How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

On 7/8/2023 at 9:45 AM, The_Capt said:

So if the UA starts using a lot of this in a saturation type approach we in new territory as to what the systems can do.  I personally do not think they are a game changer, they allow the game to continue to be played which is pretty important at this point.

If HE is the sand in the glass, and DPICM is being used to refill the funnel (to really beat this metaphor while it's down) then I would expect they'll be using them a lot more and intensively than doctrine/15% would suggest.

39 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Картина Маслом is not enough reliable source. He just interpretes different OSINTers and Mashovets in very optimistic manner and write "total victory day-by-day" posts. 

His post was based on UKR TG message about pushing of UKR troops in Hrusheva Balka (terrain name) between Pryyutne and Staromajorsk. But this TG post didn't say about significant breakthrough and whole regiment crumbling. Though, yes, 394th is already heavy battered for the month of fighting.

NOEL also has some info on it. Lets wait and see what we learn tomorrow.

To the front. Velyka Novosilka axis: The AFU has advanced towards Pryyutne. Yesterday they initially managed to fend off a Russian counterattack and take advantage of the situation and pushed 1,5km deeper into Russian occupied positions. The extent might be even deeper 

F0i1hh1WwAA0vbG?format=jpg&name=4096x409

29 minutes ago, Flibby said:

We need to keep as much of the moral high ground as possible, and moreover keep the Allied nations together. Rightly or wrongly this has the potential to be to tip of a wedge being driven between those allies.

Like it or not, most of the allies don’t matter apart from absorbing wounded/civilians. In terms of military, if the US decided to give better weapons faster, that would be enough. And it’s not like the Poles, Baltics or UK have any qualms about this either.

Those same allies would also roll over on Taiwan without anything but a stern fax. The US on other cannot let Taiwan be overrun.

155mm Cluster ammo for AFU - The options on a map

US  is sending M864 Cluster Munition 155mm Artillery Shells to Ukraine  each has 72 grenades and a range of ~29km If fired 7-10km from the current frontline, Ukraine can reach 100% of Russia’s 1st line of trench fortifications and 78% of the 2nd line of trench fortifications

F0iNruEWIAIST0s?format=jpg&name=large

46 minutes ago, JonS said:

If HE is the sand in the glass, and DPICM is being used to refill the funnel (to really beat this metaphor while it's down) then I would expect they'll be using them a lot more and intensively than doctrine/15% would suggest.

Good lord where in the sweet seven hells did this stupid sand/hourglass crap come from?  Yes, I expect they are going to be doing saturation as well.  Going to be interesting to see if it works.

As always, primary sort stuff from Tatarigami. Analysis of Russian document regarding their AFU tactics. Russians clearly doctrinally try to catch up with developments, curious how this war will influence their military theories taught at academies in long run.

Also folks, if you don't wanna sign a blood pact with Elon, remember of this useful and simple tool: https://nitter.net/

Edited by Beleg85

Finally getting some reports that feel good.  Like RU unit refusing to stand, UKR able to advance in some areas.  I understand that it's not about how much terrain since it's more about corrosion, but the fact that UKR can advance is a good sign that corrosion is working.  Hopefully tomorrow's news is even better.

Also pleased that RU is attacking in Kremminna area -- horrible of course for those holding them back, but RU mechanized losses & ammo spend will be assets that Putin won't have when a crisis comes.

1 hour ago, Flibby said:

I'm not sure I agree but it's a finely balanced point. 

Chemical agents are terrible but we're not about to start sending those to Ukraine.

We need to keep as much of the moral high ground as possible, and moreover keep the Allied nations together. Rightly or wrongly this has the potential to be to tip of a wedge being driven between those allies.

If it's genuinely such a desperate situation that cluster weapons are required, the Rus must be putting up a better fight than the evidence I have suggests.

Well said, Flibby.  I am torn on this but I keep thinking about the pro/con of shortening the war vs the negatives of cluster munitions and I keep coming up w shortening the war on top.  Totally up to debate, and I won't criticize anyone that says this is a step too far.  I don't like these weapons but fear more what happens if UKR fails.

2 hours ago, dan/california said:

Mine, missile, main gun round? It doesn't have the smoke streak I associate with heavy heat rounds. 

Looks like maybe something fired by the guy in the hole in the middle of the road who jumps out right after the BMP goes past him.  But I don't see a puff of smoke or anything.

12 minutes ago, chrisl said:

Looks like maybe something fired by the guy in the hole in the middle of the road who jumps out right after the BMP goes past him.  But I don't see a puff of smoke or anything.

I think the running guy was riding on top of the BMP and jumped/fell. I think another guy falls and then doesn't even twitch, not his day. Two more guys come out/off the bmp after it stops and follow the first one. Having watched this too many times though I am leaning towards an off route mine in the pile of debris it is driving past when the boom happens.

Edit: and now I am less sure about the first running guy falling off. Maybe he did kill it with a RPG, or triggered the afore mentioned off route mine.

Edited by dan/california

2 minutes ago, dan/california said:

I think the running guy was riding on top of the BMP and jumped/fell. I think another guy falls and then doesn't even twitch, not his day. Two more guys come out/off the bmp after it stops and follow the first one. Having watched this too many times though I am leaning towards an off route mine in the pile of debris it is driving past when the boom happens.

You're right.  He comes off the BMP just before it gets to the dark spot so it looks like he's materializing out of the dark spot/hole.

5 minutes ago, dan/california said:

1 minute ago, chrisl said:

You're right.  He comes off the BMP just before it gets to the dark spot so it looks like he's materializing out of the dark spot/hole.

I thought the dark spot was a second guy, still leaning towards an off route mine. 

1 hour ago, DesertFox said:

155mm Cluster ammo for AFU - The options on a map

US  is sending M864 Cluster Munition 155mm Artillery Shells to Ukraine  each has 72 grenades and a range of ~29km If fired 7-10km from the current frontline, Ukraine can reach 100% of Russia’s 1st line of trench fortifications and 78% of the 2nd line of trench fortifications

F0iNruEWIAIST0s?format=jpg&name=large

This tweet is a little bit of misleading. It highlights ICM vs fortification, but as many of us have learned from CMCW, the ICM is not effective against a fortified enemy. ICM can be deadly against exposed enemy especially personal and soft skin vehicle, so it is handy in fend off RUS's counter attack. ICM also improves UKR side's counter-artillery efficiency, pose a threat to the hovering NOE Ka-52. But this is not a magic bullet that can make the Russian fortification line melt away in a short period of time.

10 minutes ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

This tweet is a little bit of misleading. It highlights ICM vs fortification, but as many of us have learned from CMCW, the ICM is not effective against a fortified enemy. ICM can be deadly against exposed enemy especially personal and soft skin vehicle, so it is handy in fend off RUS's counter attack. ICM also improves UKR side's counter-artillery efficiency, pose a threat to the hovering NOE Ka-52. But this is not a magic bullet that can make the Russian fortification line melt away in a short period of time.

Exactly as you say. You need to dug out the vermin first. If in the open, ICM can perfectly deal with them or with every other asset not dug in.

2 hours ago, dan/california said:

I thought the dark spot was a second guy, still leaning towards an off route mine. 

It looks like a mine.  In the road, explodes under the front in an even manner, no sign of travel.  It's odd, though, so I'm still not convinced.  I just can't think of anything else.

Video compilation of drone footage taken from the incident Haiduk posted a few pages ago in Kreminna area where the Russians lost quite a bit of armor:

Steve

4 hours ago, The_Capt said:

Good lord where in the sweet seven hells did this stupid sand/hourglass crap come from?  Yes, I expect they are going to be doing saturation as well.  Going to be interesting to see if it works.

Koffman started it, so blame him ;)

It would appear that Ukraine's best option is to use DPICM whenever firing against targets out in the open and save the HE rounds for tackling hardened targets (including trenches).

Steve