How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

The war for long-range artillery has some differs from the war for infantry %)

Serviceman of 44th artillery brigade:

The weather is f...k, there are no targets, I will lay and boost blacksmithing in Skyrim

We were delighted tonight, because Excaliburs are coming, we will shoot

And about some issues with Excaliburs detonation

Not  all [Excaliburs] explode...

We know, we hope this batch will be better

Edited by Haiduk

New Sanctions Imposed by U.S., Britain Target 'Facilitators' For Russia
https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-abramovich-usmanov-fixers-sanctioned-uk/32360583.html

the United States said its new sanctions apply to more than 120 entities and individuals across more than 20 countries, including facilitators of sanctions evasion.

https://pl.usembassy.gov/factsheet_sanctions/

https://www.ft.com/content/5f783731-b414-4ac1-a5eb-85bb2137a0dd

"The forterss Bakhmut"...

This guy is Ukrainian, who recently served in French Foreign Legion

A company, what remained of it has retreated from position/fled. We have received an order to find them and retake lost position. We found them in basements. They were scared people, which alredy dindn't want to fight. We have bursted on this position ourselves, captured it and held by our 10 men group. Two days under shellings.

Yesterday three of us were evacuated with shell-shocks. This is a miracle that my sworn brothers weren't slashed by mortar shells. They were exploding in several meters. Next an assault, sniper... And the shelling again. In conclusion: small trench and burned sector, only basements around. I will remember "Neptun" [position name] for all life

Edited by Haiduk

11 hours ago, Jiggathebauce said:

Some folks would be surprised how easy it is to blend in and not be noticed just by being a trim, clean cut, "normal" looking young man as long as you don't draw attention to yourself in the workplace and in the community...

Knowing someone online and in the locker room versus just in passing at formations and at work, can be enlightening once they let their guards down.

Well that is why there is such a thing as enhanced screening including psychological tests / profiling. 

"just wanted to inform some of his friends about what’s going on"

I've seen this a couple times and it seems to be put forward as almost an excuse. What a crock.

It's been 2 years, but I'd say this is not just on him. There is something in the overall classified info handling of the organization that is not working, and lax. Where I was there were so many controls:

a. The entire floor I worked on was a classified repository. No phones, no cameras, no recording devices, no smartwatches, no iPods - nothing with ANY memory of any kind allowed past the combo lock door. There were small lockers outside in the elevator lobby. Everyone had their own assigned to lock up their stuff and there were a bunch for visitors - drop your stuff, take the key. 

b. Inside that Closed Area (that's what it's called), classified computers are in a separate room you have to have access to.

1.  It's physically impossible to write anything to CD/DVD or USB.

2. There is a printer, and you can print out things, and you have to log into the printer and it logs the files that are printed, which is routinely audited.

3. The computer system is routinely (like weekly) audited and if you had tried to access something that you don't have access to, questions will be asked. Most of the time it's innocent. You actually did need to look up something but don't have access to something that you really did need. So you have to put in a request. Your department manager has sign off on it certifying you have a need to know.

4. If you for some reason DO need something written to CD/DVD there is a group of about 5 people in the company who will do that and provide it, again, requested and management approval. No one else can even physically do it, let alone by rules.

All of the above is for up to Confidential-Restricted Data (Restricted Data is nuclear information, whether propulsion or weapons).

For Secret and Top Secret, there is a separate Closed Area INSIDE the Closed Area. There is a two man rule. Again, NOTHING with any memory allowed inside. Nothing can leave. If you take something out of a file, it either has to be returned and logged back in, or destroyed. You cannot take anything inside to make notes with. There is marked papers inside to make notes and it stays inside.

For disposal, there are burn bags for media, and bins for shredding. The shredding is by an outside contractor, but the locked bins (Like curbside trash bins) are brought to the back door and security watches as they are loaded into the truck sized shredder.

At the door/gate, you can bring in a lunchbox and on the way home it will be checked (randomly). 

I'll stop here, but as you can see, there has to be a significant breakdown in the implementation of procedures for someone to create a security breach like this.  I thought a little context on how it's SUPPOSED to be done might be useful.  Everyone where I worked took security very seriously.  

I'd wager there is more to come after a thorough review of the organization's security procedures. We may or may not hear much about that, unless it's discovered he had active accomplices.

One caveat - this is all where I worked or visited (national labs). The problems at the White House are different. It's obvious from what has happened these last several years that security procedures are "different" there. Rules for thee and not for me.

Dave

Unnoticed but permanent small war on islands and in Dnipro delta...

A raid of UKR troops on left bank of Dnipro - the deployment of Russian troops was spotted in one of numerous recreation facilities along the river. This one is near Stara Zburyivka village 25 km SW from Kherson. UKR group reached the oppose bank with RIBs and shelled the facility with 60 mm mortar

Edited by Haiduk

This was publicided yesterday, first time Dutch MoD has created a official list of the depth and breadth of the support send to Ukraine (although it's not exhaustive, opsec remains leading principe):

https://www.defensie.nl/onderwerpen/oostflank-navo-gebied/militaire-steun-aan-oekraine 

Not much stuff there that wasn't known here, but some numbers are new I think:

Infographic (toegezegde) leveringen aan Oekraïne door Nederland (stand van zaken 5 april 2023). Informatie staat in tekst op pagina Militaire steun aan Oekraïne op defensie.nl.

12 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

This was publicided yesterday, first time Dutch MoD has created a official list of the depth and breadth of the support send to Ukraine (although it's not exhaustive, opsec remains leading principe):

https://www.defensie.nl/onderwerpen/oostflank-navo-gebied/militaire-steun-aan-oekraine 

Infographic (toegezegde) leveringen aan Oekraïne door Nederland (stand van zaken 5 april 2023). Informatie staat in tekst op pagina Militaire steun aan Oekraïne op defensie.nl.

196 YPRs? Сool! 

But frome where T-72?

If… and this is a huge if, western countries had not supported Ukraine with ammunition, arms and training, I can’t see how Ukraine could have got to now without capitulating. I assume they would have run out of heavy munitions long ago, based on latest US leak, and they wouldn’t have been able to disable anywhere near the Russian equipment/forces that they actually have. 

They wouldn’t necessarily have been able to conquer all of Ukraine militarily but the damage inflicted would have led to Ukraine’s surrender. 

Am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

196 YPRs? Сool! 

But frome where T-72?

Yeah I also didn't know it was almost 200 YPRs.
The T-72 are the ones NL procured / financed to be refurbished in Czechia (IIRC it was cooperation with US, total 90 T-72, original Czech T-72B).

25 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

15 Bailey bridges and 6 pontoons will come in handy. What is a hefttruck please? Tried to translate and I got handle truck!  

5 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

´m pretty sure it is referring to these T72s from Czechia.

Ok they bought the tanks from the Czech and give them to the Ukraine. It makes sense, or does it? Could give the money to the Ukraine and then they buy the tanks from the Czech. They could suspect some corruption and make sure the Ukraine army receives their MBTs.

6 minutes ago, Eddy said:

15 Bailey bridges and 6 pontoons will come in handy. What is a hefttruck please? Tried to translate and I got handle truck!  

A forklift :)

I wonder what the 4 'other ships' are, some article mentioned they might me RHIBs for SOF or LST type of vessels which are being phased out.

Edited by Lethaface