, plus lawyers who lied in those filings that have been sanctioned & disbarred).  If you think Biden is the real danger, you are so brainwashed there's just not much anyone can do with you.  This is second time you've tried one of your little MAGA drive-bys.  You are just telling us you are a damn fool.

Trump is damn well going to do everything he can to undermine Ukraine & do Putin's bidding.  All his previous words and actions show this and his current words show this.  But yes, you are totally right, he's taken out of context and all will be fine.  

Edited by danfrodo

2 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

You don’t vote for someone based on the concept that you “wait until he gets elected” to judge him. Trump held up aid *the last year he was in office* and he’s continued to regurgitate praise for Putin, Xi, etc. He has a track record, he’s said he will “settle” the conflict before he even gets into office and he has routinely said he will force a deal on the parties. Since his leverage with Putin is virtually non-existent, we know what deal will disfavor the party he has already descried, abused and strong armed. The spending claims are the window dressing, not the reality. 

Please…do not kid yourself or anyone else. 

Let's get off this train before it derails.  All I will say is that we have plenty of evidence, including 4 years as President, in which to judge Trump.  At this point minds are made up and facts don't matter.

If someone can somehow think the result will be better for Ukraine with Trump instead of Biden... well, knock yourself out.

Steve

3 hours ago, The_Capt said:

If you can find and post a coherent foreign policy statement from this candidate, I will buy you a beer.

If you can find me any Trump official in the State or Defense Departments, who also had any semblance of credibility before taking the job, who thinks he had a coherent foreign policy after working in person with Trump... I'd buy you two beers.

While Trump was in obvious it was painfully clear there was no coherent foreign policy.  After Trump left office we found out how right that was.  In fact, it was worse than was apparent from the outside.

Steve

Short piece detailing the life of a recoilless gun crew serving with Azov NG unit.  Besides a Carl Gustav I can't really think of an analogue for this weapon in western armies, even the Carl Gustav doesn't really match.  Especially that can be used for high velocity, indirect fire.  Didn't the Marines have something like these up until the ~70's?  Am stretching my memory.

1 hour ago, Fenris said:

Short piece detailing the life of a recoilless gun crew serving with Azov NG unit.  Besides a Carl Gustav I can't really think of an analogue for this weapon in western armies, even the Carl Gustav doesn't really match.  Especially that can be used for high velocity, indirect fire.  Didn't the Marines have something like these up until the ~70's?  Am stretching my memory.

The US used M40 106mm RCL in Vietnam ... alone and, for the Marines, on the ONTOS (6 x 106s) ... they went out of service when TOW was introduced.

They are still widely used around the world ... and some were even used in naval applications (Minesweepers in Vietnam, Fast Patrol Boats in Greece in the 1980s).

Edited by paxromana

https://www.reddit.com/r/DroneCombat/comments/1dh6vkc/a_ukrainian_recon_drone_from_the_joker_group_of/

Another way that drones break legacy systems. The proximity detection on this missile didn't pick up the drone, so it just sailed right on by.

This subreddit has an approximate infinity of strikes on infantry as well, be warned that many of them are VERY graphic.

3 hours ago, paxromana said:

The US used M40 106mm RCL in Vietnam ... alone and, for the Marines, on the ONTOS (6 x 106s) ... they went out of service when TOW was introduced.

They are still widely used around the world ... and some were even used in naval applications (Minesweepers in Vietnam, Fast Patrol Boats in Greece in the 1980s).

Yup, they saw a lot of use in the 1950s and early '60s, especially in mountain warfare in places like Indochina, Korea and Algeria. Both the French and their opponents (Viet Minh, Algerians) were huge users, as were the IDF territorial forces and various low tech 'Third World' armies. RCLs had a lot more reach and throw weight than the 'super bazooka', and are pretty easy to train regular infantry to use. Stick 'em on a jeep and you have an ersatz and agile AT gun/field piece (eggshell with hammer).

Over time, the RPG series filled most of their AT/bunker buster niche. The heavier calibres stayed on in places though, as we see.

And Only Fools and Horses
Nato in talks to deploy more nuclear weapons

Nato is in talks to deploy more nuclear weapons in the face of a growing threat from Russia and China, the head of the alliance has said.

Jens Stoltenberg added that the bloc must show its nuclear arsenal to the world to send a direct message to its foes in an interview with The Telegraph.

He revealed there were live consultations between members on taking missiles out of storage and placing them on standby as he called for transparency to be used as a deterrent.

https://x.com/StratCom_AFU/status/1802621532583125318

https://t.me/AFUStratCom/24652

💙The StratCom of the Armed Forces of Ukraine prepared an infographic of the damage to the air defense equipment of the Russian occupiers in the temporarily occupied Crimea over the past two months.

💥 The total number of individually affected air defense systems is about 15. In particular, air defense divisions in the S-300, S-350, and S-400 modifications are affected. Dozens of launchers of the specified systems, more than 15 radar stations, and more than 10 control points were destroyed.

The Armed Forces of Ukraine continue to destroy the Russian occupiers and the day of the liberation of the Ukrainian Crimea is approaching!

@AFUStratCom

https://t.me/osirskiy/730

SYRSKY
For almost a week, I have been working on the Eastern Front in parts of various groups that maintain defense in the most critical areas of the front.

The nature of the enemy's actions has not changed significantly. In Kupyansk, Pokrovsky, Kurakhivsk, Vremivsk operational directions, it conducts active offensive actions of varying intensity, trying to break through the defense of our troops and capture important areas of the terrain or settlements that affect the stability of our defense.

The main efforts of the enemy are concentrated in the Pokrovsky direction, where the majority of his shock brigades and regiments are concentrated. Fierce fighting continues in the areas of Hlyboky, Chasovoy Yar, Staromayorsk, Robotyny, Krynyk and islands in the coastal part of the left bank of the Dnieper.

As before, the purpose of my work is to study the situation, help brigade commanders in organizing combat operations, solving problematic issues, providing additional weapons and ammunition, strengthening reserves, etc.

The enemy perfectly understands that as a result of the gradual arrival of a significant amount of weapons and military equipment from our partners, the arrival of the first F-16s, which will strengthen our air defense, time will play in our favor, and his chances of success will decrease.

Therefore, the command of the Russian troops is currently making every effort to increase the intensity and expand the geography of hostilities with the aim of maximally exhausting our troops, disrupting the preparation of reserves, and preventing the transition to active offensive actions.

Along the entire front from Kharkiv to Krynok, our servicemen demonstrate steadfastness, courage and patriotism, and most importantly, faith in our victory.

In particular, the other day, in Donetsk region, a Ukrainian soldier of one of the combat brigades of the Armed Forces of Ukraine independently captured four Russian invaders. I believe that this act is a vivid example of the bravery and high fighting spirit of our defenders and definitely deserves to be recognized with an appropriate award.

Thank you to him and all other defenders of Ukraine, who are responsible for the performance of their duties, for their selfless service!

More than ever before, the army needs the maximum support of society in all senses.
Time to unite for our victory!
Glory to Ukraine!